GTY cabins - with 11 days to go...

Anne76

Showed up between 5PM and 8PM EDT. (It was on the my reservations page and the tags).

Zaandam Cabin number H3307, Lower Promenade

One less thing to think about. Printing paperwork.

Judy

I think this is an outstanding location! One more hint - if you want quick access to the bow, just turn RIGHT out of your cabin door and go thru the doors at the front of your corridor. Stairs to the bow are right there.

Enjoy Alaska!

Arie

Nothing again this morning... Spoke to someone at my travel agency yesterday, we are waiting to monday and then we will call to check what's available...

It's my first time on Holland, so I don't know if I need to be cautious about some decks or places because of noise or loud music...

Have a great weekend everyone!

We recently booked an OV Gty cabin, but after reading how long it's taking to get assignments, we decided to book a specific cabin. We moved from a guarantee to an OV Spa cabin on Promenade deck for $160.00 (Canadian) per person. Seems like as small amount of money for peace of mind and no stress waiting for 7 months. If we get offered an upsell to a balcony, then we'll consider it, depending on location and price offered.

I really don't think I could handle the "not knowing" aspect of booking a guarantee again. Of course, I realise that some folks get fabulous free upgrades by doing a guarantee booking, so I may be missing out on something good.

We recently booked an OV Gty cabin, but after reading how long it's taking to get assignments, we decided to book a specific cabin. We moved from a guarantee to an OV Spa cabin on Promenade deck for $160.00 (Canadian) per person. Seems like as small amount of money for peace of mind and no stress waiting for 7 months. If we get offered an upsell to a balcony, then we'll consider it, depending on location and price offered.

I really don't think I could handle the "not knowing" aspect of booking a guarantee again. Of course, I realise that some folks get fabulous free upgrades by doing a guarantee booking, so I may be missing out on something good.

Personally, I am not a fan of guarantees any longer, since HAL redid their category booking levels a couple of years ago. Too many times I now find inferior loactions in categories just higher than the ones I am looking to book in. It would have to be a big price difference to get me to go with a guarantee now a days. As the HI saying goes "the best surprise is no surprise"!

Edited by DaveOKC

Recently, we booked an interior guaranty room on a cruise to Canada/New England. I noted a $100 price drop, contacted HAL, was referred back to my TA and got upgraded to an OV obstructed. Got our luggage tags about 6 days before the cruise, and ended up with an unobstructed OV! Thanks HAL! (it was a great cruise too!)

Just got our assignment in the magical evening window, 11 days out. Had booked an H during the view and verandah sale early this year. Got an H deck 3 forward.

So happy that for the first time ever we don't have to deal with elevators/stairs for muster!!! [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Dobermangal

Just got our assignment in the magical evening window, 11 days out. Had booked an H during the view and verandah sale early this year. Got an H deck 3 forward.

So happy that for the first time ever we don't have to deal with elevators/stairs for muster!!! [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Glad to hear that you got your assignment! Enjoy your cruise.

However, for me, booking a gty H, waiting till 11 days before sailing and then receiving an H cabin makes me think I'd rather book a specific H cabin that I liked in the first place and be done with it. I think that booking guarantee cabins with HAL is certainly not a guarantee that you get a nice upgrade (although it does happen). Recently upgraded our gty booking to specific cabin....I just can't do the "wait and see"!

We were fine with the "guarantee roulette" in this case because at the time of booking this trip we were already booked on a very similar itinerary in May in a specific balcony cabin.

On that trip in May we were lucky with the weather and made great use of the balcony and were so glad we had it. (And none of our balcony neighbors smoked which was super!).

We just grabbed this one as an H guarantee due to price, home port convenience, etc and watched pricing until final payment since due to life stuff we weren't actually sure we would get to go.

We knew what we could end up with on this particular ship going guarantee on inside to outside sale and we were completely fine with it.

Also looks like we aren't going to have the lovely weather we did in May so the quick access to promenade will come in handy when we do want to zip outside for a look see.

Anne, I apologise if you mentioned this somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

What level of guarantee did you book? That would give us a better idea what to target as an upsell.

My favourite Zuiderdam budget cabins are the inside J cabins on Main deck/deck 1 - honourable mention to the K's on Main; and the midship H and G cabins (and one lone pair of D) on upper promenade deck/deck 4. I've not had noise issues in either spot.

I like the square plan of those insides, which makes the most of the square footage; plus the fact 225 square feet is unusually big for an inside.

As for the obstructed/partly obstructed cabins - floor to ceiling windows mean lots of light, even if an ORANGE lifeboat obstructs some of the view. Those cabins are identical in layout to a balcony cabin - just, without the balcony.

Edited by fann1sh

Anne, I apologise if you mentioned this somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

What level of guarantee did you book? That would give us a better idea what to target as an upsell.

My favourite Zuiderdam budget cabins are the inside J cabins on Main deck/deck 1 - honourable mention to the K's on Main; and the midship H and G cabins (and one lone pair of D) on upper promenade deck/deck 4. I've not had noise issues in either spot.

I like the square plan of those insides, which makes the most of the square footage; plus the fact 225 square feet is unusually big for an inside.

As for the obstructed/partly obstructed cabins - floor to ceiling windows mean lots of light, even if an ORANGE lifeboat obstructs some of the view. Those cabins are identical in layout to a balcony cabin - just, without the balcony.

We are inside category N in gty (I'm afraid about the Vista lounge noise issues). My TA talked about obstructed OV and I saw that you said H is a good option, I wil check it out. What about HH?

Yes, HH are fine, too. HAL's version of "fully obstructed" is not in fact FULLY obstructed: you'll get light, and at least a thin slice of view, in either HH or H.

Have you Googled "HAL Zuiderdam obstructed view cabin", and looked at images? Or, substitute the word(s) "Noordam", "Oosterdam", or "Westerdam" for "Zuiderdam". That should give you actual cabin pictures.

There's also a website that features actual HAL cabin photos, but we're not allowed to mention it by name or link it here.

Edited by fann1sh

We are inside category N in gty (I'm afraid about the Vista lounge noise issues). My TA talked about obstructed OV and I saw that you said H is a good option, I wil check it out. What about HH?

Just a note of encouragement...

I have ALWAYS booked an inside gty (which implies that you may be stuck in the awful Ns) but I have NEVER ended up being assigned to an N. I have always somehow landed in very nice locations. I don't think you really have any worries about actually being in an N -- I suspect that those are probably assigned to entertainers or other contract folks. JMO.

I have ALWAYS booked an inside gty (which implies that you may be stuck in the awful Ns) but I have NEVER ended up being assigned to an N. I have always somehow landed in very nice locations. I don't think you really have any worries about actually being in an N -- I suspect that those are probably assigned to entertainers or other contract folks. JMO.

Do you ever had a cabin on deck 1? How about the noise?

I did get assigned an n cabin once with a guarantee. I did book the cruise very late and it was very reasonably priced so I wasn't very surprised.

Do you ever had a cabin on deck 1? How about the noise?

Well, I only go on the S-class and R-class ships. I've not been on a Vista or Signature yet. So I really don't know about the pros or cons of deck 1 on those ships. FWIW, on the "little" ships I prefer the main deck, as on those ships there are NO public spaces either above or below, just staterooms.

I'll be boarding in 24 hours so I've gotta start packing now. Have a great cruise!

I am keeping track of this thread just because it is so exciting. Only booked one GUAR ever, for my mom and dad years ago for a gift cruise from us to Alaska. Just a balcony Guar and they ended with a big balcony VD on O-dam and loved it.

I hope Anne (spelled with an E, you LM Montgomery fans get me) gets a great cabin! :) /fingers crossed

Again, nothing this morning. My TA wants to know if I'm interested in specific categories... Do you recommand decks 1 and 4 on the Zuiderdam? I'm afraid about the noise...

We had 4117 on the Zuiderdam in June this year. It was obstructed view with a life boat and let in plenty of light. No problem with noise.

We have booked a guarantee HH on Oosterdam leaving in 28 days and will be very happy with deck 4.

Received an upsell offer... waiting to talk to my husband...

79 to go to obstructed pp

199 oceanview pp

299 verandah pp

What to do what to do

:confused::confused:

Either Obstructed or Verandah would be my choice depending on a lot of factors, mostly what the overall per diem would be based what I paid + the upsells.

Best wishes!