Hotel Location in Hong Kong

wcc19

I'm reading this thread with interest... hope I'm not hijacking the thread by saying...

We are booked into the Shangri La Kowloon at the end of a cruise, does anyone know this hotel? We have gone for a Horizon room (similar to club class I think) harbour view...

I'm hoping the hotel is in a good position as we don't have that much time in HK.

We stayed there many years ago, tempted by their offer of a free upgrade to a harbourview room for a stay of 3 nights or more (I doubt that offer is permanent) and by the room's wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling panoramic window. Amazing views - especially at night.

A five-star hotel, very good & no issues. But we didn't eat or drink there, because the prices were 5-star too. :eek:

Considered it for last time we were in HK, but not worth the large premium for a harbour-view room.

It's about a 10 minute walk to Nathan Road, or a 15 minute waterfront walk to the Tsim -Sha-Tsui ferry terminal (at the time there was a hovercraft ferry close to the hotel, but that ceased operating long ago)

Not as convenient as many, such as the Salisbury, but not desperately inconvenient either.

JB :)

I picked the Novotel on Nathan Road up from Tsim Sha Tsui as it was near a mass transit line, not remote, affordable, and close to my likely departure docks (HIT4 or HIT9, turned out to be HIT 9) for our TPAC cruise. We had to stay an extra day as the ship was in late but the line did send a driver to pick us up for a complimentary transfer to he ship.

Have stayed in H.K. before so we didn't have to have a harbour view or be central.

There is a promo code to get 10% off the lowest rate with free buffet breakfast thrown in.

Thank you John Bull, it sounds like we made a good choice!

Can't wait for our cruise and visit to HK.

:)

BTW, if you have a harbour-view room ask for your room's radio to be tuned to the station which broadcasts the commentary/music with the nightly (8pm) laser show. And switch off your room lights.

Or I believe it's on loudspeakers along the Ave of Stars, the harbour-front walk between your hotel & the ferry terminal.

We watched it one night from our ship - no commentary/music, no atmosphere :(

Next night from our hotel room, accompanied by the radio. Magic :)

Super port-of-call, the only disappointment is the air pollution - a reminder of the London smog of the '50s/'60s & the LA haze of the '60s/'70s.

Edited by John Bull

Or I believe it's on loudspeakers along the Ave of Stars, the harbour-front walk between your hotel & the ferry terminal.

Ave of the Stars is closed for construction. You can still walk along the esplanade but there's a pedestrian detour around the construction in that area. So you can still get from Shangri-La to the ferry terminal (which was actually our ship dock as well) but it's not the same walk ;) You have to detour around museum construction as well, a little further down....

BTW, if you have a harbour-view room ask for your room's radio to be tuned to the station which broadcasts the commentary/music with the nightly (8pm) laser show. And switch off your room lights.

We watched it one night from our ship - no commentary/music, no atmosphere :(

Next night from our hotel room, accompanied by the radio. Magic :)

Super port-of-call, the only disappointment is the air pollution - a reminder of the London smog of the '50s/'60s & the LA haze of the '60s/'70s.

Oh wow! Thank you! That's really worth knowing and we'll bear it in mind. :)

Any high up view of the harbour is great for the show.

We have been there for Chinese New Year.

Let me know how the stay is at the Kowloon Shangri la as we have eaten dim sum there. We are doing the same cruise and thinking of staying next Xmas at the end of cruise.

Any high up view of the harbour is great for the show.

We have been there for Chinese New Year.

Let me know how the stay is at the Kowloon Shangri la as we have eaten dim sum there. We are doing the same cruise and thinking of staying next Xmas at the end of cruise.

I certainly will come back and post on here on our return next March (not long to go now, can't wait!) We are also staying there at the end of a cruise, I've never been to HK so it's going to be an experience!

Hands down-- if you have time to get in-- the YMCA right close to the ferry boats. Best location in Hong Kong. Views are wonderful. And prices are inexpensive. Good restaurant inside, too. When the Y was recommended to me, I said, "Say what?" But believe me! It's right next door to the priciest hotels in Hong Kong.

Hands down-- if you have time to get in-- the YMCA right close to the ferry boats. Best location in Hong Kong. Views are wonderful. And prices are inexpensive. Good restaurant inside, too. When the Y was recommended to me, I said, "Say what?" But believe me! It's right next door to the priciest hotels in Hong Kong.

Just to clarify, Grandma is talking about the Salisbury Hotel. It's owned by the YMCA, which shares some of the building - though you wouldn't notice cos its just like a regular 3+ star hotel. And a very good one.

I do wonder whether they could jack up their prices if they dropped the "YMCA" tag, which gives totally the wrong impression of back-packers in dormitories ;)

We stayed there in a harbour-view room (11th floor upwards, it's behind the space museum), it was excellent & exceptional value.

Yes, the location is perfect, a short stroll from the Tsim Sha Tsui cross-harbour Star Ferry terminal & the original cruise terminal and, in the opposite direction, the Nathan Road shops.

The Peninsula Hotel next door is the one with a fleet of Rolls-Royces. :cool:

We are booked at the Hotel Panorama by Rhombus in Kowloon for the 3 nights before our March cruise from Hong Kong. The price seemed good, the reviews were all very positive. I guess we will find out more in 8 weeks and leave some word here.

We stayed in the Panorama by Rhombus last month for 4nts. Worth booking direct with hotel for extra benefits e.g. included WiFi. Also I would only stay in a Club Executive room as we did. Good value. In particular if reading reviews request one of the corner ones as they have more floor area and better views. We had 3613. Great room! The area outside the hotel was manic and on an evening unless you knew which restaurant you wanted to eat at we found ourselves getting disoriented and struggling to find a place that looked appealing! The number of people out on the street on an evening really was unbelievable. As a Westerner you need to ignore all the tailor and watch salesman trying to get you into their shops. Friends who live in HK said we would have been better staying on HK Island as not as manic on an evening and we also found better restaurant choices. There are lots of the big hotels around the area where the Panorama by Rhombus is yet we did not see many Western tourists eating out locally, perhaps they just ate within their hotels? If you are sailing from Harbour City the taxi ride is about 15 mins from the Panorama...probably take this time walking with your luggage but not recommended. Azamara Cruises gave us printed address in Chinese of the drop point which helped the concierge obtain a taxi who could drop us right by the porters and luggage drop point. Make sure you are not dropped off outside the shopping mall! Felt safer overall in the city than I do in a UK city. The MTR is clean and easy to use.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Forums mobile app

I do wonder whether they could jack up their prices if they dropped the "YMCA" tag, which gives totally the wrong impression of back-packers in dormitories ;)

It would be a hard job for them to drop the YMCA tag, that's what all the locals, including the taxi drivers, know it as. Even the MRT signs just say YMCA.

We also stayed there and it was excellent. Such a great location and very comfortable. We'd certainly stay there again.

We are booked at the Hotel Panorama by Rhombus in Kowloon for the 3 nights before our March cruise from Hong Kong. The price seemed good, the reviews were all very positive. I guess we will find out more in 8 weeks and leave some word here.

We stayed at Hotel Panorama by Rhombus a few years ago (not on a cruise, just a holiday) and found the location to be very central, and easy to get to everywhere thanks to the underground walkways and the MTR.

[YOUTUBE]jH4DH75MxUQ[/YOUTUBE]

Yes, the area immediately outside the hotel can get a bit messy and chaotic, but hey, that's more like Hong Kong! In this video, we went to a nearby Macs to get some fast food for the kids.

[YOUTUBE]Z6emSHtgNmQ[/YOUTUBE]

Does anyone have any information on the Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers ... for 4 nights pre-cruise in November 17 ...

Are you a SPG member? Sheraton HK Hotel & Towers on Nathan & Salisbury Rd is well-established, been around for a long, long time and one of the dozens of classic, second tier to the Regents then (now, known as IC or Intercontinental) & next door to the New World Hotel & Residences (extended corporate stay) back in the 1980's - steps away from The Peninsula Hotel across the street and the Avenue of the Stars (closed till 2018) on the waterfront. Basic rooms are still roomy by HK standards today and all of them kept updated/modernized & meet/exceed what's expected of the brand set forth; and, most importantly, services - check/see pix & reviews on TripAdvisor ;) I stayed at the Nathan Hotel nearby once, TA booked me there and those rooms were micro-sized, about as big as inside/oceanviews on a cruise ship :eek: - had me running back to the Marriott & Conrad in mid-level over at Central on the island.

Harborview rooms are your front row seat to the nightly laser shows and holiday lights during X'mas, tuned to digitized stereo music in comfort. There are fine Chinese, Japanese & "Western" dining on-site but is no reason to not go out and explore, experience. Go past the "Penn" & the YMCA, you will discover the former landmarked HK Marine Police Barrack, now a heritage site with shops & dining.

October is the traditional, peak mainland-China tourism season with the national holiday so rates should be better/lower, except that now HKG is a popular cruise port and stop for ships calling, and, folks are staying pre- and post- sailing. If you like the rates & what you see, book it now on a fully refundable rate; and, continue to shop around.

Location-wise, it's around the corner/one block to the nearest MTR underground station entrance/exit @Tsim Sha Tsui, the A21 (limited stop) Airport Bus stopping on Nathan Road - also a block or 2 away (if you travel light, not tired after flying TPAC for 13 to 16 hours, etc.) - and, can manage your luggage (storage rack on lower level, upper deck for excellent views) boarding the double-decker air conditioned bus, assuming you are flying into HKIA (HKG) - the inexpensive 35 to 45 minutes bus ride is a "free" tour of the suburban towns, satellite high-rise cities, before coming into busy Kowloon. Or, take the Airport Express (train) to Kowloon Station in about 25 minutes, with free porter services, and transfer to the free shuttle bus to the hotel (1 of many routes) ... stopping at Nathan Road.

Star Ferry is a 5 minute walk for the short Victoria Harbour crossing - checkout the former HK Marine Police Barrack landmark, transformed into a heritage site with shops and dining on the way over to the Ocean Terminal (still used by smaller cruise ships ... since the 1960's) and spend half a day going thru all the inter-connecting indoor shopping malls (after a while, they all look the same - designer brands & boutiques, high end & expensive.) We used to shop & hunt for bargains, not anymore, with very little exception - prices at the outlet malls are higher than the same ones sold by Adidas here in the U.S.

Upon landing at the airport, pickup your Octopus Card after exiting immigration before reaching the big arrival "hall" - it's your magical card to get around town, pay for small purchases at most shops & stores for essentials and coffee/snacks/bottled water.

WiFi/broadband access isn't free at the Sheraton (unless ...) so you might want to pickup a prepaid Sim card designed for tourists on short stay, inexpensive & easy to activate, sold at the airport & 7-11, as well as the tourism/visitor center at the Star Ferry, as you will be there for 4 days. Depending on your cruise destination, select your Sim card with discounts for roaming as many have good rates at most Asia countries.

Mking8288,

Thank you for all your wonderful advice regarding HK. We have just returned from our Millie cruise and used all of your useful information :). The Octopus card was brilliant. We virtually did all our touring for a few pounds. The MRT was so easy to use and the station was right outside our hotel ;). We all want to return to HK ;). Thanks again :cool:.

Mking8288,

Thank you for the quick response and enllighting information. Yes, I am an SPG member and that is my primary reason for looking at this hotel. I intend to use points for the four days. SPG has a number of choices in Hong Kong so I wanted to pick one with a great location. Sounds like the Sheraton will work. Thanks again.

Duane

... The Octopus card was brilliant. We virtually did all our touring for a few pounds. The MRT was so easy to use and the station was right outside our hotel ;). We all want to return to HK ;). Thanks again :cool:.

Wonderful & delighted to hear everything works out. One Octopus card in hand and you almost don't need to worry about using local currency for things, aside from upscale dining and shopping for name brands, etc.

... SPG member and ... I intend to use points ...

Great, go get the complimentary internet access & room upgrade - among other SPG perks, ask for harbor view on the upper/higher floor. Dim Sum brunch inside the hotel is excellent and not crowded on weekdays.

As for the Nathan Hotel, that's fine & modern, good for families - I meant to say the sleek Kowloon Hotel being "compact & ultra-efficient" (both of these on Nathan Road, one is further north) where one can touch 2 walls and the window without getting out of bed. Hotel Panorama by Rhombus is another one getting very nice feedback.

Mking8288,

Thank you for the quick response and enllighting information. Yes, I am an SPG member and that is my primary reason for looking at this hotel. I intend to use points for the four days. SPG has a number of choices in Hong Kong so I wanted to pick one with a great location. Sounds like the Sheraton will work. Thanks again.

Duane

We'll be there next month for 3 nights in a Towers Club room with view...paid. We have status, so I wanted to assure a harbor view. But, looking for the double points on the first quarter SPG promotion, since this will be an expensive spend. I'll try to come back and report how we liked it.

PLeased to see Mking's report, since I was also trying to decide between the different SPG properties. THx Mking.

The following link my help those that have not been to Hong Kong before:

https://migrationology.com/travel-guides/hong-kong/

Thank you for posting that link!!!! He has done a number of videos for cities (Ho Chi Minh, Kuala Lumpur and Seoul, in addition to Hong Kong) which we will be visiting next month. I spent most of the day enjoying them (and watching him eat his way through SE Asia and Asia.) And, not only that, it forced this non techy to finally use one of the smart apps on the TV!!!:) Now to figure out how to try most of the foods he tried in our short time in each city!