Children in the Diamond Lounge?

Well looks like some people just have to get over it.

If a kid is being an obnoxious nuisance the concierge should do something about it. Otherwise if a kid is well behaved, RC has said they are allowed now.

There are still plenty of adult only areas on the ship if that's someones main goal. But RC is a family line and, especially on the mega ships, caters to family style cruising. If you place a priority on an adults only atmosphere that is fine, but RC isn't the line for that. Just like neither is Carnival or NCL.

I'll be in the DL with my kid. If his mere presence upsets someone, that is their problem, not mine. If my kid if being disruptive or misbehaved, that is my problem and we'll get up and leave.

Very well said ;)

Thanks, Steve. We'll probably play it by ear then.

One more quick question. Are kids allowed free non-alcoholic drinks like soda during cocktail hours or is this an adult-only benefit? Our last cruise was our D-qualifying cruise so we're kinda new at this.

Rich

Yes. My daughter got a Shirley Temple in fact, which we did not have to pay for. (We don't have the drink package, as we don't drink enough, so that was handy). Same for adults, you can just get a coke there if you want, without needing a drink package. Like alcoholic drinks, no blender drinks though (so can't get a virgin pina coloda, for example)

We were on Adventure in late July/ early August. The first night that the DL was opened, we had a non-diamond family member watch DD-9 while we went to cocktail hour at the DL with my parents, who are also Diamond. I noticed that there was a young man of about 11 with his father in the DL. I asked the Concierge if children were allowed in the DL during cocktail hour. He confirmed that there had been a recent policy change and children were now allowed if they were accompanied by an adult.

We took DD with us each evening after that to the DL. She loved the chocolate covered strawberries and enjoyed one each night. She was offered a soft drink by the bar staff. She never bothered a soul, as she sat quietly or joined the adults in conversation. I question how children are to be taught social decorum if they are never exposed to more adult situations. That being said, I would have never taken my oldest son (now 21) to the DL until he was at least 12, if we had been diamond at that time (we weren't). Each parent should gauge the temperament of the child and adjust accordingly in deference to fellow passengers.

Well looks like some people just have to get over it.

If a kid is being an obnoxious nuisance the concierge should do something about it. Otherwise if a kid is well behaved, RC has said they are allowed now.

There are still plenty of adult only areas on the ship if that's someones main goal. But RC is a family line and, especially on the mega ships, caters to family style cruising. If you place a priority on an adults only atmosphere that is fine, but RC isn't the line for that. Just like neither is Carnival or NCL.

I'll be in the DL with my kid. If his mere presence upsets someone, that is their problem, not mine. If my kid if being disruptive or misbehaved, that is my problem and we'll get up and leave.

Name three.

Why do parents have disappointing family values just because they let their kids see adults drink alcohol? If adults are drinking alcohol responsibly

There must have been a typo in what a wrote. I was writing about the adults that can't tolerate children.

Family values for us include that our family is included in everything. We never use baby sitters - the kids come with us what ever we do.

The only occasion we've had to change plans to not include our children was dinner at a particular three-star Michelin restaurant that wouldn't take guests under age thirteen.

Nightclub

Solarium

Spa

The Solarium and Spa are not 'adult only' areas. I don't spend much time in the DL if any but I sympathize with others that Royal should have an adult only area. The DL was their last refuge.

The Solarium and Spa are not 'adult only' areas. I don't spend much time in the DL if any but I sympathize with others that Royal should have an adult only area. The DL was their last refuge.

I agree with that too! When last on Allure, there was a "teens only" section on the ship and adults were not allowed in there!:p If I remember correctly, it was next door to Johnny Rockets and had video games, etc., inside.

Edited by SilkySal
add sentence

Age 16 and over for spa and solarium. And the spa is noise restricted.

Anyways, Royal has blessed the DL as kids welcome when accompanied by an adult. If they are well behaved, no problem. If they aren't well behaved it is up to the parent to remove the kids and failing that, the concierge has to get up and address the issue, you know, just how the SL and CL are run. If the sight of a kid makes anyone angry, it is that persons own problem really. If they aren't behaving that is the parent or concierges problem and should be addressed.

See what has happened is Royal has built these massive floating amusement parks and marketed them as viable alternatives to other family friendly locations (Disney World, all inclusive resorts, DIY land travel, etc). So now as families have come up and earned certain perks they resent being told they can not use the perks as a family.

No one has yet said anything going on in these lounges that is inappropriate for minors. If I saw adults acting offensively I'd expect the concierge to address it.

Before dinner I'll be in the DL with my family, including minors, provided they are well behaved. If you enter and want to say hi, that would be nice. If you want to grouse and give the stink eye, save it.

Age 16 and over for spa and solarium. And the spa is noise restricted.

16 isn't an adult either and seeing as we're talking about a lounge, you're really stretching it with these venues. :D

If the sight of a kid makes anyone angry, it is that persons own problem really.

Now you're just spouting hyperbole.

No one has yet said anything going on in these lounges that is inappropriate for minors.

It's called ambience or an atmosphere of adulthood. You tend to appreciate it more once your kids have grown into adults. :D

Before dinner I'll be in the DL with my family, including minors, provided they are well behaved. If you enter and want to say hi, that would be nice. If you want to grouse and give the stink eye, save it.

I know we don't agree on a lot but I truly look forward to the day we meet on a cruise ship. I got the first round. Happy sailing and enjoy the DL. ;)

Now sailing on one of the Royal ships in the Med, they say that RCCL changed their policy on allowing children under 18 in the Diamond Lounge as long as they are with an adult. Maybe we've missed something. In the concierge lounge the same, first night there were more children than adults

What is the big deal? If children have Diamond status or above then they should be allowed in the Diamond Lounge.

It's called ambience or an atmosphere of adulthood.

But it's not an issue on the CL or SL, only the DL? I find that a stretch to believe.

Look, it's a family cruise line and it is going to evolve to remain family friendly. Any behavioral issues need to be addressed by staff and guests shouldn't give them a free pass on that. Short of those issues, no problem.

But it's not an issue on the CL or SL, only the DL? I find that a stretch to believe.

To some, it still is. :eek:

Look, it's a family cruise line and it is going to evolve to remain family friendly. Any behavioral issues need to be addressed by staff and guests shouldn't give them a free pass on that. Short of those issues, no problem.

You're right. I was just sympathizing with those that are looking for that adult oasis. Happy sailing.

I have seen children in the CL. I have not cruised since they are now allowed in the DL.

I have seen children pick up appetizers without using the tongs that are provided. Sometimes putting them back. I have never seen the concierge or a parent correct this. Maybe it happens. I personally have not seen it.

I have also seen diaper changing in the CL.

Please give us a choice.

There should be one lounge that does not allow children.

What is the big deal? If children have Diamond status or above then they should be allowed in the Diamond Lounge.

I think the big deal is adults would like to be able to enjoy the cocktail hours without having to censor everything they say because children are there.

I think the big deal is some parents let their kids do whatever they want without correcting their behavior, and staff usually won't say anything for fear of angering those parents.

I think the big deal is having kids there changes the whole dynamic.

Spent two weeks on Radiance this month.

Solarium was full of kids.

Have a replacement for option three? ;)

Children are allowed in the Solarium (certain itineraries) during certain times...and also other times to eat at the food venue on Radiance.

Now sailing on one of the Royal ships in the Med, they say that RCCL changed their policy on allowing children under 18 in the Diamond Lounge as long as they are with an adult. Maybe we've missed something. In the concierge lounge the same, first night there were more children than adults

I think the big deal is adults would like to be able to enjoy the cocktail hours without having to censor everything they say because children are there.

I think the big deal is some parents let their kids do whatever they want without correcting their behavior, and staff usually won't say anything for fear of angering those parents.

I think the big deal is having kids there changes the whole dynamic.

The OP said nothing about cocktail hours. My answer said nothing about cocktail hours. The OP only said Diamond Lounge. So again, I ask, what is the big deal?