Don't miss Lincoln Center Stage

Afloat

My wife and I just returned from the Mediterranean Tapestry Cruise on the Eurodam. One of the highlights of our voyage was enjoying the performance of Lincoln Center Stage, four young women forming a string quartet (two violins, a cello and a viola) and a young man playing piano. They gave multiple performances almost every day.

The music is beautiful and very eclectic. In addition to classic pieces by Brahms we were treated to Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin, Appalachian Spring by Copeland, Rodeo by Copeland, Creep by Radiohead, The Candide Overture by Bernstein and Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

They provide interesting insights about the music they perform.

The venue they play in is small and you should arrive at least 15-20 minutes early to assure seats.

We looked forward to attending their performances, which were approximately 45 minutes to one hour long, as often as we could.

My wife and I just returned from the Mediterranean Tapestry Cruise on the Eurodam. One of the highlights of our voyage was enjoying the performance of Lincoln Center Stage, four young women forming a string quartet (two violins, a cello and a viola) and a young man playing piano. They gave multiple performances almost every day.

The music is beautiful and very eclectic. In addition to classic pieces by Brahms we were treated to Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin, Appalachian Spring by Copeland, Rodeo by Copeland, Creep by Radiohead, The Candide Overture by Bernstein and Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

The venue they play in is small and you should arrive at least 15-20 minutes early to assure seats.

We looked forward to attending their performances, which were approximately 45 minutes to one hour long, as often as we could.

Sounds awesome. Thanks!

This sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing this!

Thank you for this information.

Is there a place for handicapped people to sit?

I am unable to handle stairs.

Just came back from the same cruise as OP. Eurodam had the Lincoln Center Stage where the former Explorer Lounge on Deck 2 near the MDR used to be. They opened the space a bit and added normal chairs, but there is room for a few wheelchair and scooters I believe. No steps to handle. Unlike the dedicated stage on the Koningsdam, the one in the Eurodam is right by where people pass to and from the MDR, and sometimes they were noisy despite signs requesting quiet due to the performance. I agree with the rave reviews. Even though most slow classical pieces are not my thing, the LCS had several outstanding numbers during the course of the cruise, including their fantastic rendition of Stairway to Heaven.

Edited by vicd1969

This is great news and heartening to me. Can I have a few more details from someone familiar with the arrangement on the Kdam?

Adagio Strings (duo) traditionally play between 5;00-9:00 in the Explorer's Lounge with beverage service. With Lincoln Center, what are typical performance times? How many days on a 12 day sailing? Is it lounge seating or theater style? Is there good beverage service in the venue?

Thanks!

If you look at K-dam deck plan you will see that the Lincoln Center is just beyond the Queen's Lounge across from the "dueling pianos". Continue down the hallways to the Main stage. The venues are not used at the same time. Each has their performance scheduled at a time when it will not intrude on the other performances - or so it was on our 24 day cruise. There is no longer Adagio strings. However, the LC performers (violin, viola, base, piano) often play at other events as well. You will enjoy them!

If you look at K-dam deck plan you will see that the Lincoln Center is just beyond the Queen's Lounge across from the "dueling pianos". Continue down the hallways to the Main stage. The venues are not used at the same time. Each has their performance scheduled at a time when it will not intrude on the other performances - or so it was on our 24 day cruise. There is no longer Adagio strings. However' date=' the LC performers (violin, viola, base, piano) often play at other events as well. You will enjoy them![/quote']

The wife will be disappointed, but hope she will enjoy the new performers.

Allan

So it's about 45 minutes and only one performance?

If so, that's a real downgrade for me. I spend the majority of my evening in Explorers Lounge because of adagio. When does this go out to the rest of the fleet? (I'm looking at Zaandam, as I'm booked on her for 2017).

There usually were several performances on the Lincoln Stage each day. They seem to be of more varied music performances than the usual strings in the Explorer's Lounge and are about 45 minutes in length. We enjoyed many of the music interludes there but it is very different from relaxing in the Explorer's either before or after dinner listening to the music and enjoying a cocktail.

... When does this go out to the rest of the fleet? (I'm looking at Zaandam, as I'm booked on her for 2017).

Although LCS is a "real downgrade" for you, a call to HAL Seattle should get you the info as to when LCS will be introduced on Zaandam and other HAL ships ...

Thank you, Afloat (and lynn2002, colonialinnkeeper, TonyC1952, & crusin'teach) for sharing your thoughts on LCS. Always great to hear from positive folks who enjoy the many facets of cruising with HAL.

There are multiple (4 or 5) performances of the LCS musician of sets lasting about 45 minutes. They started sometime after 6PM, and played until 945, most nights of our cruise on the Oosterdam. We experienced the Adagio performances on our latest cruise, and they were very entertaining too!

Edited by TonyC1952

We too were on the OOesterdam for three consecutive cruises and didn't come onto the performances until the second cruise... however, they were simply outstanding. I would hope HAL adds this programing to "all" ships instead of the token pianist and violin they have moved to on the smaller ships. We really enjoyed the variety of music played and the quality of the musicians. I would say the programs weren't exactly "well" attended as the numbers and venue size were somewhat similar to those we've experienced at some of the smaller programs when there were more musicians (3-5) where now they have gotten more repetitive and with only piano and violin (maybe they have dropped them to piano only by now???). Congratulations HAL on this addition on the larger ships... I hope you will try to find a way to add this to your entire fleet.

This was very well presented and very well attended. I have a major complaint though about this venue. It was packed every night and even the small room at the back had people sitting in it most nights. It is all open to the adjacent corridor that takes you to the MDR. They put up signs at each end "Quiet Please, Performance in Progress" but here you are walking along with friends, on your way to dinner and all of a sudden you have to quit talking and enjoying yourself because the musicians are playing right beside where you are walking basically...it is quite open to the corridor. This needs to have its own room, way larger by the way, so people can enjoy this type of music without any distractions. Also the MDR sends you to the attached room at the back with your beeper to wait until they have a table for you. The beeper makes quite the sound when they page you...not good during the performance. Just not a good area for this type of venue!

We were on the Eurodam last Feb and the Lincoln Center performers were very popular. You had to get there at least 30 minutes in advance to get a seat. People were standing 2-3 deep in the hallway. On sea days they performed an addition concert in the afternoon. They were far and away much better than what was going on in the Main Theatre. (not just our opinion).

Fortunately we will be back on the Eurodam in April and really looking forward to the Lincoln Center group.

This was very well presented and very well attended. I have a major complaint though about this venue. It was packed every night and even the small room at the back had people sitting in it most nights. It is all open to the adjacent corridor that takes you to the MDR. They put up signs at each end "Quiet Please, Performance in Progress" but here you are walking along with friends, on your way to dinner and all of a sudden you have to quit talking and enjoying yourself because the musicians are playing right beside where you are walking basically...it is quite open to the corridor. This needs to have its own room, way larger by the way, so people can enjoy this type of music without any distractions. Also the MDR sends you to the attached room at the back with your beeper to wait until they have a table for you. The beeper makes quite the sound when they page you...not good during the performance. Just not a good area for this type of venue!

I totally agree with you about the suboptimal venue on the Eurodam. I would have preferred them to play in the middle of deck 3 where the Ocean Bar is. Their fantastic music would have enhanced the atrium space as well.