Which Florida port do you prefer to cruise from

My wife and I have cruised 10 times over the years -- not as many as we'd like of course, but it's a start. Other than two times out of New York City (our preference as we live in NJ), we've sailed out of both Miami and Port Canaveral.

Towards the end of next year, we'll be on Harmony sailing out of Fort Lauderdale for the first time.

We know Tampa is out there as well, but haven't found a cruise that suits our fancy.

For those with more experience than we have, what is your PREFERRED port to cruise out in Florida. We're thinking in terms of: ease of getting to the pier, parking, ease of navigating the terminal, courtesy & efficiency of the staff, and so forth.

For us, Port Canaveral is a pain I/t/o getting to the terminal itself (an hour from MCO). Once there, everything has worked like a charm.

Miami is Miami -- flying in / out of MIA is like going through a third world country, but the cruise terminal is efficient.

From what I can tell, Fort Lauderdale seems like the best of all worlds as the airport is a two minute drive away from the port and the facilities seem brand spanking new, or at least recently updated to accommodate the newer / larger ships.

Thoughts, everyone?

Michael

In order of preference, with Port Canaveral as our favorite:

Port Canaveral

Tampa

Port Everglades

Miami

Edited to add that we are fly-in cruisers.

Edited by clarea

In order of preference:

Port Canaveral

Port Everglades

Port of Tampa

Port of Miami

I would add that these preferences are based on my ability to drive to the ports. If I were flying it would be Port Everglades, Port of Miami, Port of Tampa and Port Canaveral.

Edited by Royal2464

I've sailed from two FLA ports.

#1 Port Canaveral

A distant #2 Fort Lauderdale

Canaveral seemed less busy, has some very good "not big chain" restaurants, Coco Beach area 5 mins away, and very well organized.

Granted we sailed Canadian March break from both..........

Edited by NateUpNorth

We live close to Tampa, but we haven't found many good cruises from here.

That being said:

Tampa

Port Canaveral

Port Everglades

Port of Miami (traffic is horrendous if one drives there!)

I prefer to cruise from the port that has the ship I am sailing on.

But I really like FLL since it is so close to the airport, and is well run (at least in my experience)

Canaveral is a long distance away from the airport, so it is less convenient, but it is also less busy.

In terms of convenience (for fly-in cruisers) Port Everglades can't be beat. Miami IMO has the most beautiful sailaway but agree with others that the airport and traffic can be pretty bad. Port Canaveral is very nice but the distance from MCO makes it a little tougher than the other ports. Have only sailed out of Tampa once but it was very nice and efficient.

We live in central Florida apps 1.5 hours from Port Canaveral or Tampa.Fort Lauderdale is apps 3 hours and Miami 3.5. We rank these ports in order of our preference

1. Port Everglades

2. Port Canaveral

3. Tampa

4. Miami

Port Everglades. Most Royal ships sail out of this area. Park & go, which have 23 shuttles are wonderful and usual charge is 7.99 per day and a free day for each 10 days accumulated.Many hotels and are much more reasonable and less crowded than Miami. pier18 for Oasis class is very efficient.

2. Port Canaveral. New pier and also pier 10 are okay but parking on site is a little pricey. If you fly into Orlando its a fairly long ride to and from. Have outside shuttles and in Oct. 2016 just removed the restrictions on shuttles yesterday so may have more in competition.

3.Tampa....Major restriction on this port is the skyway bridge which does not allow any vessel over 95,000 ton ( Radiance Class) to go under . This does not allow any Voyager Class thru Oasis class the use of Tampa. Also have a lot of Fog and navigating Tampa Bay for hours to port is sometimes not possible as this year ship had to anchor in Gulf of Mexico and wait out fog to next day.

Positive about Tampa has Parking garages in walking distance and if you willing to pay for Valet $20.00 you get out of your car at porter /luggage area, turn in luggage, they take car and park right next to ship on pier area. When you return you walk right out of terminal turn right give attendant your slip and car there in about 2 0r 3 minutes.

Miami....fewer Royal Ships. Parking more expensive then any other Florida port. Heavy traffic on 95 or turnpike in metro area. Hotels/lodging more costly. Also high crime rate.

I am a ex. marine, 30 year retired Police Supervisor and have used all of these ports many times driving and flying from Virginia and has been driving and parking in all for the last 11 years since moving to Florida. Hope this helps. Bob The Villages Florida

For shorter Western Cruises: Tampa (for ease of Non-stop flights from my airport and 5 min cab ride to Port) and Radiance class ships are some of my favorites

Port Canaveral (great cheap non-stop flights from my airport but 1 hour ride to Port isn't the greatest)

Ft. Lauderdale was nice as the airport is right next door to the port and its home to Oasis class ships, but for me there are no direct flights there from my home airport.

OP, imo coming from NJ, FLL is the easiest place to fly.

Less than 10 minutes to port and Jet BLue flies there. MIA has fewer flights to/from EWR. We've also had better luck with hotel rates in Ft. Lauderdale.

Flying into MCO for Port Canaveral isn't bad, but dislike that long shuttle ride.

We like port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale. It's super easy to get from the airport to the port. It's about 3.5 miles from port to the airport. We usually fly in the day before and do not need to rent a car. We hop on the water taxi and it takes us all over. We can do the beach, go shopping, get to Las Olas blvd, and downtown.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We know Tampa is out there as well, but haven't found a cruise that suits our fancy.l

We cruised once out of Tampa on a cruise a friend picked out and I'm glad I did. It was our first time on a Radiance class ship (Jewel) and our first trip to Costa Maya. That was a good trip. That was a our first drive to cruise, the port parking was convenient. That aside,

I have cruised 5 times out of Miami, while not my favorite, it is a sentimental favorite and a scenic departure.

I have cruised 4 times out of Port Everglades and it is probably my favorite because of the proximity to the airport and the hotel availability and access to lots of cruises over the years. This maybe my favorite today.

I have cruised once from Port Canaveral, and now have a 2nd one booked. At first I avoided it because of the distance to the airport and having to get transfers. That wasn't as bad as I though and I loved my one cruise out of there. We are driving to this port in October. (Almost 1000 miles exactly)

Edited by BillOh

We cruised once out of Tampa on a cruise a friend picked out and I'm glad I did. It was our first time on a Radiance class ship (Jewel) and our first trip to Costa Maya. That was a good trip. That was a our first drive to cruise, the port parking was convenient. That aside,

I have cruised 5 times out of Miami, while not my favorite, it is a sentimental favorite and a scenic departure.

I have cruised 4 times out of Port Everglades and it is probably my favorite because of the proximity to the airport and the hotel availability and access to lots of cruises over the years. This maybe my favorite today.

I have cruised once from Port Canaveral, and now have a 2nd one booked. At first I avoided it because of the distance to the airport and having to get transfers. That wasn't as bad as I though and I loved my one cruise out of there. We are driving to this port in October. (Almost 1000 miles exactly)

The most sentimental and enjoyable cruise we took was on the Brilliance out of Miami back in 2002, for our honeymoon. Ten nights, Circle the Caribbean. The only drawback was the pier at Port of Miami, which frankly you can or leave at your discretion.

If the Radiance class ships are going out of Tampa, that might be next on our list.

The most enjoyable cruise from a relaxing standpoint were two out of Port Canaveral, both Eastern Caribbean cruises. My wife and I are fans of the Sea Days, and as for the ports we only bothered to get off the ship in St. Maarten. The pain was the hour shuttle to the Port (and the added expense), but it was a means to an end.

Everglades looks like a winner -- two minutes from the Port, and within 30 minutes drive time of family we have in Boca.

Michael

For ease of flying/accessing the port same day:

Port Everglades

Tampa

Miami

Port Canaveral (BTW, I NEVER fly into Orlando on cruise day)

For flying + overnight stay pre-cruise

Port Everglades

Port Canaveral

Tampa

Miami