Mobile passport at port Everglades

dpluta

I just downloaded the app for my Android phone, and while you can set everything up the "New Trip" function still has airports only. So the date of later this month for Android users seems to hold.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

So, what does this mean for passengers? Will there now be multiple lines for expedited processing (MPC, Global Entry, NEXUS, etc.), as well as the regular old line for passengers without membership in any of these programs? Does a NEXUS card holder just continue using it or jump into the MPC program? With the supposed start date only two days away, it would be nice to have a better feel for how all these programs are going to mesh. Or not, as the case may be.

BTW, the CBP FAQ states that the program is open to Canadian citizens as well, although the Port Everglades press release only mentions U.S. citizens. With a cruise just over a week away, I'll have my Nexus card in one hand, my iPhone in the other and my passport clenched tightly between my teeth! I'll also have a puzzled look on my face, not knowing which line to join. :)

And let me bet there will be nobody who knows what line to put you in!! :eek:

Actually, the best thing to do is go to the shortest line. :D

We have TSA PreCheck, and sometimes that line is longer than the "everybody else" line. All we do is go through the shortest line, show our TSA PreCheck card or boarding pass, and we are through in a jiffy!

With the Mobile Pass, we would heads and tails ahead of everyone trying to come back into the U.S. Oh, I said earlier that there was no filling out immigration forms...I meant custom forms. ;)

Not always the case, usually is but not always....I can't count the number of times I've experienced precheck being quicker than the normal shorter lines at airports around the country but you are right the everyone shouldn't make the assumption that that's always the case either...just have to be observant (as you appear to be:))

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by oroszdb

Not always the case, usually is but not always....I can't count the number of times I've experienced precheck being quicker than the normal shorter lines at airports around the country but you are right the everyone shouldn't make the assumption that that's always the case either...just have to be observant (as you appear to be:))

There's a reasonable assurance that those in Pre-check aren't going to dicker around, though. And they don't have to remove laptops, shoes, belts, and jackets most of the time. So I'd still choose a Pre-check line with 10 people versus a regular lane with 5, at least at the airport.

Can you not use both, using GE (or NEXUS) to speed the immigration process and MPC for the customs process?

nope...but if it was me I'd use GE (followed by NEXUS) over everything else

Why not? GE is just a special line but you still need a Customs form which the mobile passport is. Why would you fill in a paper form when you can have it on your phone?

Am I thinking right here?

There's a reasonable assurance that those in Pre-check aren't going to dicker around, though. And they don't have to remove laptops, shoes, belts, and jackets most of the time. So I'd still choose a Pre-check line with 10 people versus a regular lane with 5, at least at the airport.

That is why I will always choose the Pre-Check. But also you don't go thru the body scanner. I would choose the Pre Check line if there were 20 in it versus 5 in the regular line to now have to go thru the body scanner.

Why not? GE is just a special line but you still need a Customs form which the mobile passport is. Why would you fill in a paper form when you can have it on your phone?

It makes logical sense but when dealing with government logic is not always the way it works. Hopefully some will try GE with the Mobile Passport and report back.

Good point, but I was comparing 25+ going through PreCheck and very few in the regular line.

That is why I will always choose the Pre-Check. But also you don't go thru the body scanner. I would choose the Pre Check line if there were 20 in it versus 5 in the regular line to now have to go thru the body scanner.

When we went through Newark last month, we had to go into the body scanner with PreCheck. :(

Good point, but I was comparing 25+ going through PreCheck and very few in the regular line.

When we went through Newark last month, we had to go into the body scanner with PreCheck. :(

They do randomly select some with PreCheck to go to the body scanner but generally they don't. I have yet to go thru the body scanner since I got PreCheck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When you do your GE to go through immigration, the machine gives you a print out that you hand to customs. That's how it worked at IAH in Houston in October, so no paper form to fill. There were signs directing GE to a special line at customs ... we were out of the airport in 15 minutes and the longest part of that was the wait for the bags.

When you do your GE to go through immigration, the machine gives you a print out that you hand to customs. That's how it worked at IAH in Houston in October, so no paper form to fill. There were signs directing GE to a special line at customs ... we were out of the airport in 15 minutes and the longest part of that was the wait for the bags.

At Port Everglades they don't have the Global Entry kiosks that they have at the airports. So we needed to have the paper form. All they have is a separate Global Entry line. No machines and I was told at this time they don't plan to put in the machines at the port.

At Port Everglades they don't have the Global Entry kiosks that they have at the airports. So we needed to have the paper form. All they have is a separate Global Entry line. No machines and I was told at this time they don't plan to put in the machines at the port.

Good to know.

In case it's still unclear what the answer is re: GE and the customs form. The answer:

In an airport, you don't fill out a separate customs form because there is a kiosk to use. You scan your passport, fill out the info at the kiosk, and then proceed. You do not even need to have your Global Entry card. You do not need the Mobile Passport app at the airport.

At Port Everglades, you show your Global Entry card to someone to get priority access to an agent. You still have to have a customs form to give to that agent. So the Mobile Passport app would be useful in this case.

They do randomly select some with PreCheck to go to the body scanner but generally they don't. I have yet to go thru the body scanner since I got PreCheck.

We were not picked randomly. In this case, everyone in the line was put into the scanner. And come to think of it, DH and I have been put through the body scanner more than once in the last 6 months. Though the others times may have been overseas. TSA PC not good over there.

In case it's still unclear what the answer is re: GE and the customs form. The answer:

In an airport, you don't fill out a separate customs form because there is a kiosk to use. You scan your passport, fill out the info at the kiosk, and then proceed. You do not even need to have your Global Entry card. You do not need the Mobile Passport app at the airport.

At Port Everglades, you show your Global Entry card to someone to get priority access to an agent. You still have to have a customs form to give to that agent. So the Mobile Passport app would be useful in this case.

The Mobile Passport is easy to use. All you do is scan your phone. Nothing to fill out at a kiosk an no need to show passport.;)

We used it as well at JFK this past summer as that was our entry point into the US from Milan, Italy. It saved us so much time. There were 3 of us traveling together, myself, husband and son and we were all together on the app on my cell phone that the agent scanned. We used the same line after claiming our bags that the Global Entry people used. It's free!

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry, just spoke with CBP and Port of Miami (didn't call Everglades) and Mobile Passport is only in selected airports, no cruise ports at this time. I was hoping (once I saw your post) to use it to expedite things with the absence of Luggage Valet.:(

Global Entry and Mobile Passport available in Port Everglades.

Apple/IOS only

Android Coming Soon

I just downloaded the app for my Android phone, and while you can set everything up the "New Trip" function still has airports only. So the date of later this month for Android users seems to hold.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Mobile Passport Android ETA = first week in December

Port Everglades only seaport

Returned to Port Everglades on Silhouette on Nov 20. They had a special Global Entry Lane set up. We were in a Suite and off the ship on the first group after Self Disembarkation. There were no lines on any of the lanes when we went through. We used the Global Entry Lane with a paper customs form. (I forgot I had the program on my IPhone). Total time through CBP was about 30 seconds.

Hope someone sees this and can answer my question. I've just downloaded Mobile Passport on Ipad and phone (plan B). Passports are loaded and pictures have been added as well. How far ahead of time do you have to fill out your trip info (meaning can I do it day before we disembark) and do I need phone and/or wifi service to utilize the app once I get to US Customs?

Hope someone sees this and can answer my question. I've just downloaded Mobile Passport on Ipad and phone (plan B). Passports are loaded and pictures have been added as well. How far ahead of time do you have to fill out your trip info (meaning can I do it day before we disembark) and do I need phone and/or wifi service to utilize the app once I get to US Customs?

We have used it twice flying into U.S.

Both times I opened app on phone once landed, entered info (took only a minute or so), and then used phone at counter.

I don't think you can do it in advance, and if that is the case, yes, you will need to use cell service.

"Once you are at your port of entry (airport or sea port), connect to wireless or wi-fi and submit your data to CBP. Remember: when you submit, you are confirming under penalty of law that your information is correct. Within a few seconds, you will receive a CBP receipt with an encrypted barcode. Your receipt will be valid for 4 hours."

That's from the CBP website. There are several other places within the app and app store where it mentions the 4 hour window. The submit page of the app also says "yes, I am at my port of entry" before you send it.

That is correct...MP is better than filling out the form but GE is better than MP

I don't agree with that (at least not 100% of the time).

At airport, if you use GE, you have to stop at the kiosks to scan passport, answer questions, and get paper receipt....if you use MP, you walk right past the kiosk and directly to, at least in Chicago for us, a special "MP" line....there was a person at the counter, and then us. No wait.

Now with more MP's travelers in the future, that can change the number of people in that MP line...

I was selected for both the body scanner and a full pat down on my return home in FLL. It was a first for me and only took a couple minutes. Still did not have to remove shoes, belt etc.