Chic Night Straw Poll

cruise101

If there were enough people who wanted to wear tuxes to fill the boat, there wouldn't be a need to relax the dress codes. The market is changing and Celebrity has to adapt or not fill boats.

The standard canned answer for any complaint (no matter how legitimate) about cruising is "maybe _ insert cruise line here_/cruising isn't for you" should apply here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Obviously you haven't been on Celebrity or you would know that it was never necessary to wear a tux. Even in the very early days of the cruise line a suit was fine. As times changed a sport coat was acceptable. Evening Chic is a farce, but it fits right in with many of the other downgrades in the Celebrity product. It is what it is and we have to accept it, but we don't have to like it.

You are absolutely right....it is an entitlement issue: You are entitled to wear a tux and/or gown to dinner and I an entitled to wear black jeans and a dressy top! I do subscribe to the policy that I had to dress up for work (I did) because someone was paying me to wear a certain type of clothing. When I am on vacation I am the one paying and I should not feel constrained to wear clothing I am uncomfortable in....and of course, you are entitled to disagree. :D

For the record I do not and would not ever wear shorts to dinner in the MDR unless all of my clothes were somehow destroyed and I had nothing else to wear!

I wouldn't mind black jeans and a dressy top, that would be a big improvement on many people we saw in the MDR on Evening Chic. Another problem with smart casual as most poeple just focus on the word casual. I am waiting for them to start walking in with those pajama pants, you know the ones the teenagers wear (do they still wear them?) and t-shirts/sweatshirts. Believe me if it hasn't already happened, it will.

Obviously you haven't been on Celebrity or you would know that it was never necessary to wear a tux. Even in the very early days of the cruise line a suit was fine. As times changed a sport coat was acceptable. Evening Chic is a farce, but it fits right in with many of the other downgrades in the Celebrity product. It is what it is and we have to accept it, but we don't have to like it.

And your opinion is now in the minority or the dress codes wouldn't change. I will wear gray pants and a polo shirt. Unless someone else is paying part of or all of my cruise fare, what I choose to wear is between myself and celebrity.

I wouldn't mind black jeans and a dressy top, that would be a big improvement on many people we saw in the MDR on Evening Chic. Another problem with smart casual as most poeple just focus on the word casual. I am waiting for them to start walking in with those pajama pants, you know the ones the teenagers wear (do they still wear them?) and t-shirts/sweatshirts. Believe me if it hasn't already happened, it will.

Smart casual, like country club casual (river cruise term) are terms that mean different things to different people depending on where they live. I think some of the problem has to do with the airlines charging so much for checked and over-weight bags. Luggage can now easily add $100 to your plane ticket, each way, and if people can avoid that by leaving the suit/shirt/gown/ dress shoes, etc. home they will. As for the pajama bottoms...I don't know about teens wearing them but I see plenty of 30, 40, 50 somethings wearing them in the supermarket all the time....mostly on people who shouldn't wear them outside of their bedroom!! :D

And your opinion is now in the minority or the dress codes wouldn't change. I will wear gray pants and a polo shirt. Unless someone else is paying part of or all of my cruise fare, what I choose to wear is between myself and celebrity.

That's true, it's between you and Celebrity. I think you will find that very short cruises and cruises to Bermuda are not indicative of what happens on other cruises. Personally, I couldn't care less what anyone wears. People are "entitled" to look the way they like and someone else's lack of good taste isn't going to bother me.

You are absolutely right....it is an entitlement issue: You are entitled to wear a tux and/or gown to dinner and I an entitled to wear black jeans and a dressy top! I do subscribe to the policy that I had to dress up for work (I did) because someone was paying me to wear a certain type of clothing. When I am on vacation I am the one paying and I should not feel constrained to wear clothing I am uncomfortable in....and of course, you are entitled to disagree. :D

For the record I do not and would not ever wear shorts to dinner in the MDR unless all of my clothes were somehow destroyed and I had nothing else to wear!

What in the heck is a dressy top?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

What in the heck is a dressy top?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Well, I have several depending on the length of the cruise. One is a white lace blouse with short sleeves; One is a black gauze blouse with long sleeves and the other is a white and gray crocheted sweater. I'm going out on a limb here, but now that you know, you can impress the heck out of your female friends!! :D

Smart casual every night in Blu! My husband took a jacket on our last cruise but probably won't again....packing it to wear one night out of a cruise is not worth the effort in our opinion. On our Panama cruise on Infinity we saw a few tuxes and suits but not a lot of them. We dress pretty casual in "real life" and enjoy not having to take extra luggage to accommodate 1 or 2 nights of wearing something for a couple hours.

Smart casual every night in Blu! My husband took a jacket on our last cruise but probably won't again....packing it to wear one night out of a cruise is not worth the effort in our opinion. On our Panama cruise on Infinity we saw a few tuxes and suits but not a lot of them. We dress pretty casual in "real life" and enjoy not having to take extra luggage to accommodate 1 or 2 nights of wearing something for a couple hours.

We were on Infinity Panama Canal celebrating our 50th anniversary....for that I brought a traditional Hawaiian wedding dress but for every other cruise we do as you do, except DH already abandoned the jacket! With the luggage costs being what they are it can cost a lot just to dress to impress people you'll never see again.

For up coming cruise my hubby will leave his tux at home. He does not plan on taking a sport jacket either. I on the other hand have a few casual dresses I plan to take but they are by no mean dressy or at least I don't think so. Others might feel they are. Vacation for us is all about relaxing. We play dress up enough at home.

As always happy cruising.

If there were enough people who wanted to wear tuxes to fill the boat, there wouldn't be a need to relax the dress codes. The market is changing and Celebrity has to adapt or not fill boats.

The standard canned answer for any complaint (no matter how legitimate) about cruising is "maybe _ insert cruise line here_/cruising isn't for you" should apply here as well.

Fortunately some cruise lines can fill ships with peoiple more than happy to dress approprately for formal night and fill the quite early too. Something Celebrity seems to be finding more difficult. But the downsizing in dress is only part of their downsizing as far as I can see on here.

Glad to say only one cruise booked with them, then back to good lines.

Must admit I never wore a tux anyway simply because I don't like them but always wore a suit and still do on chic night, why because I want to and to be honest on our last cruise in March on the Millenium 60 to 70% of my fellow male passenger were still waring suits some with ties some without but you know what, I dress as I like and I could not give a monkeys what others are wareing as long as there happy and enjoying themselves that's fine by me.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

We sailed last year on the Summit. About half, including my husband, wore suits / dinner jackets. Right after dinner, many couples changed to chic clothes to be more comfortable outside or in the night club. So the next time (Infinity, November '16), we're not dressing way up and saving the luggage space. We'll just eat in Blu, so there....

Just got of the Relfection and there were a lot of dinner jackets ( tux) being worn, but it didn't have the 'formal feel' of a true formal night. - shame.

I thought it looked a bit sad. There would be beautifully dressed women, who had obviously thought carefully about what they were going to wear...accompanied by a man in a miss- matched shirt, tie and jacket. :(

At least you can't go wrong with a DJ ( Tux)

We ate in Murano on one formal night, hubby in a DJ and me trying to look my best and it made it feel extra special!

Tux will come with us when we sail in January. No rules against it

Don't expect others to follow suit (no pun intended) however really hope standards don't drop further, friend currently on an RC cruise posted a pic of a man (I think) in a zebra onesie last night - no it wasn't fancy dress party :eek:

Must admit I never wore a tux anyway simply because I don't like them but always wore a suit and still do on chic night, why because I want to and to be honest on our last cruise in March on the Millenium 60 to 70% of my fellow male passenger were still waring suits some with ties some without but you know what, I dress as I like and I could not give a monkeys what others are wareing as long as there happy and enjoying themselves that's fine by me.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Forums mobile app

That's what living in a free society is supposed to be....so long as you are decently attired...meaning no shorts, no bikini tops and no wife-beater or tee shirts.

That comment must have been posted from a male of the species :D. Every woman has a dressy top ;).

LOL....that's what I thought too. :D

On our Equinox TA in April, at least half of the men wore tuxes, suits or sportcoats on the Gala nights, with the women similarly dressed up. This was the case all evening, in all the public venues apart from the pools and hot tubs. Two of the men at our table packed four different tuxedos.

We last were on X in 2006, did a few Oceania since then and prefer the general country club casual now. For our Alaska trip next June, we won't be bringing the fancy stuff... Also spending a week with family before the cruise so less to pack is better for us. Times have changed and we do remember "dressing" just to fly somewhere. I don't really give a hoot what others wear, I assume they won't care what we wear. If they do, it won't bother me much. I'd be happy with just room service to avoid having to carry extra clothes on a 12 day vacation. If we can be out with others and comfortable, that's even better...

I'd like to know who all these men are that can't roll their suitcases long enough to get to where they're going. I'm a 72 year old woman and I have no problem handling a 50 lb suitcase or even two. Come on, just stop making excuses and own it. No one cares what you do.

I'd like to know who all these men are that can't roll their suitcases long enough to get to where they're going. I'm a 72 year old woman and I have no problem handling a 50 lb suitcase or even two. Come on, just stop making excuses and own it. No one cares what you do.

I am very happy you are able to handle your own suitcases. Unfortunately, not everyone has been blessed with excellent health. I was in great health until a medical doctor "botched" a "minor" surgical procedure and put me in the ICU for 7 months followed by 2 months in a rehab hospital and then 8 more months of outpatient therapy. All this to learn how to walk, eat, etc. This event left me disabled and unable to continue working. Trust me, I would rather be able to handle 50 lb suitcases and work than be disabled. Saying that, I take what I want and dress how I want. Number of suitcases and weight does not enter into my decisions. Just my opinion and no offense to anyone. By the way, I am a male.

Agree thread belongs with dress code ...has turned sour!

BTW: Anyone who comes into the awful berth in FLL where Silhouette docks and wants to walk off...has to roll and carry their luggage a very long way..very poor set up there..

I don't think a mans tux jacket and pair of slacks is going to add more that two pounds to anyones luggage. It's just an excuse. Lets just drop the luggage argument. It doesn't carry any weight. No pun meant. You more than likely will end up carrying more causal clothes adding more weight. My guess is a pair of jeans adds perhaps more weight than a pair of tux pants. The fabric is more dense. Let's keep this alive until we get a change of CEO's or hope for a return to tradition.