Why is Princess still going to Istanbul?

Loreni

Princess is one of the few cruise lines still going. Most other cruise lines are not. This seems like outlier behavior and I can imagine several reasons for it.

1) Princess has different information than the other lines (either more or less). This causes Princess to evaluate the risks/benefits differently.

2) Princess has the same information, but still evaluates the risks benefits differently. This might be because they think their passengers represent a unique demographic that will evaluate the risks and benefits differently. For example, if most Princess passengers have never been to Istanbul before and never expect to return, they could have a higher risk tolerance.

3) Pincess has already decided to drop Istanbul, but isn't ready to announce. Maybe they are trying to line up the best alerternative port they can before announcing.

It makes it difficult for those trying to decide if they should cancel. For some people, if they can't get enough information, the default decision will be to cancel.

What do you think the reason is?

IMO.. After this weeks events, I think your #3 is the most likely at this point, based on previous history regarding suspect itinerary locations they're probably actively nailing down an alternate as we speak

Look for some kind of announcement from Princess sometime soon

Srpilo

I also suspect #3 is the most likely. I was on the most recent Princess stop on the Royal on June 9. Had a great stop and tour but even in the days prior to that there were many discussions of diverting. Glad we went but as I posted elsewhere my DW now says she would not want to leave the ship if it was porting at this time.

There is another current thread discussing this situation:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2372026

Also USA Today has an article about Istanbul cancellations & states "the only major lines still calling in Istanbul this year are Seabourn, Holland America, Silversea Cruises and Princess Cruises".

http://usat.ly/29cNUlf

Even though none of the attacks have occurred in Kudasai(sp?) I am apprehensive over our stop there in September. Probably should take our excursion but I am hesitant. If Princess does cancel that stop it will be slightly disappointing, but at least I don't have to make the call with either a regret of not going or going with something catastrophic happening. I am leaning to the former as being preferred. Plus, 2 sea days on a med cruise will be a nice break...

A different perspective is that the next most likely target will not be where there has already been one. I was also on the last stop in Istanbul and call me crazy, but I'd go again.....

Princess is one of the few cruise lines still going. Most other cruise lines are not. This seems like outlier behavior and I can imagine several reasons for it.

1) Princess has different information than the other lines (either more or less). This causes Princess to evaluate the risks/benefits differently.

2) Princess has the same information, but still evaluates the risks benefits differently. This might be because they think their passengers represent a unique demographic that will evaluate the risks and benefits differently. For example, if most Princess passengers have never been to Istanbul before and never expect to return, they could have a higher risk tolerance.

3) Pincess has already decided to drop Istanbul, but isn't ready to announce. Maybe they are trying to line up the best alerternative port they can before announcing.

It makes it difficult for those trying to decide if they should cancel. For some people, if they can't get enough information, the default decision will be to cancel.

What do you think the reason is?

You are assuming they are still going when you don't have any facts to substantiate that other then you have not heard that it was canceled from Princess.

Read post #28 here....

Princess is very conservative when it comes to deciding whether to cancel a port or itinerary due to weather or security reasons. They're between a rock and a hard place. They're criticized for not making a decision yet if they cancel, they'll be criticized for being wimps and not going. I've seen the violent and critical reaction many times when ports were canceled. My observation is that Princess takes a "wait and see" attitude with Plans B and C ready to go.

The airport has re-opened and things appear to be getting back to normal in Istanbul. I read a report in a newsletter last night that Princess was "likely" to cancel Istanbul but a lot can happen in a week. If you get to go and have a fabulous time, you'll be glad you had the opportunity.

Have no interest in going back to that area at all. After recent attacks I feel fully justified in not going back. And I tell any one thinking of it to avoid it like the plague it is.

A different perspective is that the next most likely target will not be where there has already been one.

From a Cruise Critic news article:

"The bombing is the sixth -- and deadliest -- terrorist attack in Turkey this year."

I am tired of hearing "There's already been an attack there. Most likely the next attack will be somewhere else."

This is the 4th, let me repeat, 4th bombing in Istanbul in 2016. The terror threat in Istanbul is escalating. The airport was not a "one off" attack. It is increasingly likely there will be more attacks in Istanbul. It isn't safe and Princess needs to pull out of Turkey all together.

"Hope you still go. You'll have a wonderful time!" No. We won't. We will stay on the ship - something I hate doing in any port. Istanbul is unlike any other cruise port right now. It is far too dangerous. Please stop encouraging cruisers to put their lives needlessly at risk. Just stop already.

And there is a thread on the Cunard page that there are a number of people angry be cause they are not going to Turkey and they want their money back!

Princess usually goes by US State Department warnings and so far the State Department has not said to avoid Istanbul.

I was booked on a Princess cruise with Egypt on the itinerary when about 3 1/2months before the sailing the revolution occurred.

Exactly three months before embarkation day (and still before final payment), the itinerary was changed when the State Department advised against travel to Egypt.

Since it was before final payment, many who had booked the cruise because of the Egyptian port cancelled. We kept our booking in the hopes things would get better and also because the changed itinerary was also a good one.

And a number of people then booked the cruise because of the new itinerary.

One month before embarkation Princess sent out the following announcement: "Please be advised that the situation in Egypt has calmed considerably since wide-spread protests earlier this year. As such, Princess is

reinstating the previously scheduled overnight call to Alexandria on May 21-22 that was cancelled in February. "

We (and I assume others who had wanted the Egyptian port) were very happy about this. The ship did call there and we had a fantastic two days in Cairo.

On the other hand, a number of people who had booked after the alternative itinerary was announced were vey unhappy that they were not getting the cruise itinerary they had paid for.

By the way, the ship sailed at less than 75% capacity.

Hi

Just wondering if your cruise is supposed to stop in Kusadasi as well. If so are you still stopping there?

I'm on the September cruise to this area and just trying to get a feel of what Princess might do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Princess usually goes by US State Department warnings and so far the State Department has not said to avoid Istanbul.

I was booked on a Princess cruise with Egypt on the itinerary when about 3 1/2months before the sailing the revolution occurred.

Exactly three months before embarkation day (and still before final payment), the itinerary was changed when the State Department advised against travel to Egypt.

Since it was before final payment, many who had booked the cruise because of the Egyptian port cancelled. We kept our booking in the hopes things would get better and also because the changed itinerary was also a good one.

And a number of people then booked the cruise because of the new itinerary.

One month before embarkation Princess sent out the following announcement: "Please be advised that the situation in Egypt has calmed considerably since wide-spread protests earlier this year. As such, Princess is

reinstating the previously scheduled overnight call to Alexandria on May 21-22 that was cancelled in February. "

We (and I assume others who had wanted the Egyptian port) were very happy about this. The ship did call there and we had a fantastic two days in Cairo.

On the other hand, a number of people who had booked after the alternative itinerary was announced were vey unhappy that they were not getting the cruise itinerary they had paid for.

By the way, the ship sailed at less than 75% capacity.

You might want to check the State Department list if restrictions and cautions again. Not only for Istanbul but the entire country.

I would not be surprised if it is #3. They have 5 more days until their ship is back in Istanbul if my memory serves me right. I'll be watching to see what happens. I doubt they will cancel Kusadasi. Istanbul, I would almost bet on it. This makes me so sad. Part of the reason we picked this cruise was to return to Istanbul. We spent 3 nights there 3 years ago and I love this city. (LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!) In respect to the bombing, I am genuinely now concerned about safety. If it were just my husband and I, I would still be like lets go! But we are traveling with our daughter and friends and if anything were to happen to them, I would be destroyed. Their safety comes first. (Please no lectures about my safety. I know, I know....)

Latest update on the Cruise Critic news page:

Princess Cruises. Royal Princess was due into Istanbul next Thursday, July 7, but has canceled the call. A spokesperson said: "Princess Cruises will cancel the July 7 call of Royal Princess to Istanbul and instead visit Rhodes. The next call to Istanbul for Royal Princess is scheduled for July 28. That call, and the remaining Istanbul schedule for 2016, will be evaluated over the next couple of weeks and decisions will be made based on the available information and circumstances at the time. The smaller Turkish ports such as Kusadasi will remain on the schedule for the present time. Guests who have prepaid Istanbul shore excursions will be reimbursed via their onboard account.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7102

Princess is very conservative when it comes to deciding whether to cancel a port or itinerary due to weather or security reasons. They're between a rock and a hard place. They're criticized for not making a decision yet if they cancel, they'll be criticized for being wimps and not going. I've seen the violent and critical reaction many times when ports were canceled. My observation is that Princess takes a "wait and see" attitude with Plans B and C ready to go.

The airport has re-opened and things appear to be getting back to normal in Istanbul. I read a report in a newsletter last night that Princess was "likely" to cancel Istanbul but a lot can happen in a week. If you get to go and have a fabulous time, you'll be glad you had the opportunity.

And if you get shot or bombed your family will be sad that you took the opportunity:mad:

Princess probably think that people who especially want to visit Istanbul would cancel their cruise if they removed it as a destination On the other hand, considering the present situation some people WILL cancel their cruise if they stilll show Istanbul as part of the cruise.

Some guy (or gal) is probably using a computer to see which decision is the more profitable ($$$$) for the company. :rolleyes:

You are assuming they are still going when you don't have any facts to substantiate that other then you have not heard that it was canceled from Princess.

Read post #28 here....

Here are some facts: As for today 07/01/'16:

July 23, Aug 20, Sep. 10

Royal Princess Greece & Turkey

Ports: Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy | Naples, Italy (for Capri & Pompeii) | Crete (Heraklion), Greece | Kusadasi, Turkey (for Ephesus) |Istanbul, Turkey | Mykonos, Greece | Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Your reference: #28

"We ran into the same thing on the Island in November

Princess already knows they are not stopping there.

99% of the time they will not notify passengers until the cruise is underway.

We found out about 5 days into the cruise and about 3 days before the stop in Istanbul.

I knew it was canceled right after we boarded when I got a copy of my folio to check my OBC's and saw port charges were already credited to our account for the cancellation of Istanbul.

We ran into the same thing on the Island in November."

The point is that they wait until you're on board to notify you of the cancelation!

Someone on the July 2 Roll Call mentioned that they received an itinerary change on their sailing, Rhodes instead of Istanbul. I wonder if there will be any changes for Ephesus?