Chic Night Straw Poll

cruise101

I think a lot depends on the destination. I'm on my first X cruise on Reflection TA in October. I plan to bring a suit for a few nights and a jacket for other nights as well. I am comfortable in a suit and enjoy it from time to time. This may well be my only TA experience and I'm planning on making it as memorable as possible.

Took suit to Baltics in May 2015. Took a suit on HAL Alaska in May 2016 because with folks that planned to dress up. If it were a Caribbean cruise I would not bring a suit or jacket.

I completely agree with poster who said airline luggage regulations make a difference.

My 22 year old Grandson is beyond THRILLED to be able to leave the suit, ties, dress shirts and dress shoes behind on our next Celebrity cruise. He's a tall guy and it takes up so much room in his luggage (and weight). For our next cruise he will be carrying dress slacks and shirt and casual loafers. We went on our first Med cruise a few years ago and decided that with our pre and post cruise stays in Europe, even if there were no airline restrictions, lugging around extra luggage or the extra weight in order to look like we were on the red carpet on formal nights was ridiculous. We would have been carrying two gowns and all that goes with it. We opted to carry a LBD and dress slack and a top that could all do double duty. It worked SO well, we haven't looked back.

DH has no intention of bringing either his tux or any of his suits on our upcoming Southern Caribbean cruise. I'll happily leave my gowns at home. He is quite content to pack a blazer and sport jacket, dress pants and shirts. I'll limit myself to a couple of cocktail dresses, evening slacks, and a few dressy tops for the chic nights. As long as our fellow cruisers refrain from shorts and t-shirts in the MDR in the evening, we really don't care what they wear. Luggage limitations aren't a factor for us, but comfort is.

Nothing has changed for us, even though the policy has changed. We still pack DH's dark suit and jacket and ties; I still pack my long dresses, cocktail dresses and bling. Hubs only packs his tux when we do not require a flight and can drive to a port.

I took notice in March on the Equinox that most looked what I would call "elegant". Both men and women. A small percentage of tuxes and a small percentage of men without jackets. I would say almost everyone looked "chic."

Sailing the Eclipse in December and I'll be packing the same way! :)

I'm thrilled about this change. I was nervous when considering booking my cruise if I had to bring my suit or tux. I went and read the policy and booked that night.

I hate dressing up, but am fine with slacks/designer jeans, a nice button down and dress shoes. I find it much more comfortable and it's nice not taking up a ton of space in the suitcase.

Now if they will just allow nice khaki shorts and a polo on every night but chic night(s) I will be extremely happy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

On our Reflection cruise in August, fewer than 10% wore tuxes and I would say that 25% wore suits. Another 25% wore jackets and dress shirt. They were stopping people at the door who were dressed in shorts, not just Chic night but every night (except maybe the first night).

They did not stop pax in shorts into the MDR on Connie in August - saw several on various nights.

Right after I bought a new tux, shirts and shoes, Celebrity announced the end of formal nights. My formal attire was used on one cruise but has stayed at home for the last six cruises. I just wish celebrity had made the announcement before I purchased the wrong cruise garb.

I am the same. I bought a new kilt, Jacket etc and only used it on one cruise. Now I bring a couple of Jackets but no suits.

We are just back from our cruise on Silhouette Western Med and although my husband did take his DJ and did wear it on the first two chic nights .By the last chic night he wore his light linen jacket.

I think this was the norm on our three chic nights that the men decided to go more casual by the end of the cruise.

Scotslizzy

we are heading off on our first Celebrity Cruise in November out of Sydney to New Zealand.

hubby does not own a Tux...but is more than happy to bring his suit for Chic nights. we don't often get to places that require us to dress up much so actually look forward to it.

I am still considering whether or not to pack a long gown, but do love a reason to dress up...

cheers

Belinda

In the past few months we sailed with the Millennium in Alaska and the Silhouette in Europe, very few in any kind of formal wear on either trip. Sailing on the Millennium again in March and not planning on bringing formal where. With all of the airline baggage fees and limits it is just easier to bring a few pairs of slacks and a pile of nice shirts. Packing my tux and the accessories would use up a good 4 pounds of my 50 pound allowance.

Right after I bought a new tux, shirts and shoes, Celebrity announced the end of formal nights. My formal attire was used on one cruise but has stayed at home for the last six cruises. I just wish celebrity had made the announcement before I purchased the wrong cruise garb.

I'm just the same; avoided buying a DJ on my first cruise, being in Blu. Surprised myself by enjoying dressing up, so bought a DJ for the next cruise, not in Blu. Then Celebrity changed policy. I think I'd probably take a DJ for ex-Southampton cruises, but not the Med, where dress is less formal.

Stuart

doesnt a suit shirt and tie take up the same amount of space as a dinner suit?.

I am not for a minute suggesting what other people should wear but we have never had any problem getting our luggage under the airline weight even with dh taking full highland rig. or tux.

First Chic night last night on our ex Southampton Eclipse cruise. Saw just a handful of Tuxs, lots of suits, some trousers shirt and ties and just a very few more casual than that. The ladies all seemed to make an effort. Didn't note any jeans or t shirts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sailing to Bermuda in May. I was going to buy a new suit but now I have decided to purchase some nice stylish dress shirts that I can wear to other occasions at home. I really didn't mind dressing up however with the new suite dining room, Blu, and specialty restaurants all being smart casual everyday I don't see the need to limit formal night just to those who eat in the MDR. I think that Celebrity made the right decision by creating Chic night.

Given the relatively recent introduction of chic nights on X, I thought it'd be interesting to conduct a straw poll amongst those who have recently sailed (i.e. after the introduction of chic nights) and those who are planning to sail within the next 6 months.

If you have recently sailed, what percentage of men do you think wore formal (tux or dark suit) on chic nights. If you are planning on sailing within the next 6 months, are you planning on packing a tux/dark suit.

Your observations/intentions will help me with my packing decision.

Thanks.

Summit/Bermuda .... I cannot remember seeing anyone in a tux.

We used to do the whole nine yards on formal nights when cruising.

However, we loved driving to Bayonne, one suitcase each, easy disembarkation, and not even taking half the amount of clothes that we normally did.

doesnt a suit shirt and tie take up the same amount of space as a dinner suit?.

I am not for a minute suggesting what other people should wear but we have never had any problem getting our luggage under the airline weight even with dh taking full highland rig. or tux.

Hi scotslass

We are on the same cruise as yourselves .Seems we are thinking the same as husband is set on taking his Dinner suit....Won't complain as he then cannot complain about the weight of my suitcase LOL

Irene (yes another Irene)

My DH finally broke down and bought a new tux shirt 2 weeks before they announced Evening Chic.

He has worn his tux on both our cruises since they announced the change. there were more men in suits/tuxes on our recent Canada/New England cruise then our Bermuda cruise.

We were on Equinox in the Eastern Med earlier this month. Saw a handful of tuxs, one kilt and a lot of men in suits mostly without ties. Ladies were wearing cocktail dresses or sparkly tops with pants - I didn't see one long gown. I also didn't see anyone wearing jeans on Chic night - designer or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for posting this!

I'll be on Silhouette in December. I was going to pack my Sport Coat, always wear dress slacks. After reading comments though, I think that I am definitely not going to bring the Sport Coat any longer. I will continue with dress slacks and will probably favor solid color Tommy Bahama shirts and golf polos.

I think the only reason I would bring a suit in the future if there was an event and folks wanted to take photographs.

Kevin

7 nights. I'm not packing 2 outfits for every day so I can wear shorts off the boat and pants in the dining room. If the anti shorts in the dining room crowd are offended by my funky pants, that's their tough luck. I'll wear the same pants to the dining room multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you wear shorts in the MDR at night, you'll probably get stopped. When I meant by funky, was not the style, but the fact they may get soiled etc. I wish Celebrity would allow self launderettes like on most other lines. I'll be damned if I have to pay an outrageous sum to have my clothes laundered for me. It's why I do bring plenty for a 14 day cruise.

Since the dress code change we have sailed once (Caribbean) and are leaving in 2 weeks on Summit Canada-New England.

1. I did not bring a cocktail dress and DH did not bring a tuxedo or suit on Caribbean....saw maybe a handful in MDR...and do not intend to bring one on Canada cruise.

I bring a pair of black dress jeans and a gauzy white top and he wears dark Docker type pants with a button down shirt (no tie). I feel comfortable and in sync with majority of other passengers. I would never wear shorts in the MDR and I support the no shorts policy....otherwise I am thrilled that they changed from formal nights to "chic" nights. :D