Comparing your experience between oceania vs. Viking ocean or azamara?

Cahpek

We have been on Oceania Cruises quite a number of times (both their smaller "R" class ships and larger ones, eg Riviera). We would like to try other cruise lines serving simlar markets and are very keen to try Viking Ocean cruises (not Viking River cruises).

We were wondering if cruisers who have been on both Oceania, and on Viking Ocean , whether they can tell us their experience when comparing these two cruise lines?

Also, for cruisers, who have been on both Oceania and Azamara, whether they can also relate to us their experience when comparing these two companies?

Thanking you in advance.

Edited by Cahpek

We have been on both Oceania and Azamara, and prefer Oceania. The food and itineraries are far superior on Oceania. Specialty restaurants are included on Oceania, but you pay extra on Azamara. We found the cabins to be more luxurious (the beds are wonderful), and include soda and water for no extra cost in the mini fridge. And, if you are a soda drinker, it's not at an extra cost in the restaurants or dining room. My husband and I both use a CPAP to sleep, and the Oceania Riviera has electrical outlets above the nightstands (I know this may not make a difference to many people, but it beats having to use the industrial strength extension cords other cruise lines have given us to use). Oceania is country club casual with no formal nights and no set dining time.

Where Azamara exceeds Oceania are shore excursions and entertainment.

We have sailed both. For us there is no comparison. Oceania surpasses Azamara in every respect. Food on Azamara was mediocre. We don't understand how anyone even makes a comparison. Maybe some like the free wine.

Cannot speak to shore excursions as we do not use on either line. Entertainment is poor on both lines.

We are aware that there are many devoted Azamara fans. Nice to have choices. Opinions are sure to differ.

You have to try every line for yourself and decide what suits your taste

Edited by bitob

We have been on all three. Each is very different and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Azamara is an "R" ship and is the same as the "R" ships on Oceania in size. The food on Oceania is better than Azamara but Azamara has a great ambience and long port times and overnights. We had the best time on Azamara and would go again in a heartbeat if the itinerary was right.

Viking - once on board - is very good. They are weak on communication in the home office. The food on Viking as not as "fancy" as on Oceania but in my opinion better quality and cooked properly. The ship is lovely and the service great once on board.

I would query both Azamara and Viking boards to get other opinions.

Several years ago I tried 3 cruise lines including the new Marina and one Azamara. .I been with Azamara ever since. i stayed not for the shows or hte cabins .but for the very friendly officers and crew. Plus the longer stays in ports- many of them over nights.

i am trying Oceania again this winter. If on an "R" ship I would only go in a PH. the other cabins are tiny.. Food- do not remember Oceania's at All but hey have done menu changes on Azamara and took off some of my favorite sides and a soup. i have learned i can special order the soup.

Both cruiselines give you a mini fridge with water ,soda etc.. from what I understand both lines have drink packages with better booze.. AZ uses well and i buy as I go . .mainly because some days not on ship to drink and not paying for a day i am not on ship but in port. looks like i might have to get get my martini'a on Oceania

I have cruised AZ and O. O is by far superior and will be my 1st choice. I do however, have an AZ cruise booked for next Spring because of the itinerary only.

Will be on Insignia for close to a month this Oct. 2016 and hope all is as fabulous as expected. :)

We have been on Oceania Cruises quite a number of times (both their smaller "R" class ships and larger ones, eg Riviera). We would like to try other cruise lines serving simlar markets and are very keen to try Viking Ocean cruises (not Viking River cruises).

We were wondering if cruisers who have been on both Oceania, and on Viking Ocean , whether they can tell us their experience when comparing these two cruise lines?

Also, for cruisers, who have been on both Oceania and Azamara, whether they can also relate to us their experience when comparing these two companies?

Thanking you in advance.

We have been on many cruises but on Oceania only once and Azamara twice so we are hardly as knowledgeable as many on cruise critic. We like Oceania better than Azamara. The food is substantially better and we found the service to be better as well. The ships were virtually identical but somehow Oceania was better.

We did notice more senior office interaction with passengers on Azamara which you will often see described on these boards but that is not something that we value but others do. The Azamara concept of overnights and late nights in port does make for some wonderful itineraries and we no doubt will sail with them again when they have such an itinerary but we will sail with Oceania again regardless.

I sail on Az all the time. I am trying again O for peepeete tomsydnet. I like the ports but will miss the late nights in ports and officers stopping to talk.looking forward to seeing the food for myself. Shows too.

We have done 3 Azamara, 1 Oceania, and not tried Viking Ocean. We have also travelled with Windstar, HAL, NCL and Louis.

Azamara is undoubtedly our number one choice. Food, service and long stays in port all enjoyable. Superior ambience to Oceania, in our experience.

We were disappointed in our Oceania cruise, which we booked with high expectations given some of the comments. Food is subjective, but we found it extremely disappointing – selection poor, and nearly always cold. Service was also lacking. Oceania do have some interesting itineraries.

However, we have tight limitations on when we can travel due to business commitments, so itinerary and timing remain the most important factors for us, rather than the cruiseline as such. We have another Oceania cruise booked for later this month, and a B2B on Azamara in December. We are looking at a HAL itinerary for next year. We also do river cruises, so whatever fits the time available, despite our preference being Azamara.

You have to try the different cruislines yourself to see how they fit your likes and dislikes. We don’t let little annoyances spoil any cruise. We are unlikely to ever have a “bad” cruise!

Edited by roaming_kiwi58
correction

Have sailed Azamara and Oceania but more often on O. The larger ships on Oceania are in a class of their own and significantly exceed Azamara which has only the R ship offering. At that level the comparison is less distinct. I like both lines offering. I probably prefer Oceania for its slightly smarter and more elegant feel, but enjoyed Azamara's friendliness and more versatility in how they use the ship. Quite elegant dinners on the pool deck, functions ashore and wine of the day provided free.

I think the food on Oceania is a nudge ahead but I liked them both, and the entertainment is not great on either. I think they are more similar than different.

Viking Oceans is forcing O to up its game. The included tours, wine with meals and included transfers have caused O to revise its offerings. VO's lower excursion prices have probably also given O cause to review its pricing. We much prefer Oceania, but also sail VO. VO also has better in room TV offerings, a larger bathroom and a more modern decor. Some of the included tours are a bit lame, but a careful review does tell you what you are going to get. We do like VO, but love O.