Chic Night Straw Poll

cruise101

On the summit in February and will be packing my dinner jacket with formal shirt and tux pants. I almost always wear a blazer and open neck shirt for dinner. I don't wear shorts to go to dinner at home so why on a ship? I really don't care what any one else wears except for men wearing their hats at the table. Being a retired Army officer I learned that the only time you wear a hat inside is when you are carrying a firearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got off the Infinity yesterday and we were in Lumanie. Did not see any suits, maybe a sports coat and no formal dresses.

Just an added comment, that dining experience was the nicest and best service I have ever had on a cruise, and that includes Crystal, Seabourn, Regent, etc. Totally lovely.

Sailing in October and will not be taking a suit or sport coat, I love casual attire I live in Florida and I believe in shorts and a golf shirt is more than dressy enough for a cruise. NCL allows shorts in dining rooms and all but1 speciality restaurant. My vote is no dress up, dress like you would to go yo dinner at a restaurant, if you want to go all out its your choice not msny on last cruise a few months ago were wearing a tux some coats but not msny ties.

When X become NCL - time to change cruise lines.

Since the dress code change we have sailed once (Caribbean) and are leaving in 2 weeks on Summit Canada-New England.

1. I did not bring a cocktail dress and DH did not bring a tuxedo or suit on Caribbean....saw maybe a handful in MDR...and do not intend to bring one on Canada cruise.

I bring a pair of black dress jeans and a gauzy white top and he wears dark Docker type pants with a button down shirt (no tie). I feel comfortable and in sync with majority of other passengers. I would never wear shorts in the MDR and I support the no shorts policy....otherwise I am thrilled that they changed from formal nights to "chic" nights. :D

What is dress jeans? since when jeans are in a dressy clothes category?:eek:

10 nights on Equinox last spring, in a suite, so dined in Luminae most nights. On Evening Chic nights, there were a handful of tuxes (less than 10%), more than that in dark suits with ties (10-15%) a fair number of men with jackets and open collar shirts and the rest in open collar shirts with nice trousers. I would guesstimate that 75-80% of the men fell into the last two categories. As for the women, as has been previously reported, the great majority wore nice slacks/skirt and dressy top or a dressy style sundress. We saw very few women in long dresses but did see a fair number of true cocktail dresses. By that I mean strapless or slinky fabric with some detailed trim or beadwork and appropriate jewelry.

If you wear shorts in the MDR at night, you'll probably get stopped. When I meant by funky, was not the style, but the fact they may get soiled etc. I wish Celebrity would allow self launderettes like on most other lines. I'll be damned if I have to pay an outrageous sum to have my clothes laundered for me. It's why I do bring plenty for a 14 day cruise.

I think the gentleman is planning to wear shorts during the day and wear long pants for a few hours in the evening for dinner in the MDR. If he spills, there is laundry service.

We are not impressed with the nearly nil dress code. I miss the ambiance of the ship when everyone was formal.

I loved getting dressed up and this was about the only time I could put on a gown. Everyone looked so nice in their formal clothes. I read somewhere that clothes affect people's behavior and I do notice a difference when formal clothes were worn.

Not planning on dressing up in formal wear on our cruise in 2 weeks time. I will be looking fabulous though. Love the dress code change. For everyone that misses "tradition" or fun of dressing up... throw a formal party at your house, go out on the town, or dress up on formal night on the ship, no one says you cannot.

Alaskan cruise in May had a pretty low percentage in formal dress. I'd guess about 2% of the male passengers and more like 5-6% of the female passengers. Doing 10-day Caribbean in Feb and expect even less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is dress jeans? since when jeans are in a dressy clothes category?:eek:

ox·y·mo·ron

ˌäksəˈmôrˌän/

noun

a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g., faith unfaithful kept him falsely true ).

We'll be on the Reflection next May, and we will be taking our formal stuff! I usually take one long gown and one short, fun cocktail dress, and my husband brings a tux with a couple shirts and vest options. Way easier for him as one tux and one pair of black dress shoes takes care of two dinners. I'm kind of disappointed in the change to Evening Chic - whatever that really means.

I've never gotten the argument formal clothing takes up more space/weight in the luggage - you have to wear something!

Long sleeve dress shirt and nice trousers for me. No ties, no suits - for me that's "work clothes". When I cruise I'm on vacation! I didn't feel out of place on recent Baltic cruise on Princess and I won't feel out of place on an upcoming 16 day Atlantic transit on the Reflection.

what percentage of men do you think wore formal (tux or dark suit) on chic nights.

A dark suit is NOT formal.

On our cruises since formal nights were eliminated, there were very few men still in tuxes or dinner jackets. As you can see from some reasonable comments here, some were unaware of the more casual dress requirements, so they still packed as in the past. By the next chic night, they get with the program for more casual attire. In the future, I expect to see less and less formal wear on Celebrity.

Zero plans for formal wear on our next cruise!

As for comments that CLAIM 60% in sport coat and above (10% + 25% + 25%) or "most" in suit, etc., sure! Zero credibility. The OP will soon discover the value or accuracy of such comments! :rolleyes:

A dark suit is NOT formal.

On our cruises since formal nights were eliminated, there were very few men still in tuxes or dinner jackets. As you can see from some reasonable comments here, some were unaware of the more casual dress requirements, so they still packed as in the past. By the next chic night, they get with the program for more casual attire. In the future, I expect to see less and less formal wear on Celebrity.

Zero plans for formal wear on our next cruise!

As for comments that CLAIM 60% in sport coat and above (10% + 25% + 25%) or "most" in suit, etc., sure! Zero credibility. The OP will soon discover the value or accuracy of such comments! :rolleyes:

A suit was formal according to Celebrity's definition before they eliminated them. I do agree though that it is not the traditional definition of formal

In the future, I expect to see less and less formal wear on Celebrity.

Think it's happening now, the future has already arrived if our summer Connie sailing is an example. I'm not bothered either way what pax wear, however you're probably correct about the breakdown, there were very few men in suits - most wore just trousers and shirts. And as I mentioned previously, more than 1 person in shorts (both sexes) and they were allowed in the MDR ;).

Just got off a Reflection med cruise. About 50% of the passengers were British so it was noticeable that there were a lot of dinner jackets being worn on chic night.

In fact a lot more than on last years autumns Silhouette cruse when fewer were worn on the then 'formal night' ( 80% american on that boat)

I think the Brits prefer to dress up..as we never get a chance to at home lol