Sydney Cruise Ship Drug Bust!

Three people carrying 95 kg of cocaine??? I don't know how much volume 95 kg would be, but surely it would take up a few suitcases.

It would but according to the news tonight they never got to leave their cabin - the authorities busted them in their cabin with the drugs. Sounds like an international operation with the authorities cooperating on intelligence - so they were expected and never set foot on land with the drugs

If its three people taking 30kg each they could have made a morning run and afternoon run or even three runs to and from the ship.

The fact some were young would not have made one bit of difference arousing suspicion. Cruise lines can tell who the drug couriers are because they stay in their cabin the whole time and do not get into the enjoyment of the cruise. They do not go to shows and probably do not get dressed up. On a cruise they would look out of place as they are just not in the mood for the holiday. That is how they have been caught in the past when I read up on the details in the news and what is released to the public.

My only disappointment is that the ship not going by Singapore or Indonesia first and allowing their police to board and take them.

Reading a couple more articles

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canadians-charged-australia-cocaine-1.3739299

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-29/three-canadians-charged-after-cocaine-found-on-cruise-ship/7793740

it does sound like it is standard procedure to go through passenger lists of incoming cruise ships, and working with international counterparts identify "high risk passengers".

Very interesting!

Perhaps it came up over the side, while the ship was in port.:eek:

Perhaps it came on-board in amongst food-stuffs.(replenishing):confused:

Perhaps it came on-board via various tenders, over various ports, hidden in tenders, and sought out later.:cool:

Could never happen hey.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's what I was thinking.

A lot of money behind this, and so usually there's some pay-offs if they can find someone willing to 'help out'.

G'day all,

Earlier this year, we were on Pacific Pearl and it was suspected that some young guys were smoking/doing drugs on board and it seems they were just accross the hall from our cabins.

When we arrived in Wellington NZ we didn't go on any of the tours as we had other plans, then about 2hrs later there were knocks at the door requesting our cabins be inspected the NZ drug dog, Fine. About 8-10 cabins were inspected. It was later obvious that the young blokes opposite never made it out of Wellington on the Pearl!

It does happen and the inspectors have every right to inspect on board...and really the ships can't stop them or they are refused entry into the port.

cya

BL262000

US forces are even more forceful.

We had them do specific inspections on arrival into Honolulu, though they dressed it up in a cover story to make it appear innocuous.

Oh dear, step mother boarded the ship in Sydney with her two sisters & friend, it seems most passengers were blissfully unaware of the goings on so it seems like the staff, AFP and authorities etc kept things low key which is a good thing!

Teddy

Similarly, I know a couple who came off, who were across most things onboard the trip. They had no idea though!

I think they are very lucky indeed to have missed some of those countries that carry a death penalty.

Like they should have 'allowed' them to travel on to Port Benoa (Bali.) I like their style of justice.

Edited by NSWP

Like they should have 'allowed' them to travel on to Port Benoa (Bali.) I like their style of justice.

I suppose it all depends on if they were trying to bring it in for Indonesia or into a country with less strict laws. Either way, justice should be upheld and be applicable to the laws of that country.

Edited by MicCanberra

It would but according to the news tonight they never got to leave their cabin - the authorities busted them in their cabin with the drugs. Sounds like an international operation with the authorities cooperating on intelligence - so they were expected and never set foot on land with the drugs

You appear to have misunderstood my earlier post. I also heard on the news that the police found the drugs and the passengers in their two cabins. My post referred to an earlier comment that they could have brought the drugs on board strapped to their bodies.

I didn't know that (but then again I don't tend to smuggle loads of cocaine either)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every cruise terminal I have been in, there's always police there with the dogs sniffing bags. Even in some foreign ports there dogs sniffing bags that people take off the ship. There's several garbage cans there filled with fruit from the ship. It's a laugh watching some people start dancing and scrambling to get the fruit out of their bags before the dogs get to them. If convicted, looks like the cocaine smugglers will get life in prison. Not feeling sorry for them either.

Two problems with that suggestion:

1. It is believed the drugs were intended for the Australian market.

2. The ship is not going to Bali. :)

Maybe next time. One can only hope. I hope the three alleged offenders tipped their steward and waiters before they got frog marched off in ye olde handcuffs. But, wait...Sea Princess tips are included in the cruise price.

I trust their credit card worked when Carnival Corp hit them for their on board a/c.

Edited by NSWP

Every cruise terminal I have been in, there's always police there with the dogs sniffing bags. Even in some foreign ports there dogs sniffing bags that people take off the ship. There's several garbage cans there filled with fruit from the ship. It's a laugh watching some people start dancing and scrambling to get the fruit out of their bags before the dogs get to them. If convicted, looks like the cocaine smugglers will get life in prison. Not feeling sorry for them either.

These are Quarantine officers with dogs specifically looking for food (bio-hazard). I doubt that these dogs would detect drugs.:) Darwin is probably the port where I have seen Quarantine dogs more often than any other port.

Makes me wonder if Princess (Carnival) are going to tighten up security and screening for a while. Can't imagine how this amount of cocaine could get on board without being detected. The sleuth in me was thinking it was let through deliberately? Looks like huge cooperation from international authorities.

Edited by happysnapper

You would think they would learn,Heres a link to an earlier drug bust on Aurora in 2012 when she called into the OPT on her World Cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1582249&highlight=drugs+sydneyAnother

February 28th, 2012, 11:18 AM - MMDown Under

Drug arrest Aurora in Sydney

Updated Feb. 22, 8:45 a.m. EST -- A British national sailing onboard Aurora has been arrested in Sydney, Australia, for allegedly trying to import over 60 pounds (30 kilograms) of cocaine inside both a wetsuit he was wearing underneath his clothes and three pieces of his luggage. The 59-year-old man was stopped by customs officers and a drug sniffer dog last Friday at the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Circular Quay, Sydney. His arrest followed the arrests of an Australian man and two New Zealanders onboard the same ship when it docked in San Francisco on January 25. It is not known if the incidents are related.

Cruise Critic news

59 years old and he didn't learn anything following the arrest of Aussie and Kiwi in San Francisco!

I wonder whether the wetsuit under his clothes was an attempt to put the sniffer dog off?

You would think they would learn,Heres a link to an earlier drug bust on Aurora in 2012 when she called into the OPT on her World Cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1582249&highlight=drugs+sydneyAnother

Maybe the wetsuit was to act like a corset and hold bags of drugs in place. However if a little bit of the wetsuit was visible at either the neck or wrists, it would look very suspicious. People don't usually wear wetsuits under their clothes. :)

Good to see the 'Armchair Detectives' out and about. Some top class investigations going on here. LOL.

I read too many James Patterson novels.:D Guess it does not matter to us how they did it...the thing is that very large batch of cocaine did not make it to our streets.

Good to see the 'Armchair Detectives' out and about. Some top class investigations going on here. LOL.

You should be used to that Uncle Les, a bit like those armchair coaches (pretty much any sport) Mic mentions or Bush Lawyers that know all about the law, they're everywhere.