can you put limits on accts of minors

4spring

16 year old will be traveling with us & when we have cruised Carnival, we could limit the amount he could charge to acct each day. Is that a possibility with RCI? If so, how? did not see anything when setting up the set sea pass.

thanks.

16 year old will be traveling with us & when we have cruised Carnival, we could limit the amount he could charge to acct each day. Is that a possibility with RCI? If so, how? did not see anything when setting up the set sea pass.

thanks.

Yes. Just go to Guest Services the day you board the ship.

:eek: That could be a nightmare!!!:eek:

It was a nightmare for us, and Guest Services would only refund half of the charges, that were noticed on the 3rd day. They said parents have to be in charge of their kids spending on video games. Ha!

One thing to keep in mind is past reports have said that the Challenger's Arcade doesn't obey any limit set on the card. Not sure if that has been fixed or not

Not just that they don't follow a spending limit. But even if you have stated NO charging on the minor's card, the arcade machine will still charge to the minor's card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not just that they don't follow a spending limit. But even if you have stated NO charging on the minor's card, the arcade machine will still charge to the minor's card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My child doesn't care for video games, but this is policy I just cannot understand. To me is a straight up cash grab. If there is a limit set or no charges at all, then I expect that is what the cruise line should honor.

The parents play the most important role in setting out rules for their children, but the Royal is not supportive with this policy.

By the time they are 16 they are certainly old enough to understand that anything they charge will totally be their responsibility. See how frugal they become.

Exactly. My kids get charging privledges around the age of 10. They know their limits, if they go over they will pay me back AND face a punishment. Not once have any of them reached their limits.

thanks.

It's either on or off. They do not impose limits, daily or otherwise unless you make it a cash account. That would be turned off once they spend $500. Even a card that has no charging privileges still works in the arcade.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

thanks.

Yes, we have four boys. We go to guest services and put set amount on it. When it is gone, they have no more to spend...

It's either on or off. They do not impose limits, daily or otherwise unless you make it a cash account. That would be turned off once they spend $500. Even a card that has no charging privileges still works in the arcade.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They have set limits each time we have asked them to, on RCCL.. And NO, the cards will not work at the arcade if they are shut off. I KNOW this for as fact!

Tigerlady or anyone who knows, do the accounts need to be set up as cash accounts in order to set a limit? Do you know, if it's an adult account, can you still set a limit on their account or does the adult himself need to set that up? We have an adult traveling on our next trip which may get himself in to trouble if he has access to an account. We plan to watch the charges on a daily basis but would like to set up any limits we can to head off an issue if possible. I booked his cabin through my credit card so I don't know if I have any authority or not.

Thank you for your help!

I wish!

Carnival has a slick system where you can go online and set spending limits for all the cards on your account before you sail.

RCI should copy it!

RCI does offer this as posted by champagne123. Guest services will set spending limits on any family member's SeaPass card. The question was raised as to whether or not the purchases at the arcade are tied into those limits. I have no direct experience with this but can't see why they wouldn't be - not sure how one venue can override a limit.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

thanks.

Yes you can.

We have never had to set limits through the ship for our teens. They know ahead of time how much they are allowed. Go over......no phone or electronics. This has worked well for us. I check the account each day to make sure and let them know how much they have left. It's a good lesson for them.