Dress Code - No Jeans policy

NeilP57

We were on the Viking Sky last month. I specifically asked the restaurant manager, Angela, if jeans were allowed in the Restaurant and specialty restaurants for dinner. She said yes. The suggested attire is smart casual, but the only thing prohibited is shorts.

After reading all this, I am thinking of cancelling my 2019 cruise to Alaska. I was planning on taking my neice, who will only be 21. I will be 51. We just did a Carribean cruise with Regent, and that was our main complaint. Well, that and the few snobs we encountered!

I think for me they ask for collared shirts at night--but that was not enforced on our cruise in December 2016. Saw lots of jeans in the dining room too. I would think Alaska would be pretty casual too. Don't cancel.

Flagirl13, thanks! I think I'll do just that.

Lackcreativity, I should have elaborated. We both enjoy dressing up occasionally, just didn't like feeling like unless we did, we should have to order room service. Lol, but sometimes after a long day on excursions​ in the heat neither of us felt like doing the whole makeup and hair routine.

Living in Hawaii I only wear shorts. I was hoping on my 2 upcoming Viking cruises jeans would be ok. I also tend to push the limits of what I can get away with.

If I was in charge it would be shorts only in the restaurant.

if they ever change to jackets and ties i don't think I could do it.

Flagirl13, thanks! I think I'll do just that.

Lackcreativity, I should have elaborated. We both enjoy dressing up occasionally, just didn't like feeling like unless we did, we should have to order room service. Lol, but sometimes after a long day on excursions​ in the heat neither of us felt like doing the whole makeup and hair routine.

I don't think you will have to worry about the heat on your upcoming cruise! Hope you enjoy Viking as much as we did.

Brad1185 - my husband tried to wear shorts into the restaurant for breakfast one morning. We were planning on leaving the ship right after breakfast. They were nice pressed shorts, but he was turned away and had to change! Maybe you'll have better luck!

Brad1185 - my husband tried to wear shorts into the restaurant for breakfast one morning. We were planning on leaving the ship right after breakfast. They were nice pressed shorts, but he was turned away and had to change! Maybe you'll have better luck!

Strange. I thought the no shorts was dinner only for the MDR. But they are acceptable in the World Cafe so no need to change, just go up to the to the buffet (if you don't mind a buffet breakfast).

"Ties and jackets are optional" - can anyone give me an idea of what proportion of men do wear jackets and/or ties to dinner on Viking Ocean cruises?

We're on Viking Sea, 20 Nov. I'd rather not bother with a jacket or tie, sticking to smart chinos and a collar shirt, but don't want to be in a small minority.

Based on a Carib cruise in December, I would guess less then 20% wore a jacket and tie in the restaurants and far less in the World Cafe. You definitely will not be out of place without a tie or jacket. They are lenient about jeans if you are neatly dressed, ie a shirt with a collar. Tee shirts, shorts and hats would be out of place in the restaurants. This cruise had a large European contingent and by the end of the cruise the jackets and ties were probably less than 10%

Very few folks wearing jackets at dinner. However you would not be out of place wearing a jacket either. A few people wearing nice jeans and a collared shirt to dinner but most are wearing slacks as requested. Viking is quite informal compared to Silversea which mandates jackets for dinner

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the river cruises, in the MDR for dinner, I wore very nice crop pants with coordinating tops and sandals. So, from what you all are saying, I can't wear those in the MDR?

Of course you can. Crop pants are not shorts. Your outfit of choice will be just fine for dinner or any other meal.

Of course you can. Crop pants are not shorts. Your outfit of choice will be just fine for dinner or any other meal.

Thanks , Peregrina! I was getting worried after reading all these posts. It sounds like I could possibly offend some people on the ship by wearing crop pants at night. I'm very hot-natured so unless it is really cold, crop pants (and shorts during the day) are my clothes of choice. However, in the past river cruises, we ate all our meals in the dining room and hope/plan to eat there again on our first Viking ocean cruise.

Thanks , Peregrina! I was getting worried after reading all these posts. It sounds like I could possibly offend some people on the ship by wearing crop pants at night. I'm very hot-natured so unless it is really cold, crop pants (and shorts during the day) are my clothes of choice. However, in the past river cruises, we ate all our meals in the dining room and hope/plan to eat there again on our first Viking ocean cruise.

Except for the "no shorts" rule, dress in the dining room is very laid back, even in the cooler climates. Most people dress to please themselves and really don't care what anyone else thinks. I certainly don't. There was one older couple on our last cruise who really dressed up for dinners. He was in a double-breasted suit and she was perfectly coiffed and made-up and sporting the family jewels. And there they sat each night, just the two of them. I never once saw them share a table and I never once saw them crack a smile or even talk with one another. Even among the other men in jackets, this couple really stood out in the crowd (well at least to me).

Don't worry about offending other people by your style of dress. That is a personal choice and no one else's business but your own.

Except for the "no shorts" rule, dress in the dining room is very laid back, even in the cooler climates. Most people dress to please themselves and really don't care what anyone else thinks. I certainly don't. There was one older couple on our last cruise who really dressed up for dinners. He was in a double-breasted suit and she was perfectly coiffed and made-up and sporting the family jewels. And there they sat each night, just the two of them. I never once saw them share a table and I never once saw them crack a smile or even talk with one another. Even among the other men in jackets, this couple really stood out in the crowd (well at least to me).

Don't worry about offending other people by your style of dress. That is a personal choice and no one else's business but your own.

Thank you. I will pack dress pants as well as crop pants, not knowing what the temperature will be. It's nice to have a choice! ☺

I am on the last day of our Homelands cruise right now. I have only seen one man wearing a coat and tie and that was last night at the buffet. There are tons of jean wearing people on this cruise and I love it. The part about designer jeans only is bonkers, too. I think cruise critic members idea of proper dress is in minority. I haven't noticed one person bat an eye at another's style of dress. Many are dressed nicely. Others in jeans and a nice shirt.

I am on the last day of our Homelands cruise right now. I have only seen one man wearing a coat and tie and that was last night at the buffet. There are tons of jean wearing people on this cruise and I love it. The part about designer jeans only is bonkers, too. I think cruise critic members idea of proper dress is in minority. I haven't noticed one person bat an eye at another's style of dress. Many are dressed nicely. Others in jeans and a nice shirt.

Thanks for sharing! That's good to know! I'm taking the Homeland Cruise in July. How was it??

I can't believe it's your last day! I hope you had a fantastic trip. I followed your research. We are doing this trip in July. Thank you for live updates! Safe trip home! :)

Jiminy I agree...nobody cares what you wear!!! And even for as many cruises as I've been on I succumbed and packed too much. Next time I won't! A lot of it came home without being worn...

So glad you had a great time. Welcome home! Seems like you just left yesterday...

stretchcruz. we over packed as well. We always over pack. You think we would learn. Nope.

We went so far as to avoid the restaurant because of the fear of what people said about the dress attire. It's too bad that CC does that to some.

I paid attention in port to what locals wear because of the jean talk on CC. I read a post on Trip Advisor once that said they chuckle over the jean discussions when it comes to the advice not to wear jeans in public while touring. The poster said she found it funny and wondered what people think they do wear. That statement made me people watch, LOL. You will find locals in jeans but you also find them dressed very nicely.

Yes, jiminyC_fan, agree with jeans but did you notice shoes? Almost no sneakers and even if locals wear them, they are elegant kind. As for packing, I like to have a choice and I do love nice shoes...lol. So two large suitcases for us ;)

Everyone I saw was in jeans and down jackets. My brother makes fun of me and my down jackets (I live in AZ) but I took many pictures and I was in the majority. People on their days off or just wandering about had on jeans. People working had on nicer clothes. And they had on sneakers as well. I don't worry about that kind of stuff. And next time I'm not going to worry about my onboard dress.