Deployment 2018-19 booking season begins

MADflyer

Ovation is going back to Australia end November 2017 via a re-positioning cruise which stops in Singapore. It only has one round trip Singapore sailing in 2018 April before it sails off to Tianjin.

Voyager is also going back to Australia as well in October.

Quantum will probably remain in China.

Now i'm worried Mariner will indeed go back to Europe. This means cutting capacity in Singapore.

Voyagers last sailing in China is October 2018. And both Quantum and Ovation have no sailings after November 2018. Will be interesting to see whether Royal is upgrading capacity in Singapore!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Voyager and Ovation will go back to Australia. (this may perhaps be the last time we'll see Ovation in China if Quantum 4 is coming in in 2019)

Quantum is a year-round Shanghai ship and her deployments are released a year at a time (unlike the rest of the fleet)

Ovation is going back to Australia end November 2017 via a re-positioning cruise which stops in Singapore. It only has one round trip Singapore sailing in 2018 April before it sails off to Tianjin.

Voyager is also going back to Australia as well in October.

Quantum will probably remain in China.

Now i'm worried Mariner will indeed go back to Europe. This means cutting capacity in Singapore.

Mariner is not going back to Europe.

We've seen it before. When Bermuda was not going to get their channel modifed to accommodate Quantum, it was sent to China and Liberty was sent to New Jersey.

We've seen it quiet a few times. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the Quantum "change" was announced before bookings went on sale.

Originally Quantum was meant for Bayonne and Anthem was meant for Ft. Lauderdale and Southampton

Yes, the Caribbean Princess could transit the entire Canal without any issues. By the way, the first cruise ship to use the new locks will be the Disney Wonder, one week from Friday.

"Similar mega-ships are expected to begin using the locks, including one post-Panamax vessel operated by Princess Cruises. USA Today reported that the cruise line's 118-foot-wide "Caribbean Princess" is scheduled to traverse the new locks on a voyage that launches in Oct 21, 2017.

"Caribbean Princess" is likely to be the first mega cruise ship to make use of the Panama Canal expansion. Disney Cruise Line has also scheduled voyages using the new locks for 2017, although its ship, the Disney Wonder, is not a post-Panamax vessel and can fit in the old locks.

The Celebrity Cruises, Holland America and Royal Caribbean cruise lines, which operate mega-ships, do not currently have plans to send them through the new locks, according to Travel Weekly. The expansion does not appear to be affecting the recreational travel industry nearly as much as it does commercial shipping."

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/24756/20160706/new-panama-canal-locks-open-caribbean-princess-will-first-cruise.htm

(Hope the web site came through showed on the preview!) :cool:

I love this site because I can see what ships will be inthe canal during the next few months!

sea cruise chat DOT com has a calendar of ships transiting the canal for the next few months.

"Caribbean Princess" is likely to be the first mega cruise ship to make use of the Panama Canal expansion. Disney Cruise Line has also scheduled voyages using the new locks for 2017, although its ship, the Disney Wonder, is not a post-Panamax vessel and can fit in the old locks.

As a result of recent additions to the Wonder she is no longer within the length limits to use the old locks, so she will have the privilege of being the first passenger ship to use the new locks. Slight correction, I did not calculate the date correctly, the Wonder will transit the Canal on April 29th. (Saturday).

Looks like the Caribbean Princess will be the first ship to use the new locks (that has not transited the Canal previously) and AFAIK the Carnival Splendor will be the first full transit. Think it is safe to say that many on this board would be pleased if Royal added a name to the reservation list!

As a result of recent additions to the Wonder she is no longer within the length limits to use the old locks, so she will have the privilege of being the first passenger ship to use the new locks. Slight correction, I did not calculate the date correctly, the Wonder will transit the Canal on April 29th. (Saturday).

Looks like the Caribbean Princess will be the first ship to use the new locks (that has not transited the Canal previously) and AFAIK the Carnival Splendor will be the first full transit. Think it is safe to say that many on this board would be pleased if Royal added a name to the reservation list!

I keep thinking that we will find Vision doing a canal transit when her changed itinerary becomes available.

I have been following this kind of thread for the last 3-4 years and am always amazed that the Australian and Singapore deployments are always delayed by a few weeks, Last year it was because of the deployment of Ovation of the Seas to Australia, the year before was the relocation of Legend to Brisbane, and the one before that I think it was Explorer moving to Sydney. Any guess what this years redeployment might be for the delay yet again of the Australian, Trans Pacific and Singapore could be?

Hey I don't know if it's just me but did you all realized they removed Ovation deployment and it's not currently on sale anymore?

Btw the China deployment of Quantum and Voyager is already out on sale.

What is going on with Ovation and Mariner and the people back at Miami?

Hey I don't know if it's just me but did you all realized they removed Ovation deployment and it's not currently on sale anymore?

Btw the China deployment of Quantum and Voyager is already out on sale.

What is going on with Ovation and Mariner and the people back at Miami?

Ovation redeployed to Alaska?

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Redeployed to Alaska? 🤞🏼

Is there another ship sailing Alaska if Ovation doesn't?

I think its more than a coincidence that both Ovation and Mariner are left unscheduled. Assuming that Mariner does stay in Singapore/China, it would seem likely that Ovation would be going back and forth between Australia and Singapore. I don't think they would cut down capacity in Singapore after Ovation did quite well this season. That means that Alaska is left out? hmmm...

Just read where AD is going for the delayed revitalization in Jan/Feb 2018 with cruises being cancelled. That really surprises me. I don't see any additional sailings between it's last SJU run (4/28-5/5) and its first run from NJ on 5/25. Am overlooking something or any "word" on that?

From a Sydney Newspaper.

Daily Telegraph.

In a major blow to the country’s fastest-growing tourism sector that will have major economic ramifications for NSW, cruise companies are bypassing our city in favour of Melbourne and Brisbane, New Zealand and even further afield in Asia ­because Sydney Harbour’s Overseas Passenger Terminal is at capacity.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the country’s second biggest cruise company Royal Caribbean Cruises will no longer send its 15-deck Voyager of the Seas ‘mini-city’ to Australia because of the issue. Instead the major cruiseliner will remain in Singapore and China for a year-round season.

It’s the first time in 10 years a major cruise operator has cut a service.

Managing director Adam Armstrong also said its 12-deck ship Radiance of the Seas will also no longer stop in Sydney, bypassing the Harbour City for Melbourne and New Zealand. “We’ve been talking about one day Sydney will be full. That day has come,” he said. “Sydney will lose 65,000 guests a year from Voyager of the Seas and around $32 million in passenger spend.”

Mr Armstrong said China and Singapore will benefit from having the Voyager in their markets rather than in Australia. “It’s extremely frustrating. There is no berthing solution in Sydney. In the interim, Singapore, Hong Kong and China have all built world-class terminals,” he said.

“Brisbane will have a solution ­before Sydney does.”

Cruising is Australia’s fastest growth tourism industry, worth $5 billion to the NSW economy and supporting 20,000 jobs. In 2015-16, there were 325 cruise ships visiting NSW.

Australia’s biggest cruise company, Carnival Australia, which represents seven cruise brands in the market, ­including P & O Cruises and Princess Cruises, is also struggling to berth in Sydney, with some ships moving to Brisbane and Melbourne. Carnival Legend will have 10 voyages from Melbourne in 2018 that could have been in Sydney.

Carnival Australia will base Queen Elizabeth in Australia for a record two months between February and April 2019 — it’s the longest time any of its current fleet of Queens have been in Australia. But, while the company’s preference was to set sail from Sydney, there were no berths available and, so for the first time, three of its cruises will be from Melbourne.

Carnival Australia executive chairman Ann Sherry said the city desperately needs new berthing capacity on the eastern side of the Harbour Bridge. “We are finding ourselves ­increasingly basing ships in other ­cities,” she said. “I will keep encouraging discussion at both a state and federal level. This is the last big piece of the tourism puzzle now we have agreement on the second airport and have rebuilt the convention and exhibition centre in Sydney.”

Ms Sherry said the best solution to the cruise-ship crisis was sharing ­access to Garden Island with the Royal Australian Navy. “We are nearing crunch point where we need to find a way to unblock the stalemate in Sydney Harbour and find a way of sharing the Garden Island ­facility between Navy and cruising for the benefit of Sydney,” she said.

Mr Armstrong said Royal Caribbean had helped fund cruise terminals in Miami, Fort Lauderdale in Barcelona, Hong Kong and Singapore — and was willing to throw potentially tens of millions of dollars to build a new cruise terminal in Botany Bay.”