What else are they cutting out!?

We started cruising in 1995. Our first cruise was aboard a HAL ship and the service and food was outstanding. We were hooked on cruising. We had several more cruises over the years with HAL and if you go over to the HAL board, you will hear the same thing about cutting back. We tried Royal in 2010 and were wowed by the Oasis and Allure. We love those ships and will continue to cruise on Royal. If there are cut backs, so be it. Cruising is still our favorite vacation and the Oasis class ships are our favorite ships.

We've been all over the world and now we want the ship to be our destination and the Allure/Oasis is exactly what we enjoy. I don't think anyone who is complaining about cut backs is going to find a cruise line that isn't doing cut backs. The cruise lines are in this for a profit just as any business is and they have to answer to their stockholders. Hotels and airlines have also cut back on services, but people still use them. Bottom line is if you aren't happy, find another vacation. There's certainly lots to choose from in the world.

Don't get me wrong. Allure was a very nice ship and the cruise overall was pleasant. It was a goal of ours to go on an Oasis class ship. Now that we have reached that goal and seeing all the pushes away from what it was to specialty up-charge dining for the great food it once was, I don't see any reason to be loyal to the cruise line anymore.

I am a cruise or two away from Diamond and the C&A benefits are really not very attractive to me to be an incentive to reach Diamond.

When we first started cruising back in 2009 we heard so many things about the food from the other lines that didn't come close to the quality of food Royal provided. In my opinion that is no longer the case during our past three years that it once was.

We love cruising and that won't stop, but I will look at the best prices, value, entertainment, and itineraries for my future cruises from all the cruise lines.

There isn't a real reason to be loyal, unless you like the product and benefits you get for sailing them.

The problem is...where are you going to go? All the mass market lines are going in the same general direction, maybe at different speeds. Unless you go up into the luxury lines (which you pay more to get that extra), you're going to find things are similar. They're all cutting down on the base prices (and what you get) and including add-on services. Mainly because that's what people want for the most part (otherwise they wouldn't be doing it).

It was the end of RCCL when they ended the mints on the pillows. Come on people be happy your on vacation. I own a business and you either make a few cuts or you raise the prices. The masses would rather take a few cuts then the prices sky rocket. RCCL does a great job of trying to keep everyone happy and I for one love RCCL. If the Filet is gone than I will order something else. If the raise the prices in Specialty Restaurants then I will either pay it or go to the main DR. RCCL has to do what they think is best for the company and the stock holders.

I just can't fathom while people complain about such trivial things. Enjoy your vacation people and don't sweat the small things...

Bingo! Many people, myself included, keep watching for price drops or an opp'y to snag an upgrade cheap or free. You can't have top quality with rock bottom pricing. I know they are not the cheapest, but you get the point...

Don't get me wrong. Allure was a very nice ship and the cruise overall was pleasant. It was a goal of ours to go on an Oasis class ship. Now that we have reached that goal and seeing all the pushes away from what it was to specialty up-charge dining for the great food it once was, I don't see any reason to be loyal to the cruise line anymore.

I am a cruise or two away from Diamond and the C&A benefits are really not very attractive to me to be an incentive to reach Diamond.

When we first started cruising back in 2009 we heard so many things about the food from the other lines that didn't come close to the quality of food Royal provided. In my opinion that is no longer the case during our past three years that it once was.

We love cruising and that won't stop, but I will look at the best prices, value, entertainment, and itineraries for my future cruises from all the cruise lines.

I think it is crazy not to look at other lines also, after we made diamond we stopped cruising RCCL for several years to try other lines, now we are almost diamond plus, but if cut backs continue we will look at other lines, plus Sandals food in Sandals is so much better than MDR, and no tipping.

Just because everyone's cutting back doesn't make it right.

That's for sure!

We are close to Diamond Plus and Elite Plus each on their own. But I think we will have to do some more comparison of benefits and try NCL and HAL / Princess again.

I do like Celebrity and Royal, but I have my perception of value and it is being eroded by continual cuts. Can the other lines do the same? For sure, but if everyone is in the same boat, that is to me a poor excuse. The only Diamond/Elite benefits we typically use is the cocktail hour in evening and it has been 'dumbed' down too. I can't even get a good craft beer in there. I for sure understand it is their program and accept and appreciate their program and have to base my decision to cruise or not cruise with them based on what they offer in terms of service/product/price including a dumbed down feature-benefit they promote as a reason to sail with them repeatedly.

Then you will hate NCL. Their whole business model revolves around stripping everything to the basics and having people pay for everything they want added to their vacation. One trip over to the NCL board and you will see complaints of "Nickel and Diming" running rampant.

I am ok with that model since I'm one of those people who doesn't use many of the extras anyway, but if it bothers you that RC is cutting back, NCL will be worse. The base price is much cheaper though, from what I've seen, although when I've made that argument on that board, people have told me that's not true and that they find the base prices for NCL and RC to be the same, so who knows, I guess it depends what date you're looking at. I've seen base prices on NCL (the cheapest listed rate) to be in the $450 range for a 7 day on their bigger ships (similar to voyager class), where on RC they would be $850, but others say they've never gotten a price of $450, so maybe that's where all the add-ins come into play. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great point CG. I will say I try to only fly Spirit now because I love that they strip the price down and then you pay for the extras you want. Want a carry on bag? $25. Want a better seat? $35. I'm fine with that. Sometimes I just want the bare minimum and will pay for it. Other times I get all the extras. But if I pay the same and then things start disappearing I'm not ok. I'm a pet groomer. It's a great job, economically. Even when the recession hit I didn't feel it. People will always take care of and spend $ on their pets. I include a few things in my grooming. Nails are included, not an added fee. Bows or a bandana are included. Premium shampoo is included. If suddenly I told my clients they will not get a nail trim, bows or bandana or premium shampoo with their grooming but will be paying the same price they would go somewhere else. Rightfully so, I might add. I did, however, raise the price by $5 recently and lost no one. I'd gladly pay a nominal raised fee to receive the same things I always have on a cruise. But paying the same amount for less is not acceptable imo.

Hey now, I had nothing to do with the pepper grinder thread.

Biker, who thinks the allure of that issue is waning.

Haha, I know. I was calling for you because you've been good at including the pepper grinder issue into all threads not related to pepper grinders, and now here we have another person commenting on the loss of the pepper grinder and they were totally serious (I think); didn't want you to miss that. I believe they said "I heard pepper grinders were gone..." But they weren't even joking [emoji23]

Great point CG. I will say I try to only fly Spirit now because I love that they strip the price down and then you pay for the extras you want. Want a carry on bag? $25. Want a better seat? $35. I'm fine with that. Sometimes I just want the bare minimum and will pay for it. Other times I get all the extras. But if I pay the same and then things start disappearing I'm not ok. I'm a pet groomer. It's a great job, economically. Even when the recession hit I didn't feel it. People will always take care of and spend $ on their pets. I include a few things in my grooming. Nails are included, not an added fee. Bows or a bandana are included. Premium shampoo is included. If suddenly I told my clients they will not get a nail trim, bows or bandana or premium shampoo with their grooming but will be paying the same price they would go somewhere else. Rightfully so, I might add. I did, however, raise the price by $5 recently and lost no one. I'd gladly pay a nominal raised fee to receive the same things I always have on a cruise. But paying the same amount for less is not acceptable imo.

I have to agree. The cruise lines have been pushing us into the specialty restaurants by dumbing down the quality of food in the MDR. OK I'll pay for the special restaurant. Now they are not only raising prices but reducing the quality in the specialty restaurants. Where will it end. Will the "Super Duper Special Chops ++" be next? If they tell us to pay extra for MDR will that be OK? What is acceptable? When do we say enough already.

Hi all , booked E ots 29 December 2016 cause on my birthday was stopping at Lifou on 2 nd December, gess whot they have cut it out

Trouble

Oh well Hogbay, we'll just have to celebrate on the Ovation OTS. My birthday's on the 14th! :)

Just read that potentially filets are being removed from Giovani's.???

If true, I am wondering what else, what other decisions are they making that seems a contradiction to a theme of quality!

One other I have read about recently was the pepper grinder. Not sure if they sill utilize it without having to ask in the MDR for salads, soups, etc.

I have always felt that dining was one the the primo aspects of a cruise. MDR has changed over years and IMHO has been somewhat dumbed down to create some separation from speciality restaurants.

Then the fees for upgrading to a speciality dining experience has skyrocketed. Now if true, you can't even get a filet at Giovani's. Is Chops next? :)

I guess I am sorry, but both Royal and Celebrity are courting a demographic with gimmick attractions that should be left on shore and apparently those demographics are not into dining beyond a hamburger or hotdog or pizza.

Guess you have to go where the money is?!

I'm one to believe that more is being added than removed. Especially on the ships where dry dock/refurb has taken place.

I have to agree. The cruise lines have been pushing us into the specialty restaurants by dumbing down the quality of food in the MDR. OK I'll pay for the special restaurant. Now they are not only raising prices but reducing the quality in the specialty restaurants. Where will it end. Will the "Super Duper Special Chops ++" be next? If they tell us to pay extra for MDR will that be OK? What is acceptable? When do we say enough already.

It sounds like now is a good time for you say enough and stop cruising from the sounds of your post. I love a good meal but that is only a small part of the cruise. You will not go hungry and you make it sound like it is horrible that the cruise lines are making cuts because they have to worry about the bottom line. I guess you do not understand simple economics. Prices go up every year on raw product, cost to maintain ships, payroll and etc. They have kept cruising prices so the mass can afford to go on a cruise and have a nice vacation. If everyone would just kick back a little and relax they might really enjoy themselves. Imagine that!

Then you will hate NCL. Their whole business model revolves around stripping everything to the basics and having people pay for everything they want added to their vacation. One trip over to the NCL board and you will see complaints of "Nickel and Diming" running rampant.

I am ok with that model since I'm one of those people who doesn't use many of the extras anyway, but if it bothers you that RC is cutting back, NCL will be worse. The base price is much cheaper though, from what I've seen, although when I've made that argument on that board, people have told me that's not true and that they find the base prices for NCL and RC to be the same, so who knows, I guess it depends what date you're looking at. I've seen base prices on NCL (the cheapest listed rate) to be in the $450 range for a 7 day on their bigger ships (similar to voyager class), where on RC they would be $850, but others say they've never gotten a price of $450, so maybe that's where all the add-ins come into play. Who knows.

NCL may nickel & dime but at least you can choose the add-ons you want right? I haven't sailed NCL because the cruise I booked with them was cancelled by the cruise line but it was a 14 day for $850 which I think is damn good. Even if I add on drinks & specialty restaurants it's still a cheap vacation. Eventually I probably will try them but after they cancelled that cruise to move Epic to Florida (I heard to compete with Royal?) I was like fine then, I'm going back to Royal!

To the poster who said they are moving to NCL- we sailed on the Getaway in 2015 and it was terrific!! We sailed on the Spirit in 2016 and it was the exact opposite- from food to entertainment to quality of drinks with the complimentary Ultimate Beverage Package to the lack of servers throughout the ship it was the worst vacation we have taken. We are sailing RCCL in 2017.

To the poster who said they are moving to NCL- we sailed on the Getaway in 2015 and it was terrific!! We sailed on the Spirit in 2016 and it was the exact opposite- from food to entertainment to quality of drinks with the complimentary Ultimate Beverage Package to the lack of servers throughout the ship it was the worst vacation we have taken. We are sailing RCCL in 2017.

Just butting in again as a former NCL cruiser (and ironically am considering RCI as it's now the only mass market line I haven't sailed). I was also on the GA in 2015 and it was great. I was on it again in 2016 and it was less so--crew was obviously cut down and room stewards looked miserable and exhausted. Morning cleaning and evening turndown began to run very late every day. Internet was nearly unusable (and anyone going from RC to NCL should keep that in mind, especially on the big ships). It was offline part of the time.

I'm also recently off the norovirus sailing of the Escape. I came down with the illness and ended up stranded sick in my room (solo) with no way to get food or anything but tap water, because they closed my onboard account for some reason. (I was out of the quarantine period, so no free room service (free room service is not a thing on NCL, nor is bringing onboard your own water)).

Not on an NCL vendetta, and I understand the "grass is always greener" urge when ALL the lines are making cuts, but going from the Escape to the Royal Princess really made me realize how poorly staffed NCL's big ships are. (Buffet on the Royal also blew away any buffet I've had at sea, I could write an entire post about it.) But Princess doesn't have the stuff for the rock-wall or Broadway/Cirque crowd, so everything is a trade-off.

Anyway, just chiming in as I've done three large NCL ships in the last 18 months. I might end up trying Oasis but Princess really impressed me.

Edited by AdoraBelle

Got off Allure this past Sunday. They cut prime rib out of the menu and now it's a 1/4 inch thick tough and chewy steak instead.

They did serve lobster ? Probably because they don't have a dedicated seafood restaurant yet !

The last cruise we went on with Royal was in 2014 on Enchantment and that was a horror story. Never even used the future cruise certificate that was good till 2015. Allure is a nice ship, but Royal is pushing all the specialty restaurants now instead.

This may have been my last cruise with Royal.

I had "prime rib" on the Anthem last week. If that's what you missed on your cruise, you weren't missing anything.

This is an interesting thread. Between the people bringing up issues to the people mocking them. I feel I have to chime in.

All the large cruise lines are cutting back. It was this cutting on NCL that drove me to try RCCL for the first time. It's now my favorite cruise line. It's not my only cruise line. I've tried all but Carnival, of the major lines. I read on their boards about cutting back also.

I love the twice a day room service, but it's going away on some lines. Still, I find a cruise to be a relaxing way to vacation. I will keep going until the value isn't worth the cost. But for now, it still is, so I will still go.

They just cut away the tribute bands from the Anthem of the Seas - one of the selling points with music hall. Now Anthem has the same number of bands as the rest of the fleet, same dining... nothing special anymore.

I'm very disappointed about the tribute bands being cancelled. That was one of the things I loved about Anthem, along with Dynamic Dining. I complained to Dru and Chris the Activities Director when I was on the ship last week, and followed it up with an email to the head of Guest Relations when I got home.

I'm hoping that this is a temporary cutback and they will return next year.

I'm very disappointed about the tribute bands being cancelled. That was one of the things I loved about Anthem, along with Dynamic Dining. I complained to Dru and Chris the Activities Director when I was on the ship last week, and followed it up with an email to the head of Guest Relations when I got home.

I'm hoping that this is a temporary cutback and they will return next year.

When are they cancelling the tribute bands on the Anthem? How did you guys hear about that?

RCCL has to do what they think is best for the company and the stock holders.

I hate when people post this statement. Sure you want to make money, but you want to make your customers happy, too. It's not all about the stock holders.