Diamond Club

Hi, we're taking our 11yr old grandson on Explorer. He's very quiet and well mannered. Wondering whether he's allowed in Diamond Club with us please?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Depends on the Diamond Concierge, but minors are typically not allowed in the DL during the cocktail period.

Edited by clarea

Hi, we're taking our 11yr old grandson on Explorer. He's very quiet and well mannered. Wondering whether he's allowed in Diamond Club with us please?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You get three nightly vouchers to use anywhere on the ship except restaurants. Lots of other places to get your free drinks. :)

This was Enchantment. Actually the DL was empty. Laura is a rule follower.

FWIW, they made him kiddie cocktails every night.

As Bob said, children have been explicitly allowed in the Concierge Lounge for several years now.

We did see two pre teens in evening on Radiance. Thank you, I'll check with concierge once onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Radiance makes it much easier to have them with you....We've sat right on the edge of the overflow area (Vortex) and this worked out great for our extended family (we're all D+) many times our toddler's have behaved better than some adults. and we prefer the DL to the CL on this particular ship. ;)

We are 2 for 3 in taking our kids in the lounge. Enchantment in March 2015 the most people other than ourselves was 5. Oasis last Christmas downstairs was only ever half full and nobody ever came upstairs where we sat. Allure this past March the lounge was full and they actually had a staff member outside the lounge from 5-6:30 making sure no kids went in.

Radiance makes it much easier to have them with you....We've sat right on the edge of the overflow area (Vortex) and this worked out great for our extended family (we're all D+) many times our toddler's have behaved better than some adults. and we prefer the DL to the CL on this particular ship. ;)

How does it work if the kids have earned Diamond status in their own right? Can they be denied entry during cocktail hour if accompanied by their parents?

How does it work if the kids have earned Diamond status in their own right? Can they be denied entry during cocktail hour if accompanied by their parents?

Childs status does not matter. Like others have said either all allowed or none dependant on ship.

Edited by Spurschick

Yes, they can be denied even if they have themselves earned diamond. Simply, it's the rule that folks under age cannot be in the DL during cocktail hour.

Not a fan of the rule, but seeing some kids in the CL that have no biz being there, I understand it. Of course, my kids act perfect :)

Yes...they can during the cocktail hours...however this seems to be a concierge decision. It seems we've seen more well behaved ones in the DL than in the CL.

Yes...they can during the cocktail hours...however this seems to be a concierge decision. It seems we've seen more well behaved ones in the DL than in the CL.

Only on certain ships and certain sailings. It can and does change ship to ship and at times sailing to sailing. More often than not we have been on sailings where the answer is no. It is rare we have been on a sailing that we have seen children. My understanding is it is somewhat dependant on how many D and D+'s are on the sailing.

I did see the thread recently that stated they were told the new policy was yes, however others were still saying their ships / itineraries were no.

My advise would be to be prepared for them to say no. If they say yes then great!

Sorry not sure if you meant yes they can go in or yes they can be denied;)

Edited by Spurschick

Um, no, they generally can't. That is the official rule from Miami, and it has been enforced on every ship I have been on in the past two years. I know there are exceptions, but not the norm.

Freedom, Enchantment, Legend, Oasis, Brilliance

Here is the reference from the welcome aboard letter of Freedom

ry%3D480

Um, no, they generally can't. That is the official rule from Miami, and it has been enforced on every ship I have been on in the past two years. I know there are exceptions, but not the norm.

Freedom, Enchantment, Legend, Oasis, Brilliance

Here is the reference from the welcome aboard letter of Freedom

ry%3D480

Sorry you misunderstood my answer was "yes" (they can be denied during the cocktail hours) I tend to answer a direct question when I quote it.

The letter you received....I believe there are "two" versions and the DL concierge decides which one will be given out possibly based on factors related to each specific cruise.

We have been given the alternate letter on both our Radiance Alaska cruise's (2013 & 2014) where the age during the cocktail hours was omitted and so felt very comfortable bringing in our grandchildren as did other families with young ones too.

So perhaps the "norm" is changing based on the fact that there's two form letter's.

I have an 8 year old with 38 cruises (mostly RCCL) obviously I have been through this drill quite a few times. As others have said, it is a mixed bag when it comes to the DL, usually the answer is no. The CL, however, is no issue. I will add one thing, whether it be the DL or CL, expect some filthy looks from some members.

As a solution, why not have the child go to adventure ocean club during the cocktail period? The kids love it. As stated the drink vouchers are an option as well. Good luck.

Sorry you misunderstood my answer was "yes" (they can be denied during the cocktail hours) I tend to answer a direct question when I quote it.

The letter you received....I believe there are "two" versions and the DL concierge decides which one will be given out possibly based on factors related to each specific cruise.

We have been given the alternate letter on both our Radiance Alaska cruise's (2013 & 2014) where the age during the cocktail hours was omitted and so felt very comfortable bringing in our grandchildren as did other families with young ones too.

So perhaps the "norm" is changing based on the fact that there's two form letter's.

Never done Alaska, I hear they don't tend to have a lot of upper tier passengers. That could explain the flexibility of the rules