11:13 AM Newark Flight?

SeaWatch12

Departing the Summit in Bayonne from one of this fall's New England/Canada sailings.

Do you think booking a 11:13 AM flight (domestic) out of Newark is a risk?

Anyone ever catch a flight that early?

Thanks, Mark

Departing the Summit in Bayonne from one of this fall's New England/Canada sailings.

Thanks, Mark

You shouldn't have a problem. The ship docks at 7am and you will be able to walk off by 8am. The airport is about 15 minutes away. Give yourself enough time for the security lines.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Choice Air does not give that flight time as an option.

That's why I thought I would ask, would book the flight on my own.

It is a Sunday morning, hopefully traffic would be light.

Mark

Although we were on a Bermuda cruise, we could've been at EWR by 8:30am very easily if we wanted. Disembarkation seemed very organized.

We got to the airport around 2pm. I'm sure it gets much more crowded the later you're there on a Sunday. By that time, the security lines were horrendous!! :eek: We were in the first class security line and even it was really packed and slow-moving. We were lucky we weren't in any rush. It must be quieter in the early morning hours. Just get the lead out and get to the airport before everyone else. ;)

My wife and i were due to board a Southwest Flight from Newark to Chicago Midway at 11:30 a.m. last Sunday. We used a Celebrity Private Destination transfer and were at the airport before 9:00 a.m. We had TSA Pre-Check and were at the gate by 9:15 a.m. Very easy. This is the first time I have flown from this airport, but I also have read on Cruise Critic and in the media that TSA lines at Newark are long during certain times of the day.

If you want further information about the new Celebrity Private Destination airport trasfer program please read my post called Observations on the Summit and Cabin 1140 which I posted this morning. My review is pending review by Cruise Critic, but should be up in a few days. Hope this information helps. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

You should have no problem, just be sure to disembark by, say, 8:30. I suggest you grab a taxi and head to EWR...maybe 20 minutes or so that time of the day on a Sunday. Biggest obstacle will probably be the TSA lines. Our experience in early May was pretty much chaos, and that was around 10 or 10:30 on a Sunday morning. We had pre-check and that meant absolutely nothing. EWR security lines are very poorly placed and have the feel of a make-shift, temporary and confusing cattle call. You'd think after being at this for years they would streamline the set-up and the process, both for the travelers and the TSA employees. But then, that's a lot to ask of a government agency. The earlier you get there, the better off you'll be.

Thanks, Mark

1:00pm is the earliest recommended EWR flight departure.

Thanks, Mark

Mark your home port and airport are the only place in the world we would be comfortable with that time frame.

1:00pm is the earliest recommended EWR flight departure.

I guess that is why Choice Air is not offering the 11:13 flight.

The next non stops from EWR to FLL (on two airlines) is not till 2:25.

Hate to wait around the airport all of those hours. Had to wait several hours when we got off the Summit in San Juan once and it was such a waste of time, especially since we could of made the earlier flight if we were booked on it.

440 entrance ramp to the 78 extension is under construction, a new over pass is being built. the Bayonne bridge is being revamped, raising the road into the Arch and they close the bridge at 9:AM.

You are at rush hour time with everyone trying to head somewhere, traffic should be moving.

the time it takes to get to Liberty Int'l Airport, is a few miles, it is a good run.

20 minutes no traffic empty road. If you leave yourself a 2.5 hr margain from car to airport, you will make it

I guess that is why Choice Air is not offering the 11:13 flight.

The next non stops from EWR to FLL (on two airlines) is not till 2:25.

Hate to wait around the airport all of those hours. Had to wait several hours when we got off the Summit in San Juan once and it was such a waste of time, especially since we could of made the earlier flight if we were booked on it.

Better to wait an extra hour or so than miss your flight! ;)

Mark

Choice Air requires a NOON flight or later.

We tried to get an 11:50 AM flight out of Vancouver last month and could not do it with Choice Air even with the TA calling the Zenith desk.

We are on the Sept 18 Summit cruise and booked a 3 PM return flight.

From what I remember Newark is one of the worst in the country for security.

You can make it to the airport around 9 AM, the problem is more Newark International Airport and lines for security and checking luggage.

Summit docks at 7 AM and they start with walk-offs at 7:30 AM and the rest they start at 8 am (sometimes a bit earlier). The past few cruises we had an 8:10 am time and they called our number just before 8 am, we weren't even at our designated lounge yet. When you fill out your disembarkation form just check the 8 AM box.

We are usually home grocery shopping at 9:45 am and we live in CT. We have done the Canada/New England cruise out of Bayonne on Celebrity 8 times.

As you get off on a Sunday you should not have a problem with traffic even with all the construction. There's no rush hour on a Sunday morning as some other poster has mentioned.

Edited by CruisingChick

We are on the cruise before you. We just flew pbi-ewr on a 3pm flight that was so delayed we didn't get to jersey til 8:30.

We could have booked the early flight but don't need the aggravation. booked the flight after 2 and will linger on the ship then hang out in the United lounge. No price difference but less anxiety......supposed to dock early but from experience things happen.

We are on the cruise before you. We just flew pbi-ewr on a 3pm flight that was so delayed we didn't get to jersey til 8:30.

We could have booked the early flight but don't need the aggravation. booked the flight after 2 and will linger on the ship then hang out in the United lounge. No price difference but less anxiety......supposed to dock early but from experience things happen.

Not sure what your definition of "linger on the ship" is, but you will have to be out of your stateroom at 8 am, the buffet, MDR, Cafe al Bacio all close at 8:00 AM and last off the ship is by 9:30 AM.

That flight should be just fine. Choice Air usually books starting at noon. Typically, the bus has to fill and we all know about laggards. Just be sure you get off the ship early and carry your luggage off with you. That is the safest bet.

I usually get worried booking that early but it has worked out each time. Got to the airport real early each time.

Mark

We did a 10:15 out of Newark from self-disembarking with suite guests on NCL Breakaway and had no problem on a Sunday. We did schedule a car to pick us up at the pier - very helpful and quick. Newark was one airport where our Trusted Traveler didn't really help us as the priority line was not open at all for the terminal we flew out of, however, there were only a few people in the lines and we got through fairly quickly with plenty of time to buy lunch at the airport to eat on the plane before we took off.

Not sure what your definition of "linger on the ship" is, but you will have to be out of your stateroom at 8 am, the buffet, MDR, Cafe al Bacio all close at 8:00 AM and last off the ship is by 9:30 AM.

Exactly. There is no reason to linger on the ship. Everything is closed at 8:00. We walked off at 8:10. Our group time, and my ride got me to the Metropark train station which is a good bit farther than EWR in time to catch a 9:37 Amtrak.

Edited by Charles4515

I think you can make it if you do walk-off disembarkation and get the lead out to the airport. Getting there isn't the problem, it's those massive TSA lines. Do you have expedited security there? If you're in first class or have other ways of getting in that line, that would really help. We were lucky to have the shorter first class TSA line, but even so, it was still REALLY busy.

I think you can make it if you do walk-off disembarkation and get the lead out to the airport. Getting there isn't the problem, it's those massive TSA lines. Do you have expedited security there? If you're in first class or have other ways of getting in that line, that would really help. We were lucky to have the shorter first class TSA line, but even so, it was still REALLY busy.

Newark is infamous for closing/not opening TSA lines. Last year on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend I was flying to Ottawa. There were two very long lines going into that terminal and even with two obviously long lines they closed one. On a holiday weekend. I ALWAYS leave extra time if I'm flying out of Newark!

Thank you for all of the responses to my original post.

I appreciate your reactions, both the "It's doable" and the "Not worth the try" remarks.

If I wasn't so anxious to get home after two weeks away, I'd spend a night or two in NYC and fly home from LGA!

Thank you for all of the responses to my original post.

I appreciate your reactions, both the "It's doable" and the "Not worth the try" remarks.

If I wasn't so anxious to get home after two weeks away, I'd spend a night or two in NYC and fly home from LGA!

Put me in the "it's doable column" I think you will have plenty of time. Traffic is light on Sunday mornings in that area. As mentioned by others, as long as you self embark first thing and all is on a normal schedule, you should not have any issues making your flight (even with the Security lines).

• 7 months later...

I have been meaning to come back and post that we had no problem at all.

Were one of the first off of the ship, didn't have to wait to long for the luggage and was at the airport by 9:05. I am glad it was a Sunday, that probably helped. Also, I think arranging private transportation to the airport made it work for us.