Living onboard information?

gottagocit

I have a friend from high school who married the ceo and president of warner bras.They originally had a cabin which cost $2,0000.00 but they switched to a two bedroom cabin for $10,0000.00.The maintenance fee is $200,000.00per year.

It nice to have a lot of money.

long cruiser

The biggest issue we've ever had was when Chase's credit card files were compromised and we were issued a new card one week into a 3-4 month cruise. The card was the one we used for auto charges; it never left our safe because we thought changing all those accounts in the event something happened would be tough. Well, it was very tough to get the information from a new credit card sent in the mail back at home, activate the card from outside the country and get the card updated with several vendors, all using expensive and slow Internet. But we did it.

My Princess credit card was compromised & I received an email on a Royal Princess cruise. The PSD let me use their phone line to straighten everything out at no charge. We put a stop on all charges except for the one from our ships account which occurred about 20 days later.

In the mean time the new card was sent to our address at home. Funny thing is even though my card number was the one that was compromised they issued one new card with a new number & still maintained the same old number for my wife. Now we receive 1 monthly bill with a breakdown for both numbers.

It always pays to travel with at least another credit card for situations like that as a backup, although I didn't let them know I had one.

My Princess credit card was compromised & I received an email on a Royal Princess cruise. The PSD let me use their phone line to straighten everything out at no charge. We put a stop on all charges except for the one from our ships account which occurred about 20 days later.

In the mean time the new card was sent to our address at home. Funny thing is even though my card number was the one that was compromised they issued one new card with a new number & still maintained the same old number for my wife. Now we receive 1 monthly bill with a breakdown for both numbers.

It always pays to travel with at least another credit card for situations like that as a backup, although I didn't let them know I had one.

It's possible that they did that BECAUSE it was a princess card (as opposed to just any old CC) but glad it worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a great thread and discussion! Many thanks to everyone participating.

Lots to consider and perhaps apply should we try this. Seems to me a good idea might be to first try the 3-4 month winter trip and see how that goes.

We aren't to the point of doing it yet but hope to at some point.

Thanks again,

Chris

It always pays to travel with at least another credit card for situations like that as a backup...

Absolutely. Two credit cards (make sure you have the international contact numbers for both) and two ATM cards.

The card that was compromised was at home in the safe. It had never seen the light of day since it was placed in there. It's a separate credit card that is used just for our auto charges (cable, insurance, water, cell service) and is the one that was compromised at Chase.

Absolutely. Two credit cards (make sure you have the international contact numbers for both) and two ATM cards.

The card that was compromised was at home in the safe. It had never seen the light of day since it was placed in there. It's a separate credit card that is used just for our auto charges (cable, insurance, water, cell service) and is the one that was compromised at Chase.

True. Easy to misplace or lose one.

We certainly learned about having two credit cards the hard way. One cruise in the 1990's we had our primary credit card (used for our shipboard account) put on a fraud hold by the bank after a charge onshore in the Caribbean (we now religiously let the bank know of our travel plans, and Wells Fargo now supports an online tool to do this). This same cruise we had purchased a lot of art to decorate our house, and found it exceeded the lower credit limit on our backup credit card. We ended up using my wife's business credit card (self employed) which she had forgotten to take out of her purse for vacation. (whew!)

When preparing for another cruise, not long after, I phoned for travel authorization for a longstanding card at another bank, used for backup, only to find it had been "cancelled for non-use for >6 months." So even back-up cards can be a problem.

It is true. I recently saw the story and visit with this lady on a tv program a few weeks ago. I believe her name is Wachstetter.

Yep. Lee Wachtstetter on the Crystal Serenity.

USA Today article about her:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2015/01/19/woman-pays-164k-per-year-to-live-on-luxury-cruise-ship/22030011/

Edited by msg74

Until I meet this little old lady. I don't believe it sorry.

Tony

Actually, the 4 "live aboards" on the Serenity are well known here on CC, over on the Crystal board. There are always questions about what does Crystal do for them during drydock, and whether they were staying onboard for the NWP cruise.

Do a CC search for "crystal serenity live aboards", and even with the poor search engine here, many hits come up immediately.

Crystal has plans to sell "condos" on their new builds.

Edited by chengkp75