Carnival is cutting back so much

esper10

I miss the chocolate on the pillows, the amenities such as travel toothpaste or razor blades in the bathrooms, and I miss the video of the cruise, where they videotape all the events and play them on the TV.

The razors and toothpaste were giveaways from the manufacturers not Carnival. Carnival probably made a bit of money for the product placement.

Pax stopped buying the videos because many carry phones that'll do the same thing.

All companies cut back. A pound of coffee is no longer 16 oz, a half gallon of ice cream is 3 pints. My first experience with keeping the price but giving less product was Thrifty Ice Cream. A scoop cost a nickel, but it was a smaller scoop.

Costs are increasing. Can either raise the price or give less. Either way the company (any company) will get complaints. It's up to the consumer to decide what's worth it to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

The hallmark call by anyone who is programmed to accept less and less in life.

I think it's the difference between disliking a single change (like removing the shrimp cocktail way back when) and disliking the business model.

If it's a solitary change, you can try to reason with the company, make your voice heard and hope they make the change you want.

If you don't like the business model - i.e. Carnival going to a more casual environment with more pay options, fewer evening shows, less fly on entertainers, changes to repeat cruiser benefits - then I think you should move on to other cruise lines or other vacations that are going to better suit your needs.

I am a cruiser who after a brief break, returned to Carnival due to their changes. I like the current offerings and the direction that these offerings are leading them.

Is there a thing or two I would like to see changed (better soda package or steps into the pool) - of course. And I will remind Carnival that I want those things on every survey I get.

Do I have a long laundry list of issues and concerns that lead me to say I'm unhappy with the Current Carnival and what some nostalgic version from 5-10 years ago - no way. Those who do shouldn't continue to sail on a line they are unhappy with - vote with your wallet and take your money (which when it comes down to is truly the only thing Carnival cares about) to another vacation spot that is going to meet your needs, requests and requirements.

The following have both the Rotisserie AND the Mongolian Wok:

Ecstasy

Elation

Fascination

Imagination

Paradise

Sensation

Cool the Sensation has the Rotisserie? I thought they only have the Mongolian, will have to go check that out when I go in October, Is it good, what sort of food do they offer at the Rotisserie?

Cool the Sensation has the Rotisserie? I thought they only have the Mongolian, will have to go check that out when I go in October, Is it good, what sort of food do they offer at the Rotisserie?

The rotisserie is between the grill and Wok. Obviously there's chicken. Also, there might be leg of lamb. There are also some sides. Never look at those bc I just get the lamb.

I love reading about Carnival Cut-backs and the many answers after the initial post that defends Carnival. Then follows how other cruise lines cut back also. Carnival cheapens all the meals, make a hamburger stand the highlight of the food choices, remove entertainment, replaced it with participation shows, removed live music, changed to once a day room cleaning, downgraded MDR staff, cut back on bar service.

Can't seem to find any other cruise line that has done all this. Yet, you can still cruise on them for about the same price if you do your homework and monitor prices.

I love reading about Carnival Cut-backs and the many answers after the initial post that defends Carnival. Then follows how other cruise lines cut back also. Carnival cheapens all the meals, make a hamburger stand the highlight of the food choices, remove entertainment, replaced it with participation shows, removed live music, changed to once a day room cleaning, downgraded MDR staff, cut back on bar service.

Can't seem to find any other cruise line that has done all this. Yet, you can still cruise on them for about the same price if you do your homework and monitor prices.

You are free to book on HAL, Princess, or Celebrity and their 97 yr old median age where the entertainment ends at 8 pm and you are in bed. Perhaps RCI where you pay for a "balcony", think you have a balcony, yet overlook a shopping mall instead of the ocean. I will stick to Carnival, Thank You :D

Edited by First and Ten

This post reminds me of a ferret wearing politician. :p

You are free to book on HAL, Princess, or Celebrity and their 97 yr old median age where the entertainment ends at 8 pm and you are in bed. Perhaps RCI where you pay for a "balcony", think you have a balcony, yet overlook a shopping mall instead of the ocean. I will stick to Carnival, Thank You :D

There are some posters who only have a negative Carnival agenda...any negative Carnival agenda.

The rotisserie is between the grill and Wok. Obviously there's chicken. Also, there might be leg of lamb. There are also some sides. Never look at those bc I just get the lamb.

I heard the Mac & Cheese at rotisserie is awesome although I haven't tried it myself.

So, in the interest of seeing why the cruise lines have "cut back", and having looked at the other thread about Carnival in 1994, I found a Cruise Travel magazine from 1994 that advertises fares. Now, to completely compare apples to apples, I used the Carnival Ecstasy 3 night from Miami in 1994, and the Carnival Fantasy 3 night from Miami today. In 1994, it cost $599pp ($972 in today's dollars) for the cheapest cabin, and today it's $200pp. What else do you know that has dropped in price over 75% in 20 years?

Just calculated a suite, which was $1339pp in 1994 ($2100 in 2016 dollars) and $674pp today.

Same ship, same itinerary, one quarter the price. Sounds like something has to give, since wages, fuel, and food haven't decreased in that time.

So, in the interest of seeing why the cruise lines have "cut back", and having looked at the other thread about Carnival in 1994, I found a Cruise Travel magazine from 1994 that advertises fares. Now, to completely compare apples to apples, I used the Carnival Ecstasy 3 night from Miami in 1994, and the Carnival Fantasy 3 night from Miami today. In 1994, it cost $599pp ($972 in today's dollars) for the cheapest cabin, and today it's $200pp. What else do you know that has dropped in price over 75% in 20 years?

Just calculated a suite, which was $1339pp in 1994 ($2100 in 2016 dollars) and $674pp today.

Same ship, same itinerary, one quarter the price. Sounds like something has to give, since wages, fuel, and food haven't decreased in that time.

Didn't the cost formerly include airfare, though?

a hamburger stand is the highlight of the choices

Hmmm maybe they should serve these burgers in the MDR. That would be awesome.

Still confused why I'd want to cruise these other lines you speak of. Still love everything Carnival puts out there. Not going anywhere anytime soon.

Yes, there have been changes that have resulted in cuts to some things. But there have also been many additions. Not just Upcharge items either. Comparing our recent Magic Cruise to my first one on the Imagination in 1999, we now have the following at no extra charge: more comfortable beds and bedding; specialty eateries including Guys, Blue Iguana, Mongolian Wok, Barbecue; Sea Day brunch; serenity deck; comedy club; your time dining option . . . to name a few.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here's 2 comparisons

Didn't the cost formerly include airfare, though?

Nope. Here's the link:

https://books.google.com/books?id=iS0DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA60&lpg=PA60&dq=what+did+a+cruise+cost+in+1994&source=bl&ots=uueo09_GGr&sig=LrOXbHy8JXFlk5ydlFCu8HrdB1Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiikOvn6cbOAhXIDsAKHT8SA9cQ6AEIQjAG

It specifically says that airfare is extra, except as noted, and no note next to the Ecstasy fares.

I miss the chocolate on the pillows, the amenities such as travel toothpaste or razor blades in the bathrooms, and I miss the video of the cruise, where they videotape all the events and play them on the TV.

But I don't see any of these as cutbacks as much as good business decisions. The chocolates were done away with cause roughly 75% were thrown away. Toothpaste and razors were from the manufacturer not Carnival so little could be done when the manufacturer stopped sending them. Videotape was ended because the company doing said sales dropped. Remember the photos are a private company that Carnival contracts with. Could they demand the return of the video. Sure but you keep demanding a vendor provides an item they can not sale. You end up without a vendor.

Perhaps RCI where you pay for a "balcony", think you have a balcony, yet overlook a shopping mall instead of the ocean.

Just to correct some misleading information here, there is not a ship sailing under the Royal Caribbean flag that has balconies overlooking "a shopping mall". The cabins overlooking the Royal Promenade "aka shopping mall" to detractors are called Promenade cabins and are categorized as interior cabins.

Oasis class has "neighborhood balcony" cabins which are clearly categorized as such and are known as Central Park View Stateroom w/ balcony or Boardwalk View Stateroom with balcony. These cabins are generally much cheaper than the Oceanview balconies. Someone booking one of these cabins thinking they are gonna be able to see the ocean clearly did ZERO research.

FWIW, Im not waving the RC pom poms and Im not jumping on you. :) Only correcting some misleading information. Im pretty bitter at RC right now but I just couldnt let this stand. Im gonna stick with Carnival too, for now :)

Edited by ryano

Sigh :rolleyes: The highlight of food choices on Magic was in NO WAY the "hamburger stand". How absurd that you would get that just because people commenting on Guys Burgers. The MDR food totally blew Royals MDR food away in every aspect and the Lido buffet was much better too. We had TWICE a day cabin service, LIVE music in several venues and no noticeable cutback on bar service.

Service was outstanding all over on Carnival so just stop with your blanket statements already. We got it the first 50 times you posted it that you hate Carnival.

On Freedom of the seas however, the MDR totally sucked in both food quality and service, there are very few included food options, Chops was very "meh", the pizza is the nastiest pizza ever and bar service was practically non existent and the crew had a general "we dont care" attitude everywhere I went.

You are something else. SMH

Edited by ryano

Just to correct some misleading information here, there is not a ship sailing under the Royal Caribbean flag that has balconies overlooking "a shopping mall". The cabins overlooking the Royal Promenade "aka shopping mall" to detractors are called Promenade cabins and are categorized as interior cabins.

Oasis class has "neighborhood balcony" cabins which are clearly categorized as such and are known as Central Park View Stateroom w/ balcony or Boardwalk View Stateroom with balcony. These cabins are generally much cheaper than the Oceanview balconies. Someone booking one of these cabins thinking they are gonna be able to see the ocean clearly did ZERO research.

FWIW, Im not waving the RC pom poms and Im not jumping on you. :) Only correcting some misleading information. Im pretty bitter at RC right now but I just couldnt let this stand. Im gonna stick with Carnival too, for now :)

I have nothing but props for RCI....they sell you a "balcony" room, overlooking the INTERIOR of the ship on the "Royal Promenade" (its a bunch of shops with a palm tree) and people say "I have this balcony room" :rolleyes:....I want to offer these people beachfront property in Kansas :D

Edited by First and Ten

I have nothing but props for RCI....they sell you a "balcony" room, overlooking the INTERIOR of the ship on the "Royal Promenade" (its a bunch of shops with a palm tree) and people say "I have this balcony room" :rolleyes:....I want to offer these people beachfront property in Kansas :D

You dont seem to understand the difference between OCEANVIEW balcony and NEIGHBORHOOD balcony. Neighborhood balconies do NOT overlook the Royal Promenade. They overlook Central Park or the Boardwalk. There are no rules that balcony cabins have to have a ocean view. Im not gonna argue with you though :)

Edited by ryano

You dont seem to understand the difference between OCEANVIEW balcony and NEIGHBORHOOD balcony. Neighborhood balconies do NOT overlook the Royal Promenade. They overlook Central Park or the Boardwalk. There are no rules that balcony cabins have to have a ocean view. Im not gonna argue with you though :)

I understand the difference fine. You don't seem to pick up on sarcasm and play on words....RCI has you convinced they have all these "balcony" rooms. They actually are. They have balconies that overlook shops. You book these, and you get to watch people shopping. I guess it is almost like watching a beautiful sunset from a "REAL" balcony room :rolleyes:

I guess that plays into the mindset of those who claim to only sail on "bigger" ships :D

Edited by First and Ten