Can we switch the alcohol package perk for a non-alcoholic package?

MsSoCalCruiser

I'm guessing from the OPs post that they might want to swap the Classical Alcoholic Drinks Package for the Premium Non-Alcoholic Drinks Package (as it still costs less if ordered)

My wife doesn't drink alcohol and I asked this specific question of Celebrity and they said "No" but I could change to the Classic Non Alcoholic Package. It's my understanding that everything on the Classic Non Alcoholic Package is available on the Classic Alcoholic Package.

For us it makes more sense to stick with what was supplied as it means that I can occasionally go large if my wife doesn't want a drink and I have her card :-)

I can see why some people wouldn't want free access to booze available to them at the swipe of a card

There have been a few reports on these boards that the switch can be done at Guest Relations IF, and this is important, nothing has been ordered yet.

If the beverage package has been "activated" then it couldn't be undone.

So all you can do is try once you get on board.

As to why someone would want to do this, there are two reasons. Can come up with. First, there are some non-alcoholic drinks that are on the Premium no -alcoholic package which the passenger might be interested in. Second, recovering alcoholics may find the temptation of being able to swipe the card, get an alcoholic drink, and have no record of it, too difficult,

A key point is that if you ask the CSR stateside, you will be told that it can't be done, but on the ship, perhaps it can.

Edited by cruisestitch

My husband, who doesn't drink alcohol, was able to switch (at guest relations) from the classic drink package to the premium non-alcohol package. The non-alcohol premium package offered some upper end sparkling waters that he couldn't have accessed if he had kept the classic drink package. Not sure if these options are still in effect at this point, but I'd head to guest relations just after you board to inquire.

Bon voyage

Betsy

My husband, who doesn't drink alcohol, was able to switch (at guest relations) from the classic drink package to the premium non-alcohol package. The non-alcohol premium package offered some upper end sparkling waters that he couldn't have accessed if he had kept the classic drink package. Not sure if these options are still in effect at this point, but I'd head to guest relations just after you board to inquire.

Bon voyage

Betsy

Thank you, Betsy! Yes, my friend is wanting the upper end waters and smoothies that are not included in the Classic package.

As to why someone would want to do this, there are two reasons. Can come up with. First, there are some non-alcoholic drinks that are on the Premium no -alcoholic package which the passenger might be interested in. Second, recovering alcoholics may find the temptation of being able to swipe the card, get an alcoholic drink, and have no record of it, too difficult,

A key point is that if you ask the CSR stateside, you will be told that it can't be done, but on the ship, perhaps it can.

This is not the case with us but this is an excellent point. Thank you.

Hi there

We have tried twice on board to switch from classic alcoholic to premium non alcoholic and both times we were told no. We had to pay the difference between the classic and the premium non alcoholic which I think was 10 per day. So maybe it depends who you get at guest relations!! Can't hurt to try.

Good luck

We sailed on Equnox in April, 2015. We had Classic Alcohol Package. Went to Guest Relations and they let my husband switch to Premium NonAlcoholic Package for no cost. He does not drink but wanted the sparkling waters. We sail in two months and hope we can do same thing

They let us do it in June of this year when we visited Guest Relations as soon as we boarded - I upgraded to the premium alcoholic and my husband switched to the premium non-alcoholic. They hemmed and hawed and told us that they don't normally do it but obviously they do sometimes...

• 10 months later...
We sailed on Equnox in April, 2015. We had Classic Alcohol Package. Went to Guest Relations and they let my husband switch to Premium NonAlcoholic Package for no cost. He does not drink but wanted the sparkling waters. We sail in two months and hope we can do same thing

Has anyone tried this lately? We have one that would like to keep the classic alcohol package and the other would like to have the premium non-alcoholic package.

My son was not quite 21 yet so they "substituted" the premium non alcoholic package saying is was the closest to equivalent that they had and made it sound like it was a common practice so it should not be a problem.

Has anyone tried this lately? We have one that would like to keep the classic alcohol package and the other would like to have the premium non-alcoholic package.

We tried this on the Equinox in late June. We went to Guest Relations immediately after boarding and before ordering any beverages. We were told No. Our booking was "Go Better" which included two perks. - the classic alcoholic and the $300 OBC. We were told if we wanted to change one drink package to the premium nonalcoholic we would have to pay the full price, not even the difference between classic and premium. We were also told we could both give up the drinks package and substitute free gratuities, but that was a non-starter on a 7 night cruise.

I had no problem doing this. The premium non-alcoholic package is actually a downgrade costwise from the classic alcoholic package. I did it because I wanted the premium waters. Can't remember if I was on the Infinity or the Summit. So I think you should be a bit more persistent if GR says no. It's actually saving them money.

Hi there

We have tried twice on board to switch from classic alcoholic to premium non alcoholic and both times we were told no. We had to pay the difference between the classic and the premium non alcoholic which I think was 10 per day. So maybe it depends who you get at guest relations!! Can't hurt to try.

Good luck

I think you might be confusing something here.

The Premium-Non-Alcoholic Package is cheaper than the Classic Beverage Package - so there is no diffrence to pay.

Around 10 $ is the difference between the Classic and the Premium Alcoholic packages.

My OH did this twice, in 2015 and 2016 to access the sparkling waters which are the only non alcoholic additional benefit from doing so. They accommodated it at guest relations on boarding. But the next time in 2016 they said no it couldn't be done and has never been allowed despite my OH pointing to the person at guest relations that allowed it on the previous cruise. So inconsistent.

Next time think we may try the 'he got the drinks package included but has since become a friend of Bill W so doesn't want the ability to access alcoholic drinks". Might work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The best my TA could do is switch me from the Classic Alcoholic package to the Classic Non-Alcoholic beforehand, then I just paid the $4 a day difference to upgrade to the Premium Non-Alcoholic package using OBC.

Thank you all for your replies. I have a friend that may want to switch. I do know that my friend would like the premium waters and the smoothies that are available with the premium nonalcoholic package.

I wonder why it is so hard to switch and why some have been able to but others have not? This would actually save them money, wouldn't it?

I wonder why it is so hard to switch and why some have been able to but others have not? This would actually save them money, wouldn't it?

Celebrity is trying to make to make more money out of you switching not less, by getting you to pay.

From a customers perspective it seems like it is a terrible deal. You've already paid a premium of several hundred dollars for a classic alcohol drinks package to drink pennies worth of soda. Now If you want some nice water (which probably still only costs the cruise line pennies) that huge premium you paid for a drinks package is insufficient and they want more.