Gratuity charge on platinum perk dinner

calmpets

I just read a review that stated the voucher for the free platinum perk dinner now indicates that you will be charged gratuity. Has anyone else experienced that? I'm sailing at the beginning of December on the Epic, and would like to know what to expect, as my traveling companion is platinum. Thanks in advance for any info on this!

Yes!

NCL is the only place in the Universe where 18% of $0 is some number greater than $0.

NCL math! Hooray!

But the servers who waited on you deserve to be tipped. They depend on those tips to support themselves and their families.

That being said, I was not charged a gratuity on my Platinum dinner on the Escape in September

Edited by Lido_Deck

But the servers who waited on you deserve to be tipped. They depend on those tips to support themselves and their families.

That being said, I was not charged a gratuity on my Platinum dinner on the Escape in September

I always tip them as they are excellent, but they are also receive the DSC.

I'm quite capable of tipping on my own without being taxed by NCL, thank you. Spare me the "poor hard working crew" drivel.

They deserve to be paid a living wage.

And if a perk is free, there shouldn't be a gratuity charged on it, NCL should pay it.

(We typically add an extra tip in the specialty venues, but the idea of NCL adding its own gratuity to a freebie is absurd.)

All that said, no one so far has confirmed this is being done on this perk. (Yes, I know they are doing it with the "free" beverage package...)

We will be sailing as Platinum for the first time in January. I guess I'll see for myself.

Edited by Turtles06

They deserve to be paid a living wage.

And if a perk is free, there shouldn't be a gratuity charged on it, NCL should pay it.

(We typically add an extra tip in the specialty venues, but the idea of NCL adding its own gratuity to a freebie is absurd.)

All that said, no one so far has confirmed this is being done on this perk. (Yes, I know they are doing it with the "free" beverage package...)

We will be sailing as Platinum for the first time in January. I guess I'll see for myself.

Please define "living wage"...in the Philippines.

actually Specialty Restaurant staff are NOT included in the DSC

sent using Forums mobile app

Why are they not, it's only the concierge and the butlers that do not participate in the DSC. The servers in the specialty restaurants don't only serve there. One of the servers we had in the Haven was serving at Cagney's in the evening and had to leave half way through our meal to serve in O'Sheehan's. So why wouldn't he participate in the DSC.

Why are they not, it's only the concierge and the butlers that do not participate in the DSC. The servers in the specialty restaurants don't only serve there. One of the servers we had in the Haven was serving at Cagney's in the evening and had to leave half way through our meal to serve in O'Sheehan's. So why wouldn't he participate in the DSC.

Specialty Restaurant staff are covered by the 18% Gratuity charge..... they and several other groups of workers (youth programs, butlers, bar staff, spa, etc) are not covered by the DSC.

Here is the Gratuity FAQ:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

Here is the DSC FAQ:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

NCL's thought (and I agree) is that those passengers who choose to partake in non-complimentary services should be required to contribute to those gratuities....... all complimentary services are open to everyone so everyone pays their equal share to DSC.

The waiter you had in Haven and then at OSheehan's is prorated based on hours worked at each place (maybe 48% gratuity pool and 52% DSC pool)

Edited by esm54687

We just returned from the Breakaway. No extra charge for a tip. We were given a receipt that was zeroed out. It was up to us to leave a tip if we wanted to.

We believe in doing it for good service in any restaurant. It is up to every person to decide for themselves.

Oct on Epic - no charge. However I had 2 Cosmopolitans and saw a charge of $21 after the dinner. Went back to LeBistro and they said you ordered Cirroc Cosmo. I did not if I had do they really cost $25 ea as that is what it would have to be with UBP??? I'll never really know what the charge really was but they removed it from my bill.

We have never been charged it either, but haven't sailed in about a year. We will see, as we board the Epic Saturday. I truthfully would expect to be charged 18% but if not we will leave a tip.

Yes!

NCL is the only place in the Universe where 18% of $0 is some number greater than $0.

NCL math! Hooray!

Are you saying that If you had a free coupon for a meal at a land based restaurant that you would leave without leaving a tip? I would hope not. Any time something is discounted you are expected to still tip on the regular price.

Was on the Gem early October....was not charged gratuity on Platinum dinner..BUT..it id clearly say on voucher that it would be added to my onboard account..which it was NOT..

I was on the same cruise as jaja and brought a third guest with me when I used my Plat perk. I WAS charged 18% on the entire bill minus my choices. It was fine by me and I left an additional tip. Our attentive waitress was very helpful with helping us select wine. A lovely meal all around....:)

Specialty Restaurant staff are covered by the 18% Gratuity charge..... they and several other groups of workers (youth programs, butlers, bar staff, spa, etc) are not covered by the DSC.

Here is the Gratuity FAQ:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

Here is the DSC FAQ:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

NCL's thought (and I agree) is that those passengers who choose to partake in non-complimentary services should be required to contribute to those gratuities....... all complimentary services are open to everyone so everyone pays their equal share to DSC.

The waiter you had in Haven and then at OSheehan's is prorated based on hours worked at each place (maybe 48% gratuity pool and 52% DSC pool)

More NCL brainwashing! For the past 20 years (or however many years NCL has had specialties) they were included in the DSC. Not until NCL started "giving away" free specialty offers did they change it. Why, no one knows because the same waiters in the specialties also work the buffet, MDR, O'S, and the list goes on.

Stop believing everything you are told by NCL, think once in a while, that's what your brain is for.

I just read a review that stated the voucher for the free platinum perk dinner now indicates that you will be charged gratuity. Has anyone else experienced that? I'm sailing at the beginning of December on the Epic, and would like to know what to expect, as my traveling companion is platinum. Thanks in advance for any info on this!

Way to stay classy, NCL :rolleyes: