Freedom of the Seas specialty restaurants

I've heard completely terrible to fantastic.

Because thats how subjective the topic of food is :) MY opinion is:

Giovanni's Table was excellent food with outstanding service.

Chops was "meh" in both categories. I dont think i will be going back there anymore. My first Chops experience in 2011 on Radiance was incredible. The last two, not so much.

Didnt get to try Sabor but the reviews I have read were great and anyone i talked to onboard loved it.

If you consider Johnny Rockets as "specialty dining" it has been pretty good the times we tried it with a fun atmosphere. The price keeps going up though.

Edited by ryano

Beachbum

When are you cruising? We are on Freedom in October. We plan on purchasing the 5 night dining package. We haven't been real impressed with Chops for quite a few years and Giovanni's on Oasis was good but not great. That being said we do not care for the food in the MDR on any ship so we're doing the package. Sabor on Oasis was out of this world!

Depplep,

We are cruising Nov 12, 2016. It will be the first 8nt Eastern cruise after repositioning to Port Everglades.

So far, from what I'm hearing, Chops has gone downhill. Honestly, I grill a mean steak at home and my DH and I find it hard to get a really good one in any of our local restaurants in NE Ohio. We do enjoy good, traditional Italian and Mexican food. We are not food snobs in any way though, we just enjoy fresh, whole foods and are not big on anything overly processed. I can easily eat basic buffet food if I'm in a hurry, or if I'm too tired to get dressed up for a formal meal. [emoji4] I just figured if we are going to spend extra $ on a specialty restaurant or two, I better ask some questions. Food is very subjective, I understand that. We enjoy simple, but flavorful. Good food doesn't have to be sauced to death. I've seen a lot of that on the main dining menus. [emoji15]. I do appreciate all the responses that are coming through. I love this site! This is a very special "Bucket List" cruise for my mom. We are both celebrating birthdays too. We have a party of five with my sister and BIL also traveling. I just want to make this one the very best experiences ever for her! ❤️Mom

Would anyone who has traveled Freedom of the Seas since the last upgrade, give me honest reviews of the specialty restaurants onboard. I've heard completely terrible to fantastic. I would love dine at at least one while onboard

We are currently on the Freedom heading towards Grand Cayman. We ate at Chops on the first night and had a delicious meal. We will be going to Giovanni's tomorrow and probably Sabor at the end of the week. Will let you know how we found them. Having a great cruise, Freedom is a lovely ship.

Just off Freedom on Sunday. Ate in a specialty restaurant every night -- Chops twice, Giovanni's three times and Sabor twice. I would equate Chops and Giovanni's meals about the same. Service was excellent. I personally prefer the filet at Chops. It seemed more flavorful that the one at Giovanni's. Sabor was OK. We lived off and on in Texas for 25 years so we're more Tex Mex lovers. Guacamole is good as well as the chips. I had the pulled chicken quesadilla and I swear that they forgot the chicken -- just lots of cheese. We would not go back there.

Depplep,

We are cruising Nov 12, 2016. It will be the first 8nt Eastern cruise after repositioning to Port Everglades.

So far, from what I'm hearing, Chops has gone downhill. Honestly, I grill a mean steak at home and my DH and I find it hard to get a really good one in any of our local restaurants in NE Ohio. We do enjoy good, traditional Italian and Mexican food. We are not food snobs in any way though, we just enjoy fresh, whole foods and are not big on anything overly processed. I can easily eat basic buffet food if I'm in a hurry, or if I'm too tired to get dressed up for a formal meal. [emoji4] I just figured if we are going to spend extra $ on a specialty restaurant or two, I better ask some questions. Food is very subjective, I understand that. We enjoy simple, but flavorful. Good food doesn't have to be sauced to death. I've seen a lot of that on the main dining menus. [emoji15]. I do appreciate all the responses that are coming through. I love this site! This is a very special "Bucket List" cruise for my mom. We are both celebrating birthdays too. We have a party of five with my sister and BIL also traveling. I just want to make this one the very best experiences ever for her! ❤️Mom

I will be on the 11/12 cruise also. I'm really looking forward to 8 days vs. 7 days and seeing St. Kitts. The Freedom is my favorite ship. We have sailed out of Port Canaveral several times. I haven't eaten in the specialty restaurants, but have ordered the Chops filet in the dining room for the upcharge. My sister and her husband didn't want to go to the specialty restaurants. I've ordered the filet 3 different times and it was very good every time. It's a great option to be able to order a good steak in the main dining room.

Sandy

Beachbum

When are you cruising? We are on Freedom in October. We plan on purchasing the 5 night dining package. We haven't been real impressed with Chops for quite a few years and Giovanni's on Oasis was good but not great. That being said we do not care for the food in the MDR on any ship so we're doing the package. Sabor on Oasis was out of this world!

Pop on over to the thread for your October 23rd cruise week and join in the chat!:rolleyes: Will be glad to put you on our informal roll call, and don't forget to sign up for the M&M!!;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2190813&page=18

Absolutely love the peppered hunk of delicious bacon appetizer at Chops!!:p Hope they still have it this October!! Yum!!;) Last time I had a fillet there, it was excellent too but it's been awhile!!:rolleyes:

Does Sabor offer a Margarita Pitcher? or just single serving margaritas? Are premium "top shelf" margaritas offered?

Don't know about the pitcher, but premium margaritas are offered.

Does Sabor offer a Margarita Pitcher? or just single serving margaritas? Are premium "top shelf" margaritas offered?

I'm not sure about pitchers as we do not drink but we were offered what looked to be an appealing sampler for someone who does.

Do you need reservation for the all the restaurants?? And how far out can you BOOK?? Going on Freedom Jan 2018...

There is no set time for reservations to open. Check your Cruise Planner from time to time.

Absolutely love the peppered hunk of delicious bacon appetizer at Chops!!:p Hope they still have it this October!! Yum!!;) Last time I had a fillet there, it was excellent too but it's been awhile!!:rolleyes:

Ok, After much research on Freedom dinner menus and specialty dining, combined with all this raving over the bacon appetizer, I am sold on an evening at Chops. The only problem now is deciding which evening to go. After reading that Adventure Ocean doesn't open until 7:00pm on embarkation day, I'm leaning towards the first night. Send the kids to play after feeding them at the WJ, then go have a nice dinner for our anniversary.

I'm having a hard time finding the menu schedule for 5 night itineraries. Does anyone know what they serve the first evening in MDR? And also what day they offer the escargot appetizer?

Hubby's and my vote goes for SABOR! We had the most wonderful experience with Modern Mexican food ever when we sailed FOS in May. Tableside-made fresh guac/chips, Margaritas, etc., were absolutely wonderful. I'd eat there again in a heartbeat. :)

Ok, After much research on Freedom dinner menus and specialty dining, combined with all this raving over the bacon appetizer, I am sold on an evening at Chops. The only problem now is deciding which evening to go. After reading that Adventure Ocean doesn't open until 7:00pm on embarkation day, I'm leaning towards the first night. Send the kids to play after feeding them at the WJ, then go have a nice dinner for our anniversary.

I'm having a hard time finding the menu schedule for 5 night itineraries. Does anyone know what they serve the first evening in MDR? And also what day they offer the escargot appetizer?

We are on Freedom at the moment and escargots have been on the main dining room menu every evening.

Sorry for the hijack, but does anyone know if one of the main restaurants is open for lunch on embarkation day? We didn't look for that last year, but enjoyed eating in the dining room on embarkation day for lunch on Crown Princess.