Remembering the Old ports

hipcruzr

Does any one remember the old ports the cruise lines used to visit. I started cruising in the 80's. But, I still remember some of the ports that we visited then that they do not go to any more like. Caracas, Martinique, Bonaire, There are a few others, but, I am having a memory lapse.

Does any one remember the old ports the cruise lines used to visit. I started cruising in the 80's. But, I still remember some of the ports that we visited then that they do not go to any more like. Caracas, Martinique, Bonaire, There are a few others, but, I am having a memory lapse.

I was in Martinique in Sept. of 2014 and I have seen itineraries with Bonaire on them. I miss having ships small enough to go to St. George and Hamilton in Bermuda. I hate that the only option is Kings Wharf.

Martinique and Bonaire still show up, although very, very rarely on Carnival. We have been to both. Were just in Martinique last month on a Carnival Journeys cruise and fell in love with it! So beautiful, warm friendly people and unspoiled by US-based chain restaurants and stores (ok, there is a McDonalds).

Celebrity, my other line of choice has Bonaire as a stop on some of their Southern Caribbean itineraries. Fantastic island if you are a snorkeler or scuba diver. Some of our best snorkeling was when we went there on Celebrity Constellation a few years ago. While the town is very small, we found it charming.

On our honeymoon on Carnival Festivale in 1992, we did the southern itinerary out of San Juan. The itinerary was mostly the same as the current route, but we stopped in Dominica and Martinique instead of St. Lucia and St. Kitts. I'd love to go back to both. I remember they were both beautiful and unspoiled. Since film (I know, what's IS that, right???) cameras were the thing then, I only got a few pictures from each. I'd love to get back to both with a digital camera.

Alcapulco and Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo. Supposed to go to Zihua on the Miracle Journeys cruise but the dock isn't up to snuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Guadeloupe was great... I loved Dominica, however, the DH had a weird allergy to something on that particular island, he would sneeze all day from when we pulled in, then poof, he would clear up,after pulling away??? Weird. Also loved Tortola cause it was easy to go to the Baths or Jost on a day trip...

I was in Martinique in Sept. of 2014 and I have seen itineraries with Bonaire on them. I miss having ships small enough to go to St. George and Hamilton in Bermuda. I hate that the only option is Kings Wharf.

Pride docks in Hamilton.... and Martinique and Bonaire are part of th ed Journey Intnaries. Just went to Martinique in March

Guadeloupe was great... I loved Dominica, however, the DH had a weird allergy to something on that particular island, he would sneeze all day from when we pulled in, then poof, he would clear up,after pulling away??? Weird. Also loved Tortola cause it was easy to go to the Baths or Jost on a day trip...

We have been to tortola once and loved going to the Baths. Would like to go back.

Most that people have mentioned are still on some itineraries. In January we were on the Glory and went to Martinique, Bonaire, Dominica, and Grenada. We are going to Tortola in Dec.

The one that I miss is Cancun. Loved it there.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Our first two cruises stopped at St. Croix. Crime got too high and they quit stopping there. As far as I know, they still don't stop there. They had street parties at night where the ship docked where they had vendors, stilt walkers, bands, etc.

Pride docks in Hamilton.... and Martinique and Bonaire are part of th ed Journey Intnaries. Just went to Martinique in March

You sure about the Pride getting in to Hamilton? She's a bigger ship than others that would also be able to call there if this was the case.

The only pride Bermuda Cruises I see listed for this year go to KW.

ImageUploadedByForums1468497403.660943.jpg.fde1d783c413b16d6337be328ee69407.jpg

Why did they stop calling on Calica? Is it because they stopped sailing from Mobile?

They stopped sailing from Mobile. They are bringing a ship back in November, but I haven't seen any itineraries with Calica on it yet. I, too, wish they'd bring it back as that was one of my favorite ports in the Western Caribbean. I'll be honest, I'm kind of over Cozumel. This upcoming trip will be my fourth. It's my husband's first cruise though, so I thought this would be a nice introductory trip for him.

They stopped sailing from Mobile. They are bringing a ship back in November, but I haven't seen any itineraries with Calica on it yet. I, too, wish they'd bring it back as that was one of my favorite ports in the Western Caribbean. I'll be honest, I'm kind of over Cozumel. This upcoming trip will be my fourth. It's my husband's first cruise though, so I thought this would be a nice introductory trip for him.

I don't think it's possible to do everything there is to do in Coz in just 3 visits. If you haven't gone to the back side of the island, or the twister boat to Passion Island you might want to give that a whirl.

I don't think it's possible to do everything there is to do in Coz in just 3 visits. If you haven't gone to the back side of the island, or the twister boat to Passion Island you might want to give that a whirl.

Thanks for the tip. I suspect that my husband will just want to go fishing.