Considering shareholder benefit?

Clampram

Isn't the UK stock in pence not pounds? That would make them about the same.

Yes I know what you are saying but UK price is Three thousand five hundred and sixty two pounds and zero pence which is what I am seeing on UK based brokers as opposed to forty five US dollars, which I see on US sites, I will ring a trader tomorrow when the markets are open just to clarify, hopefully I am misreading the GB sterling price as it is in pence as opposed to £s, fingers crossed. Hoping a UK shareholder may come along with an answer.

The stockholder OBC, just like any OBC that comes with a Princess promotion or from a TA, is considered a discount or rebate on the cruise and is thus not taxable.

No different than you you buy a new car and GM (or whatever company) gives you $1000 cash back.

Or when you use a manufacturer's coupon at the grocery store. No income tax due on that discount.

Thanks Caribill, that is interesting. Like I have indicated we're not talking about amounts that cause me to lose sleep, but I do enjoy thinking of this as "tax free cash."

Yes I know what you are saying but UK price is Three thousand five hundred and sixty two pounds and zero pence which is what I am seeing on UK based brokers as opposed to forty five US dollars, which I see on US sites, I will ring a trader tomorrow when the markets are open just to clarify, hopefully I am misreading the GB sterling price as it is in pence as opposed to £s, fingers crossed. Hoping a UK shareholder may come along with an answer.

Hi, spoke with a broker and he has clarified it to be in pence and not pounds so will be buying stock today, happy days $250 OBC for forthcoming trip in October and following April.

Have to agree that my Carnival stock has been an excellent investment. Between dividends and an average of two cruises a year, we are very happy with our return. (I'm even happier after reading this thread - I bought my shares in Sept of 2013 when it was $29 a share! Of course it sits in my Roth IRA so I haven't recognized any of that benefit, but it definitely has been a good investment. My financial planner thought I was nuts when I bought it. I'll have to rub it in at our next review [emoji1])

Hi, spoke with a broker and he has clarified it to be in pence and not pounds so will be buying stock today, happy days $250 OBC for forthcoming trip in October and following April.

Have to agree that my Carnival stock has been an excellent investment. Between dividends and an average of two cruises a year, we are very happy with our return. (I'm even happier after reading this thread - I bought my shares in Sept of 2013 when it was $29 a share! Of course it sits in my Roth IRA so I haven't recognized any of that benefit, but it definitely has been a good investment. My financial planner thought I was nuts when I bought it. I'll have to rub it in at our next review [emoji1])

Hi, 100 carnival shares bought and ready for next cruise free money is always good.

The truth is that one is probably better off investing in a stock or fund that pays better/grows more than Carnival stock, and then using the profits for whatever you want. Another downside of the Carnival stock benefit is that one might feel obliged to pass on a cruise with a non-Carnival line.

Better to keep your options open.

igraf

Just some basic math.

Yesterday's closing price was $45.94/share. The past annual dividends have been $1.40/share which would be $140 for 100 shares, and a rate of 3.05%. If you purchase a min. of 100 shares you are then eligible for the shareholder benefit. If you take just one 7 day cruise/year you would receive a $100 OBC. If you add that to the $140 dividend the return rate goes to 5.2%. More cruises/year will increase the return.

Of course stock values go up & down and you could loose or gain based on that. But as long as CCL still offers the shareholder benefit your return will be based on your actual purchase price. I purchased my stock for under $40/share so my percentage return is greater than the numbers stated above.

Thanks everyone for your responses...........as of yesterday, we now own 100 shares within our IRA.

Next and final step will be to send in this proof to Princess but it has to be within 90 days of the cruise, right??

Thanks again!!

Thanks everyone for your responses...........as of yesterday, we now own 100 shares within our IRA.

Next and final step will be to send in this proof to Princess but it has to be within 90 days of the cruise, right??

Thanks again!!

Yes, the statement must be within 90 days of the cruise.

I have owned the stock for more than 12 years. I figure with a 2.6% dividend, cruise credits on 13 or 14 cruises and a pretty good increase in stock price it has been an excellent investment.

Couldn't agree more. I've seen more than a 50% return in three years on just the stock price. But the dividends and OBC for a couple of cruises a year are the immediate benefit. And yes it kind of locks me into Princess, but with the Military credit we get as well we don't mind be locked into Princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just some basic math.

Yesterday's closing price was $45.94/share. The past annual dividends have been

$1.40/share which would be $140 for 100 shares, and a rate of 3.05%. If you purchase a min. of 100 shares you are then eligible for the shareholder benefit. If you take just one 7 day cruise/year you would receive a $100 OBC. If you add that to the $140 dividend the return rate goes to 5.2%. More cruises/year will increase the return.

Of course stock values go up & down and you could loose or gain based on that. But as long as CCL still offers the shareholder benefit your return will be based on your actual purchase price. I purchased my stock for under $40/share so my percentage return is greater than the numbers stated above.

You also need to add in the fact that the SB can be considered a "non-taxable" dividend that would improve your return rate even more.

Anyone that takes at least one cruise a year should buy this stock and invest in the product that you use.

I have a question it's probably a silly one says I don't understand much about shares in stocks. So if I have 100 shares and CCL stock then I will get $100 OBC per cruise. If I have 200 shares of stock, do I get $200 OBC?

so is it the more shares I own the more benefit I get out of OBC?

Thanks Kaye

I have a question it's probably a silly one says I don't understand much about shares in stocks. So if I have 100 shares and CCL stock then I will get $100 OBC per cruise. If I have 200 shares of stock, do I get $200 OBC?

Thanks Kaye

No, it's just one shareholder benefit per cabin. If you and your spouse both held 100 shares, you still would get just one shareholder benefit for the same cabin.

The truth is that one is probably better off investing in a stock or fund that pays better/grows more than Carnival stock, and then using the profits for whatever you want. Another downside of the Carnival stock benefit is that one might feel obliged to pass on a cruise with a non-Carnival line.
I don't. I still look at Celebrity and have sailed on X ships since purchasing our CCL stock. The lack of the shareholder benefit is part of my calculation (as well as missing the Elite benefits we receive on Princess that we don't get on X).

Thanks Kaye

Nope, there is only one shareholder OBC per cabin. If you want more than $100, take a 14 day or longer cruise, you will get $250 [emoji1]

If you look here you will see the information required: http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

In addition Princess has a PDF cover sheet to use. Attached is the one I use. Note in the U.S. you can only send the request for the OBC by fax or USPS mail. Electronic requests are not accepted.

Here's the form (US, Canada, UK) with dates through July 31,2017 although they accept forms with older dates or no form at all.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=388078&d=1466095327

Princess created the form with instructions to ensure accurate submissions & to quickly process our requests. I submit my request after final payment which meets this stated requirement: "Shares certificate and brokerage statement should be dated no earlier than 3 months prior to cruise departure date".

For the shareholder benefit you will need proof that you own 100 or more shares of Carnival Corp stock. The most common method is a recent copy of your stock account from your stock broker. It can be a copy of the actual stock certificates or a current stockholder report. I copy the last stock statement from my broker and send it to Princess along with the information about the upcoming cruise. Be sure to block out any account identification like account number or other stock owned. I submit it shortly after final payment but has to be at least 2 weeks before you sail and can be faxed or snail mailed but not emailed. There is a form to send in but it is not needed. All you need is your name, reservation ID, ship, date of sail and port of embarkation. The benefit is per cabin so that if more than one in the cabin owns 100 shares, only one gets the benefit. If both spouses each own 100 shares, only one can claim the benefit.

Hi, I have just purchased 100 CCL shares and want to apply them to my cruise booking for October, can I use the share dealing history page from my stock broker which confirms I bought within the 90 day window?

Hi, I have just purchased 100 CCL shares and want to apply them to my cruise booking for October, can I use the share dealing history page from my stock broker which confirms I bought within the 90 day window?

Read the requirements that are on the form provided in the link above your post. It states what is acceptable. Make sure you make a copy before faxing and cross out your brokerage account number.

Yes, as long as your name is on that page.

I bought it close to $30 a share and have taken several Carnival and about 6 Princess cruises--most have been over 14 days. So I have thousands back in OBC. Add that to the appreciation of more than 30%, plus the dividends, and it is a winner! Of course, it predisposes us to travel on the brand (and I am not sure it applies to ALL Carnival brands (please check), but if you plan to even cruise once a year for 14 days or more, it is well worth it.

I bought it close to $30 a share and have taken several Carnival and about 6 Princess cruises--most have been over 14 days. So I have thousands back in OBC. Add that to the appreciation of more than 30%, plus the dividends, and it is a winner! Of course, it predisposes us to travel on the brand (and I am not sure it applies to ALL Carnival brands (please check), but if you plan to even cruise once a year for 14 days or more, it is well worth it.

Hi Gay...based on the info in this link, it appears that the shareholder OBC program is valid on all of the Carnival Corporation's cruise lines.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9Mjc0MjIzfENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z&t=1

We bought them at about the same price in 2011 and enjoyed using the SOBC on the Crown when we sailed with you ending in Galveston in late 2012. We've made up our investment in OBC and dividends while the value has increased...win, win! ;)

Frank

Edited by Astro Flyer

Read the requirements that are on the form provided in the link above your post. It states what is acceptable. Make sure you make a copy before faxing and cross out your brokerage account number.

Thanks Pat

Edited by Nolongerworking
Wrong spelling