Will Not complain about Carnival's Beverage Policy again

VolzCruiser

This is exactly what I was thinking. With unlimited beverages included in most NCL sailings, why is this even an issue? I'll be the first to admit I'm not an NCL expert. I sailed on them once to Alaska in a so-called Junior Suite, and their cabins are so tiny, I never even considered them again. But I have read the last couple years about their beverage package promotion that provides beverages when you book and the Sky that includes drinks, so I just don't understand the big deal with this.

NCL does include Unlitited Beverage but the price gets increased for it. I looked on one cruise companies prices without the package and another that did offer it, it was a real big difference in price. Same as in the UK your gratuities are included in the package whereas in US they are not, so the norm is UK is more expensive normally as it charges extra to cover the charges. We have sailed with NCL 8 times in 6 years and platnium members, how much things have changed, the biggest is the crew, they used to be so friendly and helpful, now days they act like passengers are a pain, they are rude and unhelpful most of the time. I don't know what happened to them.

Many complain about Carnival's requirement of all adults in same cabin having to buy Cheers (I agree, dumb rule) but this tops that:

NCL's Package

Enjoy a wide selection of soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 USD during your entire cruise.

Prepaid @ $79.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 18% gratuity and beverage service charge.

Beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom, additional stateroom, adjoining stateroom or travel with.

Individuals under the age of 21 will be required to purchase the Soda Program

Wow that stinks... guess you could get around that by making sure that each stateroom within your overall party is on its own booking.

Just for the heck of it, I just compared NCL to our upcoming Sunshine cruise. Same dates, similar eastern Caribbean. NCL is advertising free 3rd and 4th person (we are a family of 4) and then their free add ons. Just for the heck of it I chose the beverage add on plus the free 3rd and 4th person in a small balcony. We have an upgraded balcony on Sunshine. So, when adding it all up and including gratuities, the NCL cruise was over $500 more than my upgraded Sunshine cruise. We don't drink that much. If we had chosen the free specialty dining package, it would have only covered the first 2 people and we would have to pay for specialty dining for the 3rd and 4th person. Sticking with Carnival. Enough said.

Wow that stinks... guess you could get around that by making sure that each stateroom within your overall party is on its own booking.

That is a possibility but it does sound as if minors are still going to be made to purchase soda package. It would require some type of spreadsheets for bookings if it is a large party trying to avoid the 'must buy it' clause. ;)

Not sure how NCL handles dining. What would happen if you attempt to link up? Will they step in with this ludicrous requirement?

If I do find a bar that has cans I get a warm can normally flat poured over ice just like CCL. YUCK!

I have never understood this complain. I get the bottomless bubbles on Carnival for every one of my cruises. Yes they pour it from a possibly already opened can over ice, but I have never once received one that is flat. Exactly how long do you think those open cans sit there? Coke will not go flat even within an hour. I sincerely doubt they have open cans that sit that long unused.

That is a possibility but it does sound as if minors are still going to be made to purchase soda package. It would require some type of spreadsheets for bookings if it is a large party trying to avoid the 'must buy it' clause. ;)

Not sure how NCL handles dining. What would happen if you attempt to link up? Will they step in with this ludicrous requirement?

There is no assigned dining on NCL so no need to hook anything up. If 12 people show up for dinner 12 people will be seated together if desired. Eventually.;)

I have not read all the postings, but I see a couple people said they would scratch NCL off their list. Well we did that several years ago. We went on a brand new Star ship. We never seen/heard so many people complaining about the ship, etc. I said the ONLY way I would ever did any of NCL ships, would be for someone to give it to me FREE.

Many complain about Carnival's requirement of all adults in same cabin having to buy Cheers (I agree, dumb rule) but this tops that:

NCL's Package

Enjoy a wide selection of soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to and including $15 USD during your entire cruise.

Prepaid @ $79.00 USD per person per day x Cruise Days plus 18% gratuity and beverage service charge.

Beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom, additional stateroom, adjoining stateroom or travel with.

Individuals under the age of 21 will be required to purchase the Soda Program

The other "surprise" is that all drinks purchased while in port accrue additional tax as well, if applicable People on NCL have reported the extra charges on the "free" UBPs to be in the hundreds. I sailed Carnival last year and could purchase Coke Zero, next year booked on a 16 nt. Norwegian cruise and their "wide selection" of beverages are limited Pepsi products, especially diet, no bottled water, no specialty coffees. Yes, it should be interesting when the first cases of water and soda start piling up on the dock.

We are platinum cruisers on both Carnival and NCL. Where this policy hits us is on the NCL cruises to Bermuda. Bermuda has a delicious drink called Barritt's ginger beer (a soda) that is sold at the dockyard. Now we can't bring a local beverage on board.

Not happy.

The other "surprise" is that all drinks purchased while in port accrue additional tax as well, if applicable People on NCL have reported the extra charges on the "free" UBPs to be in the hundreds. I sailed Carnival last year and could purchase Coke Zero, next year booked on a 16 nt. Norwegian cruise and their "wide selection" of beverages are limited Pepsi products, especially diet, no bottled water, no specialty coffees. Yes, it should be interesting when the first cases of water and soda start piling up on the dock.

Taxes are charged by all while in US ports. Even if you have Cheers you must pay tax on individual drinks while in US port.

I compared carnival and NCL for our upcoming cruise.

Our transportation to either NYC or Baltimore is a drive for us so that equals out.

I looked at ports of call and cost...

NCL offering "free" was actually the same as our Pride cruise with Cheers.

So compare prides... Free does not always mean better. Nothing is Free lol

Taxes are charged by all while in US ports. Even if you have Cheers you must pay tax on individual drinks while in US port.

Not sure by what you mean by all. Sailed Princess and RCCL recently, no taxes with beverage package on either.

Not sure by what you mean by all. Sailed Princess and RCCL recently, no taxes with beverage package on either.

Should have stated all depending upon the state they sail from. They are required to collect state sales taxes in those states that require them to do so.

So it is not just a NCL 'surprise' fee.

Edited by Bookbug53

NCL does include Unlitited Beverage but the price gets increased for it. I looked on one cruise companies prices without the package and another that did offer it, it was a real big difference in price. Same as in the UK your gratuities are included in the package whereas in US they are not, so the norm is UK is more expensive normally as it charges extra to cover the charges. We have sailed with NCL 8 times in 6 years and platnium members, how much things have changed, the biggest is the crew, they used to be so friendly and helpful, now days they act like passengers are a pain, they are rude and unhelpful most of the time. I don't know what happened to them.

I very much agree with your statement about the crew. We have sailed NCL several times and if I was asked to compare CCL and NCL, i always said NCL crew far surpasses CCL. Not so on my NCL to Alaska this past May. The crew seemed to not care about the pasenger and some were downright rude! And don't even get me started on how NASTY the public bathrooms were...

As far as a corking fee, we have and opener. And all the ladys meet up at one of our rooms, and uncork and have a glass to take down to dinner. Myself I'm looking for the martini bar, prior to dinner. Not a wine guy.

NCL used to be a value line and now the sailing cost is comparable with other lines that offer more for the same $$$$. We were never brand loyal but tended to sail NCL for the value, since that has been equalized with other lines then we shop for the best itinerary and price. We are currently looking at Celebrity to Alaska. Have fun on your trip, I know it will be good for your family.

Up until the last few years, NCL has been my favorite cruiseline....however, I can honestly say that Carnival is now my favorite. Unfortunately, we have booked an 11 day Alaska/West coast cruise with NCL...and it is paid for...and we are excited for the trip...so we are going, but it will probably be the last trip we book with NCL.

The no carry on beverage seems like a small thing on the surface, however when combined with all the other "changes", it is the proverbial straw for us. We do have an all inclusive beverage package on this sailing, BUT....it doesn't include bottled water, nor does it include cans of soda. I like to wake up and have a cold can of soda to start my day. I don't want to have to find a bar that is open at 0600 to get my morning soda. I certainly am not going to pay $40 for bottled water. The beverage package has very little value for my husband and I as we are not drinkers. We usually have 7 or 8 drinks TOTAL over the course of a cruise. We want bottled water and cans of soda and we can't get them with the all inclusive drink package. And we can't carry them on.....

Goodbye NCL..........Goodluck!

As far as a corking fee, we have and opener. And all the ladys meet up at one of our rooms, and uncork and have a glass to take down to dinner. Myself I'm looking for the martini bar, prior to dinner. Not a wine guy.

They are charging a corkage fee when you board, not when or where you open it.

I have already been surprised by NCL's "free" promotions that add significantly to you final cost. Add in the fee for room service and forget it. Plus an 18% tip for opening a can of soda? Please. And that beverage package costs $80 a day of you purchase it!? That is simply laughable.

Not defending NCL, as I've never cruised them, but with the UBP that is offered on nearly every cruise, and booze included on the SKY, does it matter that they restricted bringing beverages on board?:confused:

that ubp isn't free though. they expect you to pay about 96 dollars in gratuities for each person on a 7 night cruise for the 'free' package.

that ubp isn't free though. they expect you to pay about 96 dollars in gratuities for each person on a 7 night cruise for the 'free' package.

Yes, you do pay an 18% gratuity fee per day on NCL for the UBP which for a 7 day cruise is approximately $96, but when you sail Carnival, don't you pay $49 per day pp for their beverage package and then pay 15% pp per day in gratuities?

Why are people so appalled that on NCL you have to pay gratuities for the beverage package but on Carnival it is okay to have to pay $49 per day PLUS 15% gratuities?:confused:

Yes, it does matter to many, many people. Not everyone spends their cruises drinking alcohol to the extent that it pays to purchase a UBP. And don't think they are free or perks; they are figured into the price of the cabins plus you still have to pay for port taxes and 18% gratuities on some of the lines (Norwegian, we're looking at you!). Carnival did the smart thing when they made bottled water available at a reasonable cost plus they have Coke products on board (I drank Coke Zero on Carnival, no problem). Restricting bottled goods isn't all of it; they used to have an unlimited amount of alternative brands of soft drinks, juices, etc. allowed for carry-on. Carnival still allows a 12-pack per person.

Not everyone loves Pepsi, not everyone can tolerate ship water, not everyone is on a short party cruise. We personally sail different lines depending on itinerary more than anything. We don't bring on water but would have brought Coke on a Norwegian 16 nt. TA next April. I feel for those who are locked into a new policy that affects them and will not make fun of anyone whose needs are different than mine. I hope that everyone finds their way to enjoy their cruises, tolerate our differences, and remember that we are more alike than different.

Well said...I am a coke girl...and probably would then have to bring a camping Britta water purifirer something or other..I could make it all work but it is nasty...still want to try them..but lousy rules with the choice and allowances. And that water not included...that is much worse than the wine or pop choice issue. Hope they have ice tea and lemonade free...something...

Yes, you do pay an 18% gratuity fee per day on NCL for the UBP which for a 7 day cruise is approximately $96, but when you sail Carnival, don't you pay $49 per day pp for their beverage package and then pay 15% pp per day in gratuities?

Why are people so appalled that on NCL you have to pay gratuities for the beverage package but on Carnival it is okay to have to pay $49 per day PLUS 15% gratuities?:confused:

Probably because NCL says it's "free". More like "free*". Even in this day and age people are still taking marketing speak at face value instead of look for the catch. With marketing there is almost always a catch.

I believe Carnival's bev package includes bottled water, am I correct?

That is correct, plus specialty coffees and milkshakes (the addition of those items may swing us to buy Cheers next year on the Glory).