Travel Insurance

philsr1939

Least expensive Insurance?

Silly question. Figure out what coverage you need before worrying about price. The least expensive insurance will probably be one that does not provide you the coverage you need.

With most purchases, you get what you pay for.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Thoughts....

• if you travel more than twice a year.... ask about an annual plan.
  • do you have a premium credit card... there may already be some coverage.
  • when I get a quote.... I ask for a second quote with the highest deductible. I don't plan to be using the insurance for trivial stuff. This can reduce your cost by HALF!

My major credit card, with which I purchased the cruise, has trip interruption insurance. I look to the extra trip insurance mostly for the medical emergency evacuation benefit. The sites linked in an earlier post will allow you to enter your info and compare quotes.

I just like to use a third party rather than that offered by the cruise line.

It appears to me that the emergency evacuation part of the insurance is pretty much fixed, its the actual value of the cruise fare itself that causes the rates to increase with the cost paid for the cruise. And it seems to go in steps. Try entering $2,000 then $2,001 and the price might jump.

Edited by cruzincurt

Try http://www.csatravelprotection.com

We found CSA on insuremytrip and validated them with BBB but bought direct in case we have a claim we will be working directly with the insurance provider/CSA. CSA is affordable for the same coverages---cruise cancellation and IN trip coverages (medical/dental, medivac, interruption, delays, baggage loss).

Depending on if you dont want both cancellation and in trip coverages, call and ask their advice.

SNIP

It appears to me that the emergency evacuation part of the insurance is pretty much fixed, its the actual value of the cruise fare itself that causes the rates to increase with the cost paid for the cruise. And it seems to go in steps. Try entering $2,000 then $2,001 and the price might jump.

Try http://www.csatravelprotection.com

We found CSA on insuremytrip and validated them with BBB but bought direct in case we have a claim we will be working directly with the insurance provider/CSA. CSA is affordable for the same coverages---cruise cancellation and IN trip coverages (medical/dental, medivac, interruption, delays, baggage loss).

Depending on if you dont want both cancellation and in trip coverages, call and ask their advice.

I don't think these statements are correct.

- Medical evacuation coverage varies widely depending on the policy. In recent shopping I saw some as low as $25,000 and as high as $1,000,000.

- Buying through a broker doesn't mean you can't deal directly with the insurance company's claims administrator. Some travelers like that the broker may assist you in the claims process if needed.

If all you want is medical evacuation an annual policy from a company with MedJet Assist (I have no experience with this company) is probably a better value than the comprehensive policies available through InsureMyTrip.

It all depends on how often one travels I guess. Now that we plan on two trips a year (land trip to Germany and a cruise) I should probably price those annual plans out.

Only problem with that is many people don't have $25k or more handy for a medical evacuation. I don't and that is the main reason that I get travel insurance along with the added medical coverage.

The OP asked for "cheapest". That's the correct answer - to the question asked.

Now, had they been a bit more detailed, or described the kind of coverage they wanted - that's a different question.

Too many times here at CC there's a completely incomplete question - and they deserve completely incomplete answers.

Now, had they been a bit more detailed, or described the kind of coverage they wanted - that's a different question.

Too many times here at CC there's a completely incomplete question - and they deserve completely incomplete answers.

Not true. I asked for the Least expensive Insurance?

Not true. I asked for the Least expensive Insurance?

least expensive is to self insure.

No upfront out of pocket expenses.

Unless you're from the UK or from Down Under, I'm not aware of any requirement to have travel insurance

Edited by klfrodo

People generally ask an incomplete question when they don't know what question to ask. You may certainly give them an incomplete answer if you choose to, but I choose to not do that. In any event self insuring looks like a good proposition, until one considers exactly what is being self insured which includes medical evacuation. You and klfrodo might have $25k (or more) sitting in an account somewhere that may be accessed at will but few others do.

I don't think these statements are correct.

- Medical evacuation coverage varies widely depending on the policy. In recent shopping I saw some as low as $25,000 and as high as $1,000,000.

- Buying through a broker doesn't mean you can't deal directly with the insurance company's claims administrator. Some travelers like that the broker may assist you in the claims process if needed.

I guess I worded my response poorly. My point was for a given company with a certain amount of emergency medical assist value (say $25K), that part seems to stay the same but the rest of the policy cost varies with the overall fare amount.

Appears to me that once I purchase the policy, I'm working direct with the company that issued the policy, not some third party website.

Take look at a claims form, appears they go back direct to the issuing company.

I've purchased a Nationwide policy the last 6 times. Thankfully, I've never had to file a claim. Came close due to missing luggage from the SS Norway explosion back in 2001. Then CSA wanted receipts for my lost socks and underwear (really???)....but the suitcases showed up 2 weeks later so I didn't file.

Edited by cruzincurt

WOW: Sorry I asked. That is not an incomplete question! .comYou need to Google (.comincomplete).BTW: I did buy Ins. Thanks for all of your input.

Sorry you feel you were bashed for an "incomplete" question. But, I'll say it was an overly general question. "least expensive" had many permutations based on many factors: what do you need covered, what do you want covered, how old you are, when are you buying. The "least expensive" would be either the self-insure route, hoping whatever insurance comes with the credit card you used to book the pieces of your trip (could be different coverage for air and cruise), or going to the mentioned insurance sites or a broker and just picking the one that costs the least money.

I hope you got the correct insurance to cover what you wanted/needed to cover from a company that works well to assist their clients. Having an insurance policy doesn't do much good if it takes years of hassles to get what you think you should get. Having an insurance policy doesn't do much good if you are in a foreign county and your hospital or rental company requires you to pay immediately and then you have to try to settle through your insurer...

I wish I had the funds to "self insure", but I don't have a spare hundred thousand laying around liquid (don't forget loss of income during a possible recovery time and all those bills and mortgage you have to pay...).

People generally ask an incomplete question when they don't know what question to ask. You may certainly give them an incomplete answer if you choose to, but I choose to not do that. In any event self insuring looks like a good proposition, until one considers exactly what is being self insured which includes medical evacuation. You and klfrodo might have $25k (or more) sitting in an account somewhere that may be accessed at will but few others do.

OP asked what is the least expensive travel insurance.

No other information provided, no other information asked.

Given that information, self insure is the least expensive option.

Now we all know about those who "assume".

Myself? I over insure probably.

My credit card has some coverage

My work provided health insurance does cover internationally

I still purchase travel insurance that waives pre exsisting conditions, low trip delay time, high max medical, and is considered primary.

I also have Medjet Assist