Chic Night Straw Poll

cruise101

Not planning on dressing up in formal wear on our cruise in 2 weeks time. I will be looking fabulous though. Love the dress code change. For everyone that misses "tradition" or fun of dressing up... throw a formal party at your house, go out on the town, or dress up on formal night on the ship, no one says you cannot.

It's not the same, if my DH and I are dressed up and the people next to us are in jeans and polo shirts. I liked seeing others dressed up and looking at men in their tuxes and ladies in their evening dresses.

We are not impressed with the nearly nil dress code. I miss the ambiance of the ship when everyone was formal.

Agree totally. It's sad to see a part of what made cruising so special has gone down the drain. The ambience around the ships has really changed and mostly not for the better.

Well, we are on the Reflection now. Our first 'dressier' evening is about to commence. DH has his tux and he says he will wear it and doesn't care how other people dress! As for me, it is a toss up as to whether it is a long or cocktail dress! I will report back with what we see later.

doesnt a suit shirt and tie take up the same amount of space as a dinner suit?.

I am not for a minute suggesting what other people should wear but we have never had any problem getting our luggage under the airline weight even with dh taking full highland rig. or tux.

Agreed. DH's suitcase, with tux, sport coat, several dress slacks, plus multiple shoes and daytime wear, has never weighed more than 42 pounds. Mine, with a dress for each night (usually 11-16), many shoes, many grooming items, etc., is always around 32 pounds.

We don't take jeans or sweatshirts, so maybe that's the difference.

It's not the same, if my DH and I are dressed up and the people next to us are in jeans and polo shirts. I liked seeing others dressed up and looking at men in their tuxes and ladies in their evening dresses.

I don't care one way or the other as to which dress code Celebrity wants to enforce. However if it's formal it should be consistent at least in the the MDR, Blu and Luminae. Specialty can remain a choice. Since they allowed 1/3 of the ship to be smart casual every night formal night would never be the same or close to what it was which is the reason for Evening Chic.

Long sleeve dress shirt and nice trousers for me. No ties, no suits - for me that's "work clothes". When I cruise I'm on vacation! I didn't feel out of place on recent Baltic cruise on Princess and I won't feel out of place on an upcoming 16 day Atlantic transit on the Reflection.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Too bad. You really look outstanding in your "icon".

After so many years of formal wear, we are glad it is no longer required. I just hope they enforce no shorts or t shirts and no ratty jeans.

Trust me! It's headed that way. The "perpetually" casually dressed will start to "test" the limits of slovenly style. It will become "accepted"(I/E Maître D's with no balls)then we will have a ship fit for the "Onslows" of the world & my partner & I will look elsewhere to find a bit more elegance. Probably back to Cunard.

Trust me! It's headed that way. The "perpetually" casually dressed will start to "test" the limits of slovenly style. It will become "accepted"(I/E Maître D's with no balls)then we will have a ship fit for the "Onslows" of the world & my partner & I will look elsewhere to find a bit more elegance. Probably back to Cunard.

On our Summit cruise to Bermuda 5/29-6/5 our tablemates came to dinner with shorts on at least twice. I think the gentelman came 3 times and the last evening they both looked like the just came from the beach.

No one did anything to stop them. I did complain and then also sent my complaint via snail mail to corporate.

I am not saying everyone needs to wear a tux but a nice pair slacks and a jacket - is that to much to ask for?

We might be right there with you looking elsewhere.

We're sailing in just over 2 weeks out of Shanghai on the millennium. Obviously we are flying out from the UK, but I still plan on packing two suits and a tux for my over half. One of the best bits of cruising is the opportunity to dress up, it's the only time he gets to wear his tux haha however I wouldn't judge people who don't want to dress up. As long as I don't see any beachwear or sportswear in the dining room im happy :)

I am not so bothered what people wear to chic night as long as they are smart but I do miss the special atmosphere of formal nights with the waiters in different uniforms and the entertainment staff all dressed up. There was such a special feeling round the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We'll be changing cruiselines if it resorts to what I call in Philly lingo "yahoo" style too. Normally, I'm a "live and let live" type of person. As I said previously, I don't care what the new dress code is, I will be continuing to "dress up."

I am so disappointed that even the downgrade to "evening chic" is not enforced either. Definition of "chic" :

adjective

1. elegantly and stylishly fashionable.

synonyms: stylish, elegant, sophisticated, dressy, smart;

noun

1. stylishness and elegance, typically of a specified kind.

Not sure if this link works, with images of evening chic from Google. Not quite some folks' interpretation:

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic&biw=1366&bih=638&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicyLyD66DPAhVKOyYKHT6MB_cQ_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=evening+chic

Recently sailed on the Summit - did not see any men in formal wear (tuxes) but saw some in suits - maybe 20%.

Sailing soon on Summit - DH will not be packing formal wear but will pack dress slacks, shirts and ties for 2 nights. Other nights, we're going casual.

We sail on Summit in a little over a week from today. I plan to bring the same.. dress pants and button down shirts (no ties) for DH....I do not dress like "Onslow" going anywhere ..but I don't need a tuxedo or an evening gown to feel properly attired (like Hyacinth). For those who enjoy dressing formally...go for it....for those who don't ....just show up in clothes you would wear to a restaurant that doesn't serve fast food!

On our Summit cruise to Bermuda 5/29-6/5 our tablemates came to dinner with shorts on at least twice. I think the gentelman came 3 times and the last evening they both looked like the just came from the beach.

No one did anything to stop them. I did complain and then also sent my complaint via snail mail to corporate.

I am not saying everyone needs to wear a tux but a nice pair slacks and a jacket - is that to much to ask for?

I'm more "ballsy" than most & would have politely asked them to change. If that failed we certainly would not be sitting with them at dinner again. For those who wish to call me a snob, go ahead! I just feel that pax should dress per the evening's dress codes. This is one reason we choose to dine at a table for 2.

We sail on Summit in a little over a week from today. I plan to bring the same.. dress pants and button down shirts (no ties) for DH....I do not dress like "Onslow" going anywhere ..but I don't need a tuxedo or an evening gown to feel properly attired (like Hyacinth). For those who enjoy dressing formally...go for it....for those who don't ....just show up in clothes you would wear to a restaurant that doesn't serve fast food!

I'm fine with that. It's the incredible slobs I saw on the Regal Princess the first week of our 14 day B 2 B.(Feb.2016) The first week was Super bowl week. I'm sorry, I thought I was at a Trailer Trash Jamboree at the "dollar" store! On the second week pax were dressed as one would expect..Smart casual for the most part & quite a few formal on formal night(Princess, not Celebrity)I was on the Celebrity Eclipse during Super Bowl week in 2014. The pax looked NOTHING like that!

I am one who also is in favour of the dress code and spend many nights at sea in shorts but wouldn't go to the MDR unless dressed in long trousers and collared shirt which is the minimum standard requested. If I saw an adult in the MDR in shorts I would be kicking the MDR's backside in public and asking to see the Hotel Director if something wasnt done.

I am one who also is in favour of the dress code and spend many nights at sea in shorts but wouldn't go to the MDR unless dressed in long trousers and collared shirt which is the minimum standard requested. If I saw an adult in the MDR in shorts I would be kicking the MDR's backside in public and asking to see the Hotel Director if something wasnt done.

We were on the same page until your last sentence....I agree that an adult in the MDR in shorts is inappropriate, but to actively do something to publicly humiliate another human being is just wrong.

We were on the same page until your last sentence....I agree that an adult in the MDR in shorts is inappropriate, but to actively do something to publicly humiliate another human being is just wrong.

I was talking metaphorically about kicking the Maitre D's backside. It is his/her job to maintain standards if he/she cant do that then he/she needs to be advised who is paying his/her way. After all every passenger on board is paying the Maitre D in the MDR over $US3 per day in gratuities.

Our last cruise (April 2016) was a 16-Night Western Europe Transatlantic with 3 'Evening Chic' events. Sport jackets for the men seemed to be the new standard. Leaving the suit, tux and gowns with all the required accessories at home lightened our luggage!

An update on evening chic two nights ago on the Reflection. Lots of men wearing a tux and lots of ladies in long gowns. Cocktail dresses and men in suits also and only a few men without jackets. This was in the martini bar and MDR.

Any comments on the number of black tie and long evening gowns on a Solstice cruise of New Zealand would be very welcome please.

An update on evening chic two nights ago on the Reflection. Lots of men wearing a tux and lots of ladies in long gowns. Cocktail dresses and men in suits also and only a few men without jackets. This was in the martini bar and MDR.

Any comments on the number of black tie and long evening gowns on a Solstice cruise of New Zealand would be very welcome please.

Wow, thanks for the update. Happy to hear it! People are not lowering their standards, even if Celebrity is!

Bingo. Sadly it's the entitlement attitude...My vacation I will wear what I want. I have to dress up for work, I am not dressing up on vacation....etc

If he had dressed appropriately in the first place.....

We were on the same page until your last sentence....I agree that an adult in the MDR in shorts is inappropriate, but to actively do something to publicly humiliate another human being is just wrong.[/QUOTE]

If there were enough people who wanted to wear tuxes to fill the boat, there wouldn't be a need to relax the dress codes. The market is changing and Celebrity has to adapt or not fill boats.

The standard canned answer for any complaint (no matter how legitimate) about cruising is "maybe _ insert cruise line here_/cruising isn't for you" should apply here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bingo. Sadly it's the entitlement attitude...My vacation I will wear what I want. I have to dress up for work, I am not dressing up on vacation....etc

You are absolutely right....it is an entitlement issue: You are entitled to wear a tux and/or gown to dinner and I an entitled to wear black jeans and a dressy top! I do subscribe to the policy that I had to dress up for work (I did) because someone was paying me to wear a certain type of clothing. When I am on vacation I am the one paying and I should not feel constrained to wear clothing I am uncomfortable in....and of course, you are entitled to disagree. :D

For the record I do not and would not ever wear shorts to dinner in the MDR unless all of my clothes were somehow destroyed and I had nothing else to wear!

Edited by Hydrokitty