The upgrade fairy does exist!!

So just got off a call with the upgrade fairy. We booked and interior for the 27th of this month back earlier this year on Liberty of the Seas. A few months back we took advantage of the kids sail free deal and rebooked to an ocean view room and they had to refund us $280. Today while I am in the pickup line at school to get my daughter the upgrade fairy called and we are now in a D1 balcony for only $100 more. We are still $180 ahead of our original booking. So if anyone wants to know if it can happen, all i can say is yes it can!!! :D

So just got off a call with the upgrade fairy. We booked and interior for the 27th of this month back earlier this year on Liberty of the Seas. A few months back we took advantage of the kids sail free deal and rebooked to an ocean view room and they had to refund us $280. Today while I am in the pickup line at school to get my daughter the upgrade fairy called and we are now in a D1 balcony for only $100 more. We are still $180 ahead of our original booking. So if anyone wants to know if it can happen, all i can say is yes it can!!! :D

Congratulations on having a visit from the "Up Grade" fairy's big sister the "Up Sell" fairy.....Enjoy that $180.00 :D

Just upgraded to a JS for $0! Wahoo!!

My only "regret" was upgrading from an OV to a balcony too soon. I misunderstood the price they quoted - she kept switching between total cost and room cost, and by the time I figured it out, she had already moved us and I was paying more than I thought. But I decided chances were good JSs would open up, and I'd be happy if I could get a JS for my new price. Well, if I had just been patient..... the JS is now less than I paid for the balcony, although not by much. So....lesson learned to be patient. Overall, I'm still a happy camper. :D

Great deal! Enjoy your balcony with the kids!

Sounds like the description of an up-sell rather than a true up-grade. You are paying for a new cabin, even if it's not much. You can check the price of your sailing on the RC website daily and look for these up-sells and call. Sometimes the new price might be for new bookings, but not always.

Booked a balcony cabin as a solo on the Serenade earlier this year. At check in received a no charge upgrade to a junior suite. That's what I call an upgrade; it was very much appreciated.

People who are getting these upgrades, did you book "guarantee" type staterooms? Is that how it works?

We did not book a guarantee room. I just kept an eye on the website and watched the prices drop. My only regret is I acted too fast on upgrading from OV to Balcony. Would have saved a little if I waited. But if the next class up is less than or equal to what you paid, you can upgrade at no additional cost.

I have no idea how they decide who will get a call from the cruise line.

We did not book a guarantee room. I just kept an eye on the website and watched the prices drop. My only regret is I acted too fast on upgrading from OV to Balcony. Would have saved a little if I waited. But if the next class up is less than or equal to what you paid, you can upgrade at no additional cost.

I have no idea how they decide who will get a call from the cruise line.

Good to know, thank you! Sounds like you guys just lucked out! :)

Good to know, thank you! Sounds like you guys just lucked out! :)

Probably not so much luck as we picked an unpopular cruise. Many of the cruises around our date on Enchantment are going cheap. Not my favorite class of ship, but we wanted a short cruise and the dates worked for us. Plus we could get to Florida on air miles. Sure wish I lived close enough to take advantage of last-minute deals. Generally, the price you pay is going to depend on the popularity of the cruise.

Is it always necessary to distinguish between an upgrade and upsell fairy? I don't understand why people on here feel the need to point this out.

The OP said she paid more so to "upgrade" to a better cabin. Obviously she wasn't trying to hide that fact.

An upgrade is a room better than you had before whether at a cost or not. In this case, the cost was probably less than a new booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it always necessary to distinguish between an upgrade and upsell fairy? I don't understand why people on here feel the need to point this out.

The OP said she paid more so to "upgrade" to a better cabin. Obviously she wasn't trying to hide that fact.

An upgrade is a room better than you had before whether at a cost or not. In this case, the cost was probably less than a new booking.

Thank you! Sometimes paying just a few dollars more for something that would have cost you much more had you booked it earlier can be very exciting.

Some people still feel shortchanged when offered a good deal just because it isn't free. I'm glad you got such an awesome room, and enjoy your cruise!

I think the problem is that people are reacting to partial information. Trust me, I always want a free upgrade! :D What most people don't know is what someone paid for a room they are trading up. So, someone who got a steal on their original cabin and paid to upgrade could really be spending less that someone who paid a premium for their original room and got upgraded "free." Most people don't take that in to consideration. So for me personally, I keep an eye on pricing and have an idea of what I'm willing to pay for a room. :cool:

I guess because the term "upgrade fairy" usually means a free upgrade to many people, hence "fairy" as if it were something special or you were singled out. I pointed it out so that people know they can check for an "up sell" any time and pay for an upgrade to a better cabin, unless the price is for new bookings only.

Technically an upgrade and an upsell offer are different procedures.

An upgrade is free and done by Crown & Anchor department for selected members, in most cases with a higher status.

An upsell offer is provided by the cruise sales department in case the ship has many vacant cabins in higher categories. It always costs money but is a good bargain for customers. I believe they do this calls only in North America, does not happen in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To me the upgrade fairy is the most rare creature on earth, and she grants

you that wish without even knowing it is happening! :eek: She blessed me

just once, and it was a total surprise and shock...but much appreciated! :D

Have many times been my own "upsell fairy" simply by watching the pricing

on my booked cruises. Have taken discounts off my fare, and have upgraded

to higher cats after final payment date.

Those of us that have met both fairies...know the difference. ;)

Exactly and judging by the continued explanations they've missed that we get the difference, but the point of your post was to say, why must the difference be pointed out every.single.time a poster calls it one or the other? It was some random person here at some random time in the past anyway that decided you weren't allowed to call it an upgrade if you paid for it. :rolleyes:

OP, happy for you. Enjoy that cabin and have a great trip.

What I would like to point out is, yes you can usually upgrade rooms based on availability even after final payment. But a call from the upsell fairy will usually yield a better deal than this, as they will be more motivated to fill rooms of a certain category and open up those of a lower category. (which are easier to fill because they are cheaper, these are the deals last second cruisers get).

I would welcome the upsell fairy to get a better deal to hop up to a nicer room than i can get on my own.

What I would like to point out is, yes you can usually upgrade rooms based on availability even after final payment. But a call from the upsell fairy will usually yield a better deal than this, as they will be more motivated to fill rooms of a certain category and open up those of a lower category. (which are easier to fill because they are cheaper, these are the deals last second cruisers get).

I would welcome the upsell fairy to get a better deal to hop up to a nicer room than i can get on my own.

I was afraid to wait for the call - afraid they would call someone else instead. I've never gotten a call before, but have only been on four cruises.