Those who have tried Steakhouse Selection on American Table Menu

I only tried once- the filet was terrible- overcooked and full of gristle. I dine in the Steakhouse at least three times every cruise and always find everything wonderful. In my opinion, the mdr steakhouse selections do not compare to the actual entrees in the Steakhouse. Add in the great appetizers, relaxing ambiance and excellent service and it is well worth the extra charge to go to the Steakhouse.

As with other for fee options such as Cheers, FTTF, tips, etc. no one else can judge what you would enjoy or consider worthwhile.

Personally I would not pay for the upcharge in the MDR. I happily pay for the Steakhouse.

I can see a situation where only one in the sailing party is interested and it might be a good compromise.

One of my daughters tried the filet one time. It was a good, but not exceptional piece of beef. It was not cooked to order; she asked for medium and got rare and sent it back. One experience does not make a trend.

I completely agree for another $15 you get special service, better appetizers, better soups, and a better experience.

Yes! And they pay attention to how you request your steak. I ask for rare expecting some cold blood on the plate. My daughter asks for medium wanting a lot of warm pink meat. We get what we expect in the Steakhouse and I'm not sure the MDR can take the time to do that.

Not to mention the escargot, the Beef Carpaccio, or the indescribable chocolate dessert.

Still the OP's question was which upcharge item one would choose in the MDR. My answer is none.

Yes! And they pay attention to how you request your steak. I ask for rare expecting some cold blood on the plate. My daughter asks for medium wanting a lot of warm pink meat. We get what we expect in the Steakhouse and I'm not sure the MDR can take the time to do that.

Not to mention the escargot, the Beef Carpaccio, or the indescribable chocolate dessert.

Still the OP's question was which upcharge item one would choose in the MDR. My answer is none.

It is cooked in the Steakhouse and the servers have to go up to get it when it's done. It's the exact same steak cooked the exact same way by the exact same chefs as if you ate there.

Oh and I can get 2 meals in the MDR for about the same price as one in the Steakhouse. That is too much food for me anyway and I would waste a lot of it.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Sorry, this post makes absolutely no sense. did anyone mention the Triumph? so, you can not even get steakhouse items in the MDR?

I'm the OP. I posted that there is no steakhouse on the Triumph as some have suggested. There are, however, steakhouse selections on the new menu in the MDR. That's what I was referring to & asking about.

so, they are not the same steaks or cooked the same way. how can you have a Steakhouse steak with no Steakhouse. The Steakhouse steaks are cooked on a special grill, the only open flame grill allowed on the inside of the ship. All MDR food is cooked on flattops or ovens. we learned this on the Behind the Scenes Tour. The MDR steak is not even in the same league as the steakhouse.

so, they are not the same steaks or cooked the same way. how can you have a Steakhouse steak with no Steakhouse. The Steakhouse steaks are cooked on a special grill, the only open flame grill allowed on the inside of the ship. All MDR food is cooked on flattops or ovens. we learned this on the Behind the Scenes Tour. The MDR steak is not even in the same league as the steakhouse.

On the ships that have Steakhouses they ARE the exact same steaks as the ones you order from the Steakhouse. They are cooked on the grill up there and your waiter must go up to get them. I have ordered the Filet 6 or 7 times (maybe more than that, I cant remember exactly) and this is what happened each and every time. That's why they tell you it will take a little longer.

I am taking about the ones that are a $20 up charge not the normal, everyday steaks.

However, if the ship doesn't have a Steakhouse, then I don't think it's that difficult for them to be supplied with the same cuts of meat as if the ship did have one. It doesn't matter to the provisioning people. They can still get the same quality food although it may be prepared slightly different as previously pointed out if there's no grill onboard.

Edited by firemanbobswife

I do understand that it may not be in the same league as the steakhouse. I was simply asking what everyone liked from the steakhouse selection on the menu, if they so chose to get an upgrade. Hopefully one day, we will be on a ship with a steakhouse. I'd definitely pay the $35 charge.

DH had the Double Lamb Chops on last cruise. It was delicious he said. It did cost $20.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH & I are planning to split this on the second elegant night on our next cruise. I love lamb chops, but can't eat a full rack. I'm planning on getting the Lobster in the Steakhouse, because I think I can eat all of that!

I do understand that it may not be in the same league as the steakhouse. I was simply asking what everyone liked from the steakhouse selection on the menu, if they so chose to get an upgrade. Hopefully one day, we will be on a ship with a steakhouse. I'd definitely pay the $35 charge.

It is a wonderful meal and evening, if you do it let us all know your thoughts when you return.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One other thing to consider but I don't know if Triumph has the Seaday Brunch. The filet they served on the Vista with the Steak and Eggs was excellent. Not Flemings or Ruth's quality but way better than anything I've ever had at Outback.

^^^ This!!! Seaday Brunch Steak & Eggs = filet mignon for free. I actually enjoyed it more than the surf & turf that I paid the $20 upcharge for in the MDR.