Embarkation Lunch MDR/Lido????

retdon

Are there any special dishes served in Lido on embarkation that are not served any other time? We usually eat in the MDR but have son and wife going this time and they have never cruised before. We thought they would enjoy the Lido lunch on embarkation... Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Linda

Nieuw Amsterdam 10/23 doing the doc dance, yea.....

The salad bar stays the same every day.

The hot dishes will vary but will be repeated throughout the cruise.

Desserts also repeat.

The Asian food changes daily -- but sushi will be the same each day.

Pizzas are pretty much the same every day.

Dive-In has the same offerings every day.

Our last couple of cruises the dining room was rarely open for lunch.

For probably something like our first four or five plus cruises we were living in the Washington, D.C. area and were cruising out of Ft Lauderdale. Our cruises were mostly in the January to March time frame and part of our motivation was to escape the cold and sometimes miserable winter weather. By that time we'd typically been house bound for three months, at least in the sense we weren't sitting out on our deck or patio enjoying warm sunny weather. Anyhow, with that in mind the last thing we wanted to do was board the ship and then eat in the MDR. We wanted to be outside on one of the decks, in the sun, and in the fresh air. Sure, maybe we missed out on a nicer meal but we loved being outside. Funny thing is that eating out on deck at boarding became our norm and habit and even after moving to a better climate and cruising at different times of the year we still eat out in deck if at all possible.

Edited by Randyk47

The salad bar stays the same every day.

The hot dishes will vary but will be repeated throughout the cruise.

Desserts also repeat.

The Asian food changes daily -- but sushi will be the same each day.

Pizzas are pretty much the same every day.

Dive-In has the same offerings every day.

Our last couple of cruises the dining room was rarely open for lunch.

Thanks KK, I thought I saw somewhere some time that fried chicken is only served on embarkation?? We stay away from Lido on embarkation, too crowded and like the quiet atmosphere of the MDR. Just looking for a smashing good time with first time cruisers, son and wife.

Thanks KK, I thought I saw somewhere some time that fried chicken is only served on embarkation?? We stay away from Lido on embarkation, too crowded and like the quiet atmosphere of the MDR. Just looking for a smashing good time with first time cruisers, son and wife.

They had Fried Chicken and Waffle in MDR on Embarkation day but I believe the menu has changed. IMO it wasn't anything I would do again. More like a couple of chicken tenders on a round Lido waffle- just barely warm.

For probably something like our first four or five plus cruises we were living in the Washington, D.C. area and were cruising out of Ft Lauderdale. Our cruises were mostly in the January to March time frame and part of our motivation was to escape the cold and sometimes miserable winter weather. By that time we'd typically been house bound for three months, at least in the sense we weren't sitting out on our deck or patio enjoying warm sunny weather. Anyhow, with that in mind the last thing we wanted to do was board the ship and then eat in the MDR. We wanted to be outside on one of the decks, in the sun, and in the fresh air. Sure, maybe we missed out on a nicer meal but we loved being outside. Funny thing is that eating out on deck at boarding became our norm and habit and even after moving to a better climate and cruising at different times of the year we still eat out in deck if at all possible.

We went to a few of the "Mariners only" embarkation lunches in the MDR (are they still doing them?), but like you, learned to appreciate an al fresco lunch. Now we seldom, if ever, eat lunch inside on any day while cruising.

Have seen fried chicken on other days.

Personally I love to have lunch outside on embarkation day. The MDR is more formal even for lunch so you can decide the 'tone' you want for the 1st meal for your son and his wife. Have fun!

To us - embarkation lunch in the MDR is so civilized. :) We find it a nice way to relax after a hustle-bustle morning. I sit back and let myself be pampered throughout the experience. Normally, by the time we're done with lunch the luggage has had time to show up in the cabin to be able to be unpacked before muster drill.

Most other days we take lunch from the lido out to the seaview pool area but on the first day we relax at the MDR.

Our "big embarkation day goal" is to be fed, unpacked and have an umbrella drink in hand before muster drill is called :D:D

Are there any special dishes served in Lido on embarkation that are not served any other time? We usually eat in the MDR but have son and wife going this time and they have never cruised before. We thought they would enjoy the Lido lunch on embarkation... Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

If it's their first cruise, everything in the Lido would be be and exciting and new to them! :D

Or are you asking more for your interest, since you usually eat in the MDR? :)

Edited by Boytjie

There was a recent thread on Mariner Embarkation Lunch. As Frank and Loren mentioned, sometimes it is not offered. On our July Westerdam cruise it was listed 12:30 to 1:30 in On Location. It was not well attended, service was very good and tablemates enjoyable. Although, no one checked status, it was listed as Mariner Lunch. Really not sure if is for everyone.

How do you all get on board earlier enough for lunch? Have done 3 HAL cruises and about to do our fourth (Noordam Honolulu-Sydney) and never got a boarding time that gets us on board in time for lunch.

Boarding usually starts around 11:30 am (it can be delayed on occasion). Are you referring is the 1 pm shown on the boarding pass? Other than that, we've never received a boarding time for HAL.

Boarding usually starts around 11:30 am (it can be delayed on occasion). Are you referring is the 1 pm shown on the boarding pass? Other than that, we've never received a boarding time for HAL.

Yes,when I get a boarding pass for a flight or a ship and its says boarding begins at a certain time I assume that is when boarding commences. Are cruise ship boarding times staggered and can you board "early" if you want? (starting to feel like a newbie again, thought I was past that:confused:)

Are cruise ship boarding times staggered and can you board "early" if you want?

HAL staggers the boarding based on when you arrive at the pier, not based on cabin category or deck (as some lines do).

Check-in generally begins at 11:00 AM, with boarding starting at 11:30. When you arrive or check in (that can vary a bit), you will be given a number. That's your boarding number---when it's called, you get in line to get on the ship.

Those in Neptune Suites and those who need assistance are boarded first, followed by the numbers called. By 12:30 (or so), most of that crowd has dissipated, and new arrivals breeze right through.