Wines by the glass

Quinte Girl

Hello All:

We have been given the Beverage Package by HAL for our upcoming Alaska cruise on Noordam. I've not been able to see a bar menu for this ship, but I wonder if some of you out there who have been on recent cruises can tell me if wines by the glass would be within the allottment for purchases on the card? I don't know the exact limit per purchase. I am trying to decide whether or not to take a couple of bottles of wine on board with us or not.

If anyone can provide a link to recent bar menus I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for all the great information we've found on this forum.

QG

Last week there were 2-3 reds and whites inside the $8 limit, that could be purchased on the SBP. If I recall correctly there wasn't any in that price range in the Pinnacle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello All:

We have been given the Beverage Package by HAL for our upcoming Alaska cruise on Noordam. I've not been able to see a bar menu for this ship, but I wonder if some of you out there who have been on recent cruises can tell me if wines by the glass would be within the allottment for purchases on the card? I don't know the exact limit per purchase. I am trying to decide whether or not to take a couple of bottles of wine on board with us or not.

QG

The house wines all fall at $8 and under so you are okay. You also can order the house wine in the Specialty Restaurants.

Enjoy Alaska

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello All:

QG

As posted above, your limit is $8 per glass with the Beverge Package and you are not permitted to just pay the extra above that.

Bar Menu from Nieuw Amsterdam, May 2016:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bar-Menu1-1.pdf

Scroll down to Page 13 to see wine by the glass in the Manhattan Dining Room:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Dining-Room-Wine-List.pdf

Edited by Crew News

the Cellar Master. Sometimes wines not listed on the menu will be available by the glass. On my recent Rotterdam cruise, a quite drinkable Beringer Stone Cellar Merlot was not listed anywhere either by the bottle or by the glass. It just squeaked by under the limit at $7.95 a glass, $2.25 more expensive than the house Merlot, but ten times better.

Thank you for all your information! Hope I like the house wines!!!!:)

I hope you do too! For an extra .50 cents you can get a pretty good one that they serve in the Pinnacle Grill. The trouble is...they won't let you just pay the extra fifty cents! Grrr...:mad: You have to pay the entire $8.50 (or more) to get the good stuff. It's maddening but lucky for me I'm more a beer guy but I do like a nice red with my steak!

I found the Riesling to be pretty drinkable. It's called "Squonamie Valley" (or something like that - I'm sure I butchered the spelling). Anyway, I don't know if it's officially a "house wine", but it's definitely under the limit.

I found the Riesling to be pretty drinkable. It's called "Squonamie Valley" (or something like that - I'm sure I butchered the spelling). Anyway, I don't know if it's officially a "house wine", but it's definitely under the limit.

I'm pretty sure you mean "Snoqualmie". :D I don't think I've had it, but there are some pretty good Washington wines, so this is probably decent if you like Riesling. I'll have to give it a try, if I'm in the mood for a white wine, though I usually drink reds.

the Cellar Master. Sometimes wines not listed on the menu will be available by the glass. On my recent Rotterdam cruise, a quite drinkable Beringer Stone Cellar Merlot was not listed anywhere either by the bottle or by the glass. It just squeaked by under the limit at $7.95 a glass, $2.25 more expensive than the house Merlot, but ten times better.

X2

Definitely ask the beverage steward if you do not see something you want on the 'SBP menu.'. Sauvignon blancs were also available but not on the menu for the SBP. Oosterdam May 2016.

Dennis

I'm pretty sure you mean "Snoqualmie". :D I don't think I've had it, but there are some pretty good Washington wines, so this is probably decent if you like Riesling. I'll have to give it a try, if I'm in the mood for a white wine, though I usually drink reds.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Told you I butchered it! :o

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Told you I butchered it! :o

No problem. Lots of things here in WA are hard to spell and/or pronounce. The only reason I corrected it is so that anyone trying to "google" it would know the correct spelling.

Remember that the price + 15% SC MUST be under $8!

The menu price has to be under the limit. The service charge doesn't enter the equation. (Basically what Dakrewser said.)

The menu price has to be under the limit. The service charge doesn't enter the equation. (Basically what Dakrewser said.)

Can you imagine sitting around after a few glasses, trying to make those calculations in your head? :p:confused::p

We've enjoyed the Explore 4 package more than once (it can be a 'spoiler' really) so I'll add my two cents.

If you like to return to your cabin in the late afternoon for, say, a movie or reading session you can combine two pours into one regular 12 oz. glass (or at least the bartenders did so that served us) so you need not go back & forth for single pours while using the beverage package feature.

Likewise, if your a beer drinker you can take #2 'brewski's' back to the cabin at once. Some bartenders will require a 5 minute break between card swipes while others do it all at once. I'm not sure what the standard policy is really but never-the-less it works for me (and that's all that matter, no?).

Your cabin will have a couple of wine glasses as standard setup so you just need to transfer the 'pours' to the appropriate glassware.

Have yourselves a great cruise.

Bob:)

WRONG!! Read the bev pkg T&C below which specifically says Gratuitities are included:.

Terms & Conditions

*Fares and Explore4 offers are based on Promo(s) KA/KC/JA. Featured fares are per person based on double occupancy, cruise or Land+Sea Journeys only. Fares are in U.S. dollars. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are additional and range from $108.72 to $769.66. Subject to availability. Explore4 offers are per stateroom based on double occupancy, for 1st and 2nd guests sharing a stateroom and excludes 3rd/4th guests, except as provided herein. Explore4 offers are available for new bookings only, apply only to the cruise portion of Alaska Land+Sea Journeys, are not combinable with any other discounts, are not transferable, are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Offers are applicable on select 2015, 2016 and 2017 departures. The Signature Beverage Package value of US$1,400 is based on a 14 day cruise and has a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced $8.00USD or lower including service charges. Signature Beverage Package excludes purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. Signature Beverage Packages are not transferable or refundable and may be used only on the cruise portion of Land+Sea Journeys. Participants may order only one drink at a time and must be 21 years or older. No sharing is permitted. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the Signature Beverage Package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason, including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated guests. Signature Beverage Package has a retail value of US$50 per person per day, including service charges. Guests receive one complimentary Pinnacle Grill dinner per person. Offer is not transferable or refundable. Reservations and dining times will be assigned and a confirmation card will be placed in your stateroom upon embarkation day. Offer excludes Specialty Dining Events in the Pinnacle Grill such as Le Cirque, De Librije, Master Chef’s Table and Sommelier Dinner. Third/fourth offer is based on sharing a stateroom with 1st and 2nd guests, valid on select sailings, and are based on Promo Z3. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses apply to all 3rd/4th offers. Reduced deposit offer is valid for new bookings only. Bookings made on voyages requiring immediate final payment are not eligible for a reduced deposit. Suite offer: Guests who book a suite category stateroom receive one complimentary Canaletto dinner per person and $150 USD per person ($300 USD per stateroom) onboard spending credit. Suite offers apply only to guests 1 and 2 in the stateroom and are not transferable or refundable. The onboard spending credit is not combinable with regional discounts, Net Rates or other travel agency exclusive offers. For more information about our stateroom categories and suite descriptions, and to view deck plans and for full terms and conditions applicable to your cruise, please refer to hollandamerica.com or the appropriate Holland America brochure. Offers are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Other restrictions may apply. Explore4 offers end October 30, 2015. Ships' Registry: The Netherlands.

WRONG!! Read the bev pkg T&C below which specifically says Gratuitities are included....

We've had the beverage package on more than one occasion. It's the menu price. You DO NOT take a $7.95 drink and add 15% ($9.14) and say, "Hey! That's over $8. I need to get something else."

You're misinterpreting the program. The package, whether purchased or comp'd, includes the gratuities, but they're not a factor in what counts as $8 and under. It's the menu price.

Seriously.

Really.

I mean it.

We've looked into it a bit. ;) http://forums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1999316

If you've had the SBP more recently than a month ago and you're 100% certain that it's changed, let us know which ship and what you weren't allowed to order. Your reasoning excluded all the Signature Cocktails and Drinks of the Day which are usually $7.95.

Edited by POA1

Remember that the price + 15% SC MUST be under $8!

If the price that they use is after the SC is added, can you tell me what beverages you were able to get with your SBP? Or which ones you were refused?

Thanks, because we have had the package on a few cruises and never ran into that situation.

WRONG!! Read the bev pkg T&C below which specifically says Gratuitities are included:.

Terms & Conditions

...includes all beverages priced $8.00USD or lower including service charges.

The problem is that many of HAL's documents are not well written, resulting in potential interpretations that differ from reality. Based on personal experience and having read innumerable threads and posts on the topic, I have no doubt that the following wording better reflects the actual situation by substituting "and their" for "including":

...includes all beverages priced $8.00USD or lower and their service charges.

Edited by Fouremco

When I had Explore 4 (a couple of years ago), the drink price limit was $7.00. Every night I was able to order, and use the SBC to pay for, my $6.95 drink.

I don't care what the terms & conditions said, I know what I got for my money.

When the price of cocktails went up, so did the amount of what was covered under the SBC.

TennesseeTitan:

When was the last time you bought the SBC or had Explore4?? Thee information I and others have posted reflects actual usage. Once again, CC gets it right, and HAL marketing gets it wrong.