Funniest Complaints Heard While Cruising

runningtide

I've really enjoyed reading these! I've got three, one of which is more cute than a complaint. I've probably posted all of these, so if you've seen them just skip over them. :)

Cute one first. At lunch, DH and I were seated with a pair of nice ladies from Great Britain. Hubby and I ordered a pad thai bowl, which came with a sunnyside egg on top. The two ladies seemed indecisive and ordered what we ordered, possibly because they couldn't choose. Lunches arrived. The ladies were looking at their bowls doubtfully. One of them said, "Oh, I don't think I can eat this at all. It's looking right at me."

Another cruise, we ordered tuna tartare. The couple at our table followed suit and ordered it as well. When it arrived, she said to him, "This tuna's raw." He said to her, "And where's the tartar sauce."

Last one. A lady in a gift shop near the port in Victoria, Canada was berating the cashier saying, "I don't want this kind of change. I want really money." I guess in her view Canadian money wasn't real.

You can't cure stupid or Lawyers. Oh, Wait, That could be misconstrued as a oxymoron. :D

Went to Wallyworld and picked up a bag of unshelled peanuts. On the back it said "Caution may contain Nuts." I put them back. I thought Peanuts were Legumes!!

Edited by WupperAV

You can't cure stupid or Lawyers. Oh, Wait, That could be misconstrued as a oxymoron. :D

Went to Wallyworld and picked up a bag of unshelled peanuts. On the back it said "Caution may contain Nuts." I put them back. I thought Peanuts were Legumes!!

Then shouldn't they be called peagumes? 😝😝😝

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That works! A woman at a McDonald's drive thru put a 'hot coffee' between her legs and drove off. Well, a bit latter traveling down the road the lid of her 'hot coffee' came off supposedly scalding a 'sensitive' part of he anatomy. She sued and won! Maybe when the money runs out she can drive down to the local Dairy Queen and order a milk shake and .................................

Do some research. There is a LOT more to the story.

Yup on the Peagumes! YA! Too many lawyers with nothing to do. She poured the coffee on her crotch. Where is her responsibility? What happened to cup holders in her car, were they full of empty cups? Hope she enjoyed the money. I have spilled hot coffee in every state in the US and I'm not suing anyone.

Edited by WupperAV

Sorry Poppy, I have to disagree. To me an automobile is not a restaurant or mobile eating place and consuming 'hot' food or drink in a moving automobile [to me] is a formula for disaster. Ones crotch is not a cup holder. It's said that you can't fix stupid but that's not true. Hot coffee seems to work?

Yes, there is. This sort of case is emblematic of what is wrong with our society. If someone gets hurt - someone ELSE must be responsible. The more painful the hurt, the more someone ELSE should pay - regardless of individual responsibility.

While contingency fees are a good concept in that it allows people who have been wronged to seek compensation, the fact that the party being sued does not have the right to counter-sue to recover expenses of defending himself encourages ambulance chasers to pursue the silliest claims - on the chance that some might pay off - or that the sued party will simply settle just to avoid negative publicity or the cost of defending even absurd claims.

The women was declared partly responsible, there were no cup holders, the coffee was far hotter than served anywhere else.

I am sympathetic because I was burned by McDonalds coffee when countless previous spills of coffee or tea had never caused pain lasting a week. The answer was that McDonalds coffee was served far hotter than anywhere else causing more severe burns than typical.

The women was found partly responsible, there were no cupholders and the coffee was much hotter than normal.

I paid attention because I was burned by McDonalds coffee with pain lasting a week. Countless spills of coffee and tea had never caused lasting pain so why was this different? Because of the higher than normal temperature.

But back to funniest complaint: My tablemate started complaining about his wine being "off" each evening. New bottles were offered even though Wine steward didn't agree that anything was wrong with the wine.

It turned out that the scopolamine patch was affecting his sense of taste and nothing was wrong with the wine.

The women was declared partly responsible, there were no cup holders, the coffee was far hotter than served anywhere else.

I am sympathetic because I was burned by McDonald's coffee when countless previous spills of coffee or tea had never caused pain lasting a week. The answer was that McDonald's coffee was served far hotter than anywhere else causing more severe burns than typical.

Kiran no offence implied with this post. I'm sorry about your unfortunate experience with spilled hot coffee and the discomfort you experienced following that mishap but are we in essence saying that perhaps we need more labels to protect the consumer?

Hot coffee is hot and should be treated as hot. If it comes in contact with human flesh a second or two after it's served it's going to hurt and perhaps damage your skin. If a label is added to a serving of any vendors 'hot coffee' that says the coffee you've just bought is being served at a temperature of 187.652 degrees Fahrenheit and can cause a painful burn if spilled on the human body we all know that some person is going to pour that hot coffee on their head in an attempt to find out just how hot 187.652 degrees really is. His temperature measuring technique will likely be followed up by legal representation.

Long short is that we all need to slow down a pay attention to what we're doing. That also means that we need to pay attention to the things that are happening around us too.

It's been said in posts before this one and I agree that we all need to take responsibility for our actions and stop looking for an easy and sometimes profitable excuse like the McDonald's 'coffee lady' did. I wonder how Goldilocks would do at a McDonald's?

Yup on the Peagumes! YA! Too many lawyers with nothing to do. She poured the coffee on her crotch. Where is her responsibility? What happened to cup holders in her car, were they full of empty cups? Hope she enjoyed the money. I have spilled hot coffee in every state in the US and I'm not suing anyone.

Like I told the other poster do some research. There is a lot more to the story and you will be very surprised what you find. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Like I told the other poster do some research. There is a lot more to the story and you will be very surprised what you find. Don't judge a book by its cover.

All right- since you keep saying that there is more to the story, please advise what it is about the story which has not already been discussed on this thread which is relevant to the topic of this thread. I think it can be generally stipulated that is more to EVERY story - but to what point?

The women was found partly responsible, there were no cupholders and the coffee was much hotter than normal.

Being "partly responsible" is an interesting concept - worth pursuing. If she had not spilled the coffee on herself she would not have been burned - regardless of the temperature of the coffee. Yes, the coffee was at a hotter temperature than other places might have served - but she surely should have known that hot coffee, regardless of temperature, needs to be handled with care.

Of course, Ford or GM (or whatever manufacturer) could also be considered partly responsible -- why did they make a car without cupholders - couldn't they see that they would be forcing people to drive with cups of hot coffee between their thighs?

What many of us here are saying is that the person who does something stupid which causes said person hurt should rationally be seen as being immediately, and primarily, responsible for causing that hurt.

Our society has become so determined to coddle the stupid that manufacturers of rotary lawn mowers regularly have to warn against holding them up to use as hedge clippers.

All right- since you keep saying that there is more to the story, please advise what it is about the story which has not already been discussed on this thread which is relevant to the topic of this thread. I think it can be generally stipulated that is more to EVERY story - but to what point?

Okay, please review the following:

@There is a lot of hype about the McDonalds' scalding coffee case. No one is in favor of frivolous cases of outlandish results; however, it is important to understand some points that were not reported in most of the stories about the case. McDonalds coffee was not only hot, it was scalding -- capable of almost instantaneous destruction of skin, flesh and muscle. Here's the whole story.

Stella Liebeck of Albuquerque, New Mexico, was in the passenger seat of her grandson's car when she was severely burned by McDonalds' coffee in February 1992. Liebeck, 79 at the time, ordered coffee that was served in a styrofoam cup at the drivethrough window of a local McDonalds.

After receiving the order, the grandson pulled his car forward and stopped momentarily so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. (Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true.) Liebeck placed the cup between her knees and attempted to remove the plastic lid from the cup. As she removed the lid, the entire contents of the cup spilled into her lap.

The sweatpants Liebeck was wearing absorbed the coffee and held it next to her skin. A vascular surgeon determined that Liebeck suffered full thickness burns (or third-degree burns) over 6 percent of her body, including her inner thighs, perineum, buttocks, and genital and groin areas. She was hospitalized for eight days, during which time she underwent skin grafting. Liebeck, who also underwent debridement treatments, sought to settle her claim for $20,000, but McDonalds refused.

During discovery, McDonalds produced documents showing more than 700 claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This history documented McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of this hazard.

McDonalds also said during discovery that, based on a consultants advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit to maintain optimum taste. He admitted that he had not evaluated the safety ramifications at this temperature. Other establishments sell coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is generally 135 to 140 degrees.

Further, McDonalds' quality assurance manager testified that the company actively enforces a requirement that coffee be held in the pot at 185 degrees, plus or minus five degrees. He also testified that a burn hazard exists with any food substance served at 140 degrees or above, and that McDonalds coffee, at the temperature at which it was poured into styrofoam cups, was not fit for consumption because it would burn the mouth and throat. The quality assurance manager admitted that burns would occur, but testified that McDonalds had no intention of reducing the "holding temperature" of its coffee.

Plaintiffs' expert, a scholar in thermodynamics applied to human skin burns, testified that liquids, at 180 degrees, will cause a full thickness burn to human skin in two to seven seconds. Other testimony showed that as the temperature decreases toward 155 degrees, the extent of the burn relative to that temperature decreases exponentially. Thus, if Liebeck's spill had involved coffee at 155 degrees, the liquid would have cooled and given her time to avoid a serious burn.

McDonalds asserted that customers buy coffee on their way to work or home, intending to consume it there. However, the companys own research showed that customers intend to consume the coffee immediately while driving.

McDonalds also argued that consumers know coffee is hot and that its customers want it that way. The company admitted its customers were unaware that they could suffer thirddegree burns from the coffee and that a statement on the side of the cup was not a "warning" but a "reminder" since the location of the writing would not warn customers of the hazard.

The jury awarded Liebeck $200,000 in compensatory damages. This amount was reduced to $160,000 because the jury found Liebeck 20 percent at fault in the spill. The jury also awarded Liebeck $2.7 million in punitive damages, which equals about two days of McDonalds' coffee sales.

Post-verdict investigation found that the temperature of coffee at the local Albuquerque McDonalds had dropped to 158 degrees fahrenheit.

The trial court subsequently reduced the punitive award to $480,000 -- or three times compensatory damages -- even though the judge called McDonalds' conduct reckless, callous and willful.

No one will ever know the final ending to this case.

The parties eventually entered into a secret settlement which has never been revealed to the public, despite the fact that this was a public case, litigated in public and subjected to extensive media reporting. Such secret settlements, after public trials, should not be condoned.

Edited by PoppyandNana

WHAT?!?!?!?! :eek::mad:

I am truly baffled by this. How do you just demand someone else's seat?

We had the same thing happen with a couple on an excursion in Hawaii. When we boarded, there was room next to an older couple but they were spread out and didn't offer to let us sit by them, on the upper deck. We asked if they minded letting us sit beside them and they said "yes" and refused to move closer to each other. We found seats down on the lower deck and we decided was our own fault for not getting to the boat earlier.We were a little disappointed, but a few minutes later it started to rain and we congratulated ourselves on having a dry spot to sit. The older couple came down and demanded they move and give us the seats because they got wet upstairs. We were so flabbergasted that we got up and let them have our seats. We decided to go get a snack and while there, the rain stopped so we went to the upper deck and sat down. The older couple came up and looked us in the face and said, "You're sitting in our seats. Get up." When we didn't move they said, "Those are our seats." We just ignored them and kept sitting. It was a nasty staring game for several awkward minutes and they finally walked away grumbling about us being rude to them.

The "rest of the story" is not news. The concept of punitive damages is well known - and is simply one more serious flaw in our system. The idea of punishing behavior on one person's part by enriching another individual is absurd. Let bad behavior be paid for as a fine to enrich the community - but not individuals - or, more offensively, their attorneys (who dreamed up the notion) - if the injured party is entitled to punitive, as well as real, damages - how is that entitlement met if the guilty party has neither assets nor insurance? Involuntary servitude comes to mind.

OK folks...this thread has been completely high jacked by the "McDonald's Coffee" legal/ethical discussion, which has now been beaten to death and has nothing to do with funny complaints on a cruise ship. Could we please get back to some funny stories???

Edited by Kartgv

OK folks...this thread has been completely high jacked by the "McDonald's Coffee" legal/ethical discussion, which has now been beaten to death and has nothing to do with funny complaints on a cruise ship. Could we please get back to some funny stories???

Thank you.

My worst experience with an unreasonable complaint happened on the Maasdam on our very first cruise. We were first in line on the balcony level waiting for the doors to the theatre to be opened for the evening show. When they opened we went to the front row of the balcony and sat down in the middle of the row.

At the same time a gentleman rushed in the other end of the row yelling that he needed 12 seats left empty and that we should move over. Since the row had filled in behind us there was no way we could oblige. He then demanded we give up our seats and move to another row. By that time the remaining rows were all filling up and there was no place for us to go, so we stayed where we were.

The gentleman alternated between guarding his eleven seats and yelling at us to leave. At the time the Maasdam had tiny flat wood panels between seats. When his party arrived the gentleman ordered his football player sized teenage son to sit on the panel next to me, which meant he was also sitting on my left leg. I complained that he was hurting me but the father told him to stay put. I was 57 years old at the time and the kid weighed a ton.

We were looking around for a staff member to intervene but before that could happen the people in the row behind us started to tell the gentleman off. He finally relented and told his son to move.

We really didn't enjoy the show too much after that as the incident had me in tears that I tried my best to hide.

In all our years of cruising since, we have never had an experience that shook me like that one. We try to stay low key and not draw attention to ourselves but that incident spun out of control so fast it became very embarrassing.

Agreed---this story has turned into somewhat of an urban legend. Short Story--McDonalds admitted guilt that they purposely kept the coffee hotter than it needed to be despite warnings, and she won a small amount of money--commensurate with the admission of guilt. LOTS more than that but this is the condensed version for those who are interested

NOT a joke--I once heard a woman complain that it was so hot her ice cubes melted too quickly...

Also, rumor has it someone once complained the elevators didn't go from the back of the ship to the front. Also, unconfirmed, someone complained that the stairs only went up...