Carnival is cutting back so much

esper10

To me, CCL is "positioning" the Carnival brand.

They know exactly what Carnival ships offer as well as every other cruise line does, including their own.

The price you pay is strictly a function of supply and demand, not of cost. That is why prices fluctuate constantly before the ship departs

I think they know that they have lost many of their old customers to other cruise lines and reduced demand, but they have a customer segment who don't mind the product they offer and the Carnival brand can still make money.

We are sailing in a couple of days on the Triumph because Carnival is the only cruise line porting in New Orleans. Carnival is no longer our favorite, but we know what to expect and plan to have a good time.

Carnival Corp owns a number of brands and each have their markets. It would not make sense for them to try to compete against each other.

There are many new customers to take the place of the few old ones. Carnival bookings are strong.

NCL also home ports in New Orleans, although not year round nad there are some river cruise lines.

While it may be true that there are cutbacks on all the lines, some lines are cutting things that really don't sit well with their customers. That is one of the reasons that you should book with other line to achieve a valid point of comparison.

I am Platinum on several lines and was shocked when I started to compare what each of the lines gave me as benefits. Let me tell you that Carnival and Princess really come out on top once you reach the higher levels. At the bottom, NCL who is now in the habit of changing things all the time. Each new promotion that comes out seems to make the cruisers responsible for more and more charges!

If you are unhappy with a cruise line, vote with your pocketbook. There is a cruise line out there for everyone's taste.

From my point of view, I am more than happy to be returning to Carnival after sailing with NCL! By the way, I also just cancelled a voyage on the Breakaway with NCL.

MARAPRINCE

OK, enlighten me....the balconies I referenced doesn't overlook the interior of the ship? the "Promenade" isn't a series of shops?

The Promenade is an interior, and they do have promenade cabins which has windows, but they are not balconies.

They have neighborhood balconies, which are advertised as such, and are actually cheaper than ocean balconies. The types of staterooms are a "choice" you make, and they have their unique perks to them. Only the Oasis class ships have this arrangement. All the other ships that have a promenade, do not have balconies overlooking it.

The Promenade is an interior, and they do have promenade cabins which has windows, but they are not balconies.

They have neighborhood balconies, which are advertised as such, and are actually cheaper than ocean balconies. The types of staterooms are a "choice" you make, and they have their unique perks to them. Only the Oasis class ships have this arrangement. All the other ships that have a promenade, do not have balconies overlooking it.

Thank you for the clarification, as I worded my post incorrectly....So RCI has balcony class cabins on the Oasis class ships that overlook.....the interior of the ship and your "view" is other staterooms (aka "neighborhoods"), where those passengers are looking back at you....but hey, you got a "balcony room" :rolleyes:

Edited by First and Ten

I understand your point even if those with the agenda do not.

Never have I heard you advocate not expressing a negative opinion. What I can say is that when those with the axe to grind come out and inundate threads with their clearly biased viewpoint, you challenge their opinion to provide perspective on that negative opinion.

It's clear those with the agenda WANT to turn people away. It's why they do what they do. What they don't understand is that, while their antics may have turned people away from Cruise Critic, they likely have not turned people away from Carnival.

My headcount is 6 families now. Not really sure how many in each family, but I do have some success rate. I have others that help me, and can also offer first hand experiences. Cruise Critic, is for sharing opinions and if it turns some people away, than it's success.

I also am all for people sharing their negative experiences... even the outlandish and overly-dramatized ones. What I find kinda sad are those few individuals who park themselves in front of the computer with no other purpose than to repeatedly throw out nuggets of negativity without merit. That really doesn't help in the overall scheme of things but those who do it seem to get some satisfaction from it.

The good thing is they are easy to spot. The bad thing is, for those who are equally passionate in the opposite direction, they are hard to ignore.

Quote the conundrum. ;)

Plus, whenever I make a comment, it keeps the negative post on top of the list, which helps more people to see it. For every post I make, I bet I get at least 10 replies.....:D

Plus, whenever I make a comment, it keeps the negative post on top of the list, which helps more people to see it. For every post I make, I bet I get at least 10 replies.....:D

6 whole families? How proud you must be.

Let's say for sake of argument there are 5 in each family. You've turned 30 away from Carnival.

On my recommendation, one group of 23 recently opted to take their family reunion cruise with Carnival. They came back and said they had the time of their lives.

That's just one example. I have countless stories of the same who, after my recommending Carnival based on what they were looking for, said they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Not one said they had a bad time.

You keep doing what you're doing. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I'm already MILES ahead and I don't look like a dolt when I'm doing it.

With cabin service going to once daily we changed our 2017 cruise to RCCL and saved 2k on the fare alone.

First off, it's not going to once a day, secondly, I have yet to see a fare lower on RC, so what's your secret?

First off, it's not going to once a day, secondly, I have yet to see a fare lower on RC, so what's your secret?

I called and it was confirmed, concerning once a day service. As to the pricing, book early. Btw we usually cruise out of Galveston and I have found Carnival to usually be higher than RCCL.

Edited by hulksmash

I called and it was confirmed, concerning once a day service. As to the pricing, book early. Btw we usually cruise out of Galveston and I have found Carnival to usually be higher than RCCL.

So, what you're saying is they confirmed that you will only have once a day service and you couldn't request twice a day? Your information is not the information that I have received, nor my experience on the Dream that uses the comfort card where I checked both and there wasn't an issue what-so-ever. As far as your savings, You must be booking suites, or have a lot of people. There's no way sailing with two people a person can switch to a different line and save $2.000

We've cruised on three lines from Galveston multiple times on nine ships since 2002. Only once did we get a better price on Royal for a 7 night Rhapsody of the Seas sailing.

Your wrong about once a day service, there is not other way to say it. I've asked on three different ships already this year and it's just not true. I'll re-check on the Liberty and Conquest in the next few weeks.

Edited by BallFour4

So, what you're saying is they confirmed that you will only have once a day service and you couldn't request twice a day? Your information is not the information that I have received, nor my experience on the Dream that uses the comfort card where I checked both and there wasn't an issue what-so-ever. As far as your savings, You must be booking suites, or have a lot of people. There's no way sailing with two people a person can switch to a different line and save $2.000

Ok, if you say so.

We've cruised on three lines from Galveston multiple times on nine ships since 2002. Only once did we get a better price on Royal for a 7 night Rhapsody of the Seas sailing.

Your wrong about once a day service, there is not other way to say it. I've asked on three different ships already this year and it's just not true. I'll re-check on the Liberty and Conquest in the next few weeks.

The rep I spoke with read the policy from her supervisor and she was surprised. I bet it will hit Sept 1 as new suite benefits are added. We do not book suites with Carnival as there is no real value with them. I have a Liberty of The Seas booking that was cheaper and a Vision of The Seas that is cheaper, so it does happen.

6 whole families? How proud you must be.

Let's say for sake of argument there are 5 in each family. You've turned 30 away from Carnival.

On my recommendation, one group of 23 recently opted to take their family reunion cruise with Carnival. They came back and said they had the time of their lives.

That's just one example. I have countless stories of the same who, after my recommending Carnival based on what they were looking for, said they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Not one said they had a bad time.

You keep doing what you're doing. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I'm already MILES ahead and I don't look like a dolt when I'm doing it.

My math says he's still up by 7. LOL

Thank you for the clarification, as I worded my post incorrectly....So RCI has balcony class cabins on the Oasis class ships that overlook.....the interior of the ship and your "view" is other staterooms (aka "neighborhoods"), where those passengers are looking back at you....but hey, you got a "balcony room" :rolleyes:

Which could be significant as the higher levels of C&A get a couple hundred dollars off the fare if it's actually called a balcony. So yes, semantics do matter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My math says he's still up by 7. LOL

Perhaps I should have quantified the other 82 (had to jot them down to tally 'em up) to whom I have recommended trying Carnival, did and enjoyed it. I'm batting zero on those that said they hated it.

Crunch those numbers.

Yes Carnival has cut back quite a bit in the ten years that we have been cruising, but in that same time:

Candy bars aren't as big.

Less potato chips in the bag.

Six pack of beer is still the same size just 33% more expensive.

Higher health insurance premiums AND deductibles.

The cost of a cruise today is marginally different then it was in 2006. That doesn't happen without changes being made somewhere. Am I happy with all the changes that they have made? No but my name is not Christine Duffy and I have to decide for myself if the product as provided today still matches my needs. At this point it does.

Edited by figdu

With cabin service going to once daily we changed our 2017 cruise to RCCL and saved 2k on the fare alone.

I do not really believe this. I am pricing 2017 cruises out of Galveston for March. I have cruised Princess and Carnival and want to try Royal Caribbean. I read your post and got excited and looked and think you are off base? The Western Caribbean leaving March 12th for 4 of us (wife and kids age 11 and 13) cheapest inside room is $4775.16 on RCI Liberty of the Seas. Carnival Breeze out of Galveston for Western Caribbean on March 12 cheapest room is $3376.44.

I understand that people have preferences and what-not. I understand that some people talk up their preferred cruise line and talk down their least favorite. I am not even saying that I will not still choose the RCI over Carnival if we cruise in 2017. I just hate it when some seem to put out false info.

If I am mistaken, forgive me and please tell me which cruise on RCI from Galveston in 2017 is $2000 cheaper than Carnival, that way I can look into it without wasting any more of my time. As of now, I think we are just doing something different than a cruise for spring break 2017.

Getting back on topic: we cruised Carnival Ecstasy 4 day in 2002 and then not another cruise until 2015. Last year we did Carnival Inspiration 4 day in March and we liked cruising more than we remembered and booked a summer cruise on Princess (we sailed the Crown Princess in July and had a blast). Both cruises had pros and cons but we are cruising Carnival Miracle as our only cruise in 2016. We did not notice the Carnival cutbacks from 2002-2015.

We liked the Princess cruise better overall, but when we were comparing the positives and negatives and picking this year's cruise, the reason why we like Princess had less to do with the line than the destination. It was hard to compare 7 day Princess in Alaska to 4 day Carnival in Mexico.

But when we all sat down to discuss pros and cons (food, kids club, staff, etc) we decided on Carnival by the slimmest margin. There are things my 70-something in-laws miss about cruising 20-30 years ago, but they seem to think it is across the board.

They had a miserable Carnival cruise in roughly 2010 and said "never again" until they were forced on the Carnival March 2015 cruise (my daughter dance team performed) and it was better than they expected. So in their minds, Carnival has gotten better in the last 5 years or so.

I have only 3 cruises in my life and look forward to trying many other lines and ships in the future and I love seeing what people think about the various options. Thanks to all that contribute!

I do not really believe this. I am pricing 2017 cruises out of Galveston for March. I have cruised Princess and Carnival and want to try Royal Caribbean. I read your post and got excited and looked and think you are off base? The Western Caribbean leaving March 12th for 4 of us (wife and kids age 11 and 13) cheapest inside room is $4775.16 on RCI Liberty of the Seas. Carnival Breeze out of Galveston for Western Caribbean on March 12 cheapest room is $3376.44.

I understand that people have preferences and what-not. I understand that some people talk up their preferred cruise line and talk down their least favorite. I am not even saying that I will not still choose the RCI over Carnival if we cruise in 2017. I just hate it when some seem to put out false info.

If I am mistaken, forgive me and please tell me which cruise on RCI from Galveston in 2017 is $2000 cheaper than Carnival, that way I can look into it without wasting any more of my time. As of now, I think we are just doing something different than a cruise for spring break 2017.

Getting back on topic: we cruised Carnival Ecstasy 4 day in 2002 and then not another cruise until 2015. Last year we did Carnival Inspiration 4 day in March and we liked cruising more than we remembered and booked a summer cruise on Princess (we sailed the Crown Princess in July and had a blast). Both cruises had pros and cons but we are cruising Carnival Miracle as our only cruise in 2016. We did not notice the Carnival cutbacks from 2002-2015.

We liked the Princess cruise better overall, but when we were comparing the positives and negatives and picking this year's cruise, the reason why we like Princess had less to do with the line than the destination. It was hard to compare 7 day Princess in Alaska to 4 day Carnival in Mexico.

But when we all sat down to discuss pros and cons (food, kids club, staff, etc) we decided on Carnival by the slimmest margin. There are things my 70-something in-laws miss about cruising 20-30 years ago, but they seem to think it is across the board.

They had a miserable Carnival cruise in roughly 2010 and said "never again" until they were forced on the Carnival March 2015 cruise (my daughter dance team performed) and it was better than they expected. So in their minds, Carnival has gotten better in the last 5 years or so.

I have only 3 cruises in my life and look forward to trying many other lines and ships in the future and I love seeing what people think about the various options. Thanks to all that contribute!

I agree, have the poster give the details, which he got remarkedly silent on.....

I guess its possible to save 2K on the fare alone when going from a 7 night Carnival Breeze cruise in a balcony to a 3 night cruise on Monarch in an inside.

Otherwise Im gonna raise the BS flag here too. :cool: