Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

mscdivina2016

Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. Poll..... Should kids be allowed in the Haven at all?

• NO
    • Yes but only with adult supervision at all times
    • Yes but with Adults only times for the pool
    • Yes, but not in the pool
    • yes, but have an attendant on duty who is not tipped

T

So, I let that stuff slide.

If there was any justice, by the 2nd day of the cruise, it became clear that the Haven bar tenders and the servers in the Haven were being purposely inattentive to her.

The bartender (wish I could recall her name, she was wonderful and I tipped her well) would engage in conversation with me, and others when this lady appeared with her....."Miss?....Miss?.....oh Miss?...Miss?" and would tell her she would get to her after she was finished with our order, which she took her time while repeatedly asking me if I needed something else, just to stall this lady.

You gotta LOVE Karma!! I figured this rude, entitled lady would get hers! Glad you didn't let her upset you much and that the bartender put her in her place :D

I might be in the minority. But I enjoy watching kids enjoy themselves. I like to see them smile, laugh and play. I want all kids to be happy. I remember all of my family vacations as a child. Great memories. Of course I was always a perfect angel.

I am in my 50's. No kids. Love being "Aunt Donna" to my sister's kids, who are now young adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get that a few posters on here have had bad experiences with kids in the Haven, but at times, I also think the problem is overblown. DH and I were in the Haven on the GA in July sans kids and had zero problems whatsoever. There were maybe 8 kids total that we encountered and all behaved well. However, we were in the Haven pool one day and there was a woman who was absolutely cursing up a storm and complaining about the "bleep, bleep kids." These kids were not misbehaving in any way...they were just hanging in the pool. But, I can guarantee she went home and went on and on about kids in the Haven courtyard and how awful they were...I heard her complaining on multiple days. I just think that some people have zero tolerance for children.

Tales of that woman and polls like this are why I'm anxious about taking my child on our upcoming cruise. We are staying Haven. She's well behaved but for some, the mere presence of a child is enough to ruin the day.

Something to note to all you people going no kids allowed, the ONLY place on the ship with a pool even SLIGHTLY the right depth for small children is in the Haven. The "family" pool is over 5' deep with no real spot for parents to sit to supervise their children.

So will my child use the Haven pool? Absolutely.

I might be in the minority. But I enjoy watching kids enjoy themselves. I like to see them smile, laugh and play. I want all kids to be happy. I remember all of my family vacations as a child. Great memories. Of course I was always a perfect angel.

I am in my 50's. No kids. Love being "Aunt Donna" to my sister's kids, who are now young adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree completely. We have had some superb times in the Haven when there have been kids around. We have only sailed once on Getaway and Epic, so most have been on Jewel Class ships. The only issue we have had was where some kids were splashing over some of the seats, but a sharp word or two soon solved that.

Clearly there are some adults who shouldn't be allowed out without close supervision, but we have found them few and far between but if they or their offspring impacted on our enjoyment of the Haven, I would not hesitate in getting staff to sort it. The Haven is a beautiful shared space but it only works if everyone appreciates others wishes in there. You have paid to be there, so have others and if you or your offspring can't get on with your fellow cruisers, then you should expect to be sanctioned by the staff. There are enough cameras in there for the senior staff to see if the place is being abused.

By the way Tasm3n, the Jewel Class Haven pools are quite deep (at least 4-5 feet), so parental supervision is vital in there. It is nothing like the shallow mega-ship Haven pools.

By the way Tasm3n, the Jewel Class Haven pools are quite deep (at least 4-5 feet), so parental supervision is vital in there. It is nothing like the shallow mega-ship Haven pools.

We'll be on the Escape. We would definitely be supervising no matter the depth of the pool. I believe the Haven pool is still around 4 feet but that's still shallower than the family pool on the ship.

We will be in the haven in a couple of weeks. Since school will be underway I don't expect a ton of kids. Even so if I want to use the pool or hot tub and there are kids in it I'll just squeeze on in and relax. Most of the time doing this the kids leave as they don't feel comfortable with a couple of adults in there with them. lol works well.

wasn't there a time when children were not supposed to go into hot tubs. it was supposed to be a health risk. It's not anymore?:cool:

They are not allowed in them unless an adult is with them. 16 and over is OK.

I don't see them enforcing that though:rolleyes:

^^^ The hot tubs are not a health risk because they are not hot. Just barely warm. No health risk.

I have 2 kids, (teens now) we cruise now only in the Haven. It would suck if we couldn't enjoy the Haven but I have to say, on the Escape at least, the noise level inside the Haven, because it's enclosed and there is so much glass and metal, the noise was really, really, really bad. Sounds just echoed and bounced off all that metal. Even a few kids just being normal kids would make that place too loud.

But then the Escape has an enormous amount of Haven suites. There are a lot of people using the Escape Haven.

I think there should be a "quiet" area of some sort in the Haven where it just isn't so loud. Again, I have kids, but it's an issue on the Escape.

Edited by Vyhanek

I just love threads like this. If some people had their way there would be no kids, no smokers, no gamblers, no drinking, no laughing, no people with sense of humors. Reminds me of what my mom said the 1st time we walked into the courtyard on a winter 12 night cruise.

And I quote

"I see dead people"

Its all fine as long as you don't impose on others.

If we hear your kids they are too loud

If we smell your smoke its a health risk to us

If you gamble with in your limits fine,when you get upset with other players and physically assault one then there is a problem

If you drink in moderation and keep to yourself, when you try and grab someones ....... then again a problem

see a pattern?

They are not allowed in them unless an adult is with them. 16 and over is OK.

I don't see them enforcing that though:rolleyes:

Pretty much everywhere I've ever been on holiday has had a 16+ rule for hot tubs.

Enforcement varies.

If you gamble with in your limits fine,when you get upset with other players and physically assault one then there is a problem

If you drink in moderation and keep to yourself, when you try and grab someones ....... then again a problem

see a pattern?

Now you are just grasping at straws. There is not some giant bubble you can put around you when you go on vacation. Ship happens.

Wow... That easily implies if a child so much as opens their mouth, they are too loud.

Children should be seen and not heard is an absolutely archaic ideal and not at all responsible. Should they be running around and yelling? No. But they are certainly allowed to talk.

I seriously think people have forgotten they were children once and treat children like they are the scourge of the earth.

Wow... That easily implies if a child so much as opens their mouth, they are too loud.

Children should be seen and not heard is an absolutely archaic ideal and not at all responsible. Should they be running around and yelling? No. But they are certainly allowed to talk.

I seriously think people have forgotten they were children once and treat children like they are the scourge of the earth.

I think if people don't want to hear children, they have a better chance of it if they cruise on a luxury cruise line. Not 100% guarantee, but a better chance of not hearing them.

Interesting thread I just came across. Just now, not more then 30 minutes ago we left the Haven Lounge, not the pool area, and there were 3-4 kids, 7-8-9 ?, old enough to know better, running up the stairs on one end and jumping down the circular stairway into the lounge area and out the door and back into the pool area. No parents ? The lounge staff and an assistant concierge perhaps told them to stop running only once. You could tell they were uncomfortable in doing so. I love children, but don't tell me to stay off a ship that allows children if I don't condone the parent's obvious lack of duty. Regards Gerry.

Edited by buckeye rob

I think if people don't want to hear children, they have a better chance of it if they cruise on a luxury cruise line. Not 100% guarantee, but a better chance of not hearing them.

That was not the case I have experienced. Since the luxury lines don't have much for kids, all they have is the pool and hot tubs. I will say that it is foreigners who cause the most ruckus. They come on with very large families and they talk very loud all the time.

I do understand that is the way they are and that is how it is in their families,country, or what ever. Yes, I came from the seen not heard up bringing.

That was not the case I have experienced. Since the luxury lines don't have much for kids, all they have is the pool and hot tubs. I will say that it is foreigners who cause the most ruckus. They come on with very large families and they talk very loud all the time.

I do understand that is the way they are and that is how it is in their families,country, or what ever. Yes, I came from the seen not heard up bringing.

I've sailed on Crystal numerous times and only twice did I ever encounter unruly children. If you noticed, I said it is not 100% guaranteed that you won't hear them on luxury lines, just your odds are lower.

I've traveled the world and if I had an issue with someone talking loud or someone not behaving like I would like them to do, I would have stopped traveling after my first out of the country experience. Thankfully, I don't allow others to encroach on my having a great time.

see a pattern?

I agree with your bottom three items but not the "If we hear your kids they are too loud" part. Kids can talk and play and be respectful kids. There is nothing better than a happy, respectful kid. It's the running, throwing, pushing, screaming part that most people don't like. I am a mom of two and my husband and I have always made our kids be respectful around adults (especially elderly). If you are in a pool, you don't splash adults in the face, you don't run in a crowded room (unless it is a playground), if our kids threw a tantrum anywhere, they were removed as soon as possible and not allowed to disrupt everyone else. It is just common respect. It should not be this big of a deal. Watch your kids, reprimand them when they need it and remove them if they aren't listening... Easy Peasy! For the people who think children should NEVER be heard, well that is just ridiculous....

Interesting thread I just came across. Just now, not more then 30 minutes ago we left the Haven Lounge, not the pool area, and there were 3-4 kids, 7-8-9 ?, old enough to know better, running up the stairs on one end and jumping down the circular stairway into the lounge area and out the door and back into the pool area. No parents ? The lounge staff and an assistant concierge perhaps told them to stop running only once. You could tell they were uncomfortable in doing so. I love children, but don't tell me to stay off a ship that allows children if I don't condone the parent's obvious lack of duty. Regards Gerry.

That is too bad. You shouldn't have to deal with other kids misbehaving. I am sure the staff is uncomfortable, as they should not be put in the position to parent other people's kids. I think some people just don't like parenting. It is a ton of work to teach kids respect for others and right from wrong. It is much easier to just ignore them and let them run amuck. Unfortunately, they don't just make their own parents miserable.....

Edited by suesings

Great to hear about kids enjoying themselves on vacation. That the way it should be. Too bad the adults are sooooooo judgement all and not more tolerant.

I agree with your bottom three items but not the "If we hear your kids they are too loud" part. Kids can talk and play and be respectful kids. There is nothing better than a happy, respectful kid. It's the running, throwing, pushing, screaming part that most people don't like. I am a mom of two and my husband and I have always made our kids be respectful around adults (especially elderly). If you are in a pool, you don't splash adults in the face, you don't run in a crowded room (unless it is a playground), if our kids threw a tantrum anywhere, they were removed as soon as possible and not allowed to disrupt everyone else. It is just common respect. It should not be this big of a deal. Watch your kids, reprimand them when they need it and remove them if they aren't listening... Easy Peasy! For the people who think children should NEVER be heard, well that is just ridiculous....

I would not mind sailing with you.

Its the "watch me" being yelled from the opposite end of the pool while the other cannonballs in that irks me.