Missed Cruise Due to Delta Issue?

FSUNole

As I type this we are still waiting for bags to show up from a flight home 8 days ago. It appears they made it from JRO to NBO to CDG. At that point they appear to have been tagged for ATL and FLL but they are missing in action. Sat at CDG for about 3.5 hours so it's not a matter of a tight connection. :rolleyes:

Just FYI.... DL baggage at FLL called me last night saying they had my bag, and would send it on to my home airport of CHS today. DL app says it's reached CHS, so just waiting for delivery. The first of 3 bags was delivered the day after our flight, so just waiting for word on the 3rd and final bag.

No matter how you slice it or dice it there is always some risk with travel. If I had a dollar for every time I have had to deal with weather issues, mechanical issues, etc to make it to a job or a vacation I could probably book a nice week long cruise in a fancy suite. They say man plans and god laughs. My own choice now is to fly in a day or three ahead of any cruise and just make part of the vacation. Vacations are supposed to be fun so I do what I need to do to lower the stress levels for me.

On July 30th we missed our connecting flight on DL, in Atlanta, because of storms. Our original flight was 23 minutes late arriving at our local airport and then we sat on the tarmac for another hour. We had a two hour connection time and the flight from ATL to Amsterdam left before we landed. Delta could not get us on another flight to our final destination, Stockholm, until two days later, so we missed the first two days of our land trip before our cruise.

Our travel insurance, which we paid over $1400 for, will not cover the land portion. They will cover the two nights that we spent in a hotel and meals.

Our luggage was also MIA. Atlanta said it was in Stockholm already, but it was in the Atlanta airport somewhere. My TSA lock was removed and items were stolen from my luggage.

Our travel insurance, which we paid over $1400 for, will not cover the land portion. They will cover the two nights that we spent in a hotel and meals.

You paid $1400 for travel insurance? For how many lifetimes is it covering you for????

Umm.. I think you guys are a bit out of touch with the costs of travel insurance. Factors that greatly influence the cost are are the cost of the trip and age of travelers. I just ran a quick hypothetical on InsureMyTrip for travelers 70 and 65 for a one month trip to Germany this fall costing $25,000. The cost of a comprehensive policy with trip cancellation and interruption ranged from $1,400 to $3,000.

Umm.. I think you guys are a bit out of touch with the costs of travel insurance. Factors that greatly influence the cost are are the cost of the trip and age of travelers. I just ran a quick hypothetical on InsureMyTrip for travelers 70 and 65 for a one month trip to Germany this fall costing $25,000. The cost of a comprehensive policy with trip cancellation and interruption ranged from $1,400 to $3,000.

Not out of touch at all. The 70 year old age is what is making it so pricey.

Yes, that is what I said. As we don't know the age of the poster who paid $1400 for trip insurance statements like they saw you coming or we didn't pay half that are meaningless.

I am 67 and my husband is 70. The insurance that we purchase for our trips usually average about 8% of the trip cost. The insurance offered by the cruise line is even more costly. I purchase my trip insurance through Insuremytrip.com.

To put this into another perspective, and acknowledging that the insurance market is very different on the other side of the Atlantic: My companion and I pay a little over £200 a year (less than USD 300) for a travel insurance policy that covers any number of trips during the policy year, each trip not to exceed 31 days.

This annual policy is available to anyone up to and including the age of 75 at the start of the policy year.

The headline items covered include (per claim): Emergency medical and repatriation - £10,000,000; Cancelling or curtailing your trip - £5,000; Travel disruption - £5,000; Personal possessions and baggage - £2,000; and Personal money, passport and documents - £500.

So to those of us here, the idea of paying $1,400 for insuring just one trip is :eek:.