Ship time vs. Local Time

ootchang

Hoping some people here might be able to help clarify some things.

My GF and I are traveling on the Carnival Legend through Alaska 8/23-8/30. We're very excited, and have scheduled a number of excursions -- but all from independent vendors, not Carnival. (GF had some bad experiences, so I let her take the lead on this one)

The issue comes with scheduling. There seems to be some confusion of ships time vs. local time. Carnival claims that Arrival/Departure times are Ship's Time, which should be Seattle time (Port of Departure).

So, for example:

We are listed to be in Ketchikan, AK from 7am-1pm.

Which should be 6am-12pm, Alaska time.

BUT all the independent excursions seem to think we're arriving at 7am Alaska time, and the Port itself lists the ship arriving at 7 am. So what gives?

Are the arrival/departure times listed SHIP time or LOCAL time?

(The only reason this matters much is that we scheduled an excursion that ends at noon, local time, which would be when the ship is leaving, if the above is true!)

I have looked around for a straight answer, but I keep hearing different things. Anyone know? Anyone on the Legend been through this?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I suggest you also post this on these other forums:

The dedicated Carnival forum, where there will be a much higher chance of someone seeing it who has been on that ship and itinerary:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

I would also post in a few recent Legend roll call threads in case someone is still checking the roll call and and answer from recent experience:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=330

Edited by clarea

Hoping some people here might be able to help clarify some things.

My GF and I are traveling on the Carnival Legend through Alaska 8/23-8/30. We're very excited, and have scheduled a number of excursions -- but all from independent vendors, not Carnival. (GF had some bad experiences, so I let her take the lead on this one)

The issue comes with scheduling. There seems to be some confusion of ships time vs. local time. Carnival claims that Arrival/Departure times are Ship's Time, which should be Seattle time (Port of Departure).

So, for example:

We are listed to be in Ketchikan, AK from 7am-1pm.

Which should be 6am-12pm, Alaska time.

BUT all the independent excursions seem to think we're arriving at 7am Alaska time, and the Port itself lists the ship arriving at 7 am. So what gives?

Are the arrival/departure times listed SHIP time or LOCAL time?

(The only reason this matters much is that we scheduled an excursion that ends at noon, local time, which would be when the ship is leaving, if the above is true!)

I have looked around for a straight answer, but I keep hearing different things. Anyone know? Anyone on the Legend been through this?

It would be highly unusual for ANY ship's time at the place of embarkation and debarkation to be anything other than the local time. That said, "ship's time" underway (specifically when the ship crosses into a different time zone) may change or not dependent on the ship's normal practice and/or a decision by its skipper as regards EACH port.

I don't know much about what Carnival does related to time change underway. But, it's a good bet that the times you've seen in brochures or the line's website are local times in every port. Again, for whatever reason, the ship time may or may not change from zone to zone as it moves among different ports.

BTW, a reputable and experienced tour provider will know when the ship arrives and leaves. Nonetheless, make sure that you're all on the same page, that you (or someone on the tour) can make/receive calls and that you have the contact information for the ship's land agent in that port (should be printed in whatever daily publication the ship distributes).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

SHIP'S time is ALL THAT MATTERS! Local time is a distraction! Set your WATCH...do NOT use your cell phone...to the same time as the ship's clocks...they are at EVERY exit. If you do that, you will be fine!

Ship time will be local time. You will change your clocks one hour, usually on the second night of the cruise, and then change them back, usually on the second to last night. You will get notices in your cabin informing you of the changes.

Ship time will be local time. You will change your clocks one hour, usually on the second night of the cruise, and then change them back, usually on the second to last night. You will get notices in your cabin informing you of the changes.

This is true for 90% of the cruise ships and lines. Carnival, is the exception. They tend to limit their time changes. Best to research on the Carnival board, recommended back in post #2.

This is true for 90% of the cruise ships and lines. Carnival, is the exception. They tend to limit their time changes. Best to research on the Carnival board, recommended back in post #2.

This is correct.

Often Carnival just goes with ship time rather than local time.

Keith

As long as you make sure your tour provider is aware of the issue and needs to check on his own account what time the ship comes in; and as long as you personally know what time the ship leaves according to your watch so you can remind the tour operator if need be; then you won't have a problem. It's a nuisance, but not a problem.

I'm glad my ship (Arcadia, P&O) didn't do the same thing. It sailed from Southampton - ship's time and local time would have been 9 hours apart! :eek:

SHIP'S time is ALL THAT MATTERS! Local time is a distraction! Set your WATCH...do NOT use your cell phone...to the same time as the ship's clocks...they are at EVERY exit. If you do that, you will be fine!

If ship time and local time differ and you are booking independent excursions, local time is not a distraction.