Dress Code - No Jeans policy

NeilP57

Yes, I'm 59 years old and I was probably in the youngest 2% of the passengers on Viking Star during my cruise. The youngest passenger I saw was somewhere around 40, and the median passenger age was probably pretty close to 70.

It seems pretty clear that Viking is not trying to be everything to everyone... and is instead focusing on a particular niche of experienced, older cruisers.

That's not to say that an under-40 first time cruiser would not enjoy a Viking cruise, but I think they would like the entertainment much more on one of the big cruise lines. The music, dancing, stage shows, and the general pace of the evening's entertainment are all better suited to the 55+ demographic.

I fear I have been completely misunderstood. When I mentioned our age, it was because of this discussion earlier in the thread, where ages were specifically discussed.

Glad you all had a good chuckle. :D

We recently received our cruise docs for our February cruise and the wording on the dress code is as follows:

There are no "formal nights" in the evening; evening dress is "elegant casual" for restaurants, performances or special events. On these occasions, suggested attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt are required in all evening venues after 6:00 PM. A tie and jacket are optional, not required.

Is this discriminatory? For ladies the attire is "suggested" while for gentlemen the attire is "required"?

There is no specific mention of jeans, one way or another, in relation to evening attire.

Confusion: In the first sentence it mentions only restaurants, performances or special events. In the second sentence it states all evening venues. What are the venues exactly? Someone earlier in this thread said something about the Atrium, but that is a huge space with several levels and one that has to be passed through often to get to various locations including the gym and spa (and my own cabin!). Is the entire Atrium an "evening venue"? What if you want to run up to Mamsen's just for a quick sweet treat? Or to the coffee bar on Deck 1?

Can someone from Viking please clarify this issue.

The personalised cruise booklet that I received a few weeks ago showing all my booked excursions and other information, makes no mention of the no jeans policy in the evening, under the dress code section. The FAQ's on the website make no mention of a no jeans policy, so it will come as a surprise to many when they read it in the Viking Daily.

Maybe I will take some jeans after all.......

Neil

We disembarked the Viking Sea on January 8 and I just read over the Dailies from our Mediterranean cruise and nowhere in any of them did I see where it addressed the dress code for dinner let alone a no jeans policy.

We recently received our cruise docs for our February cruise and the wording on the dress code is as follows:

There are no "formal nights" in the evening; evening dress is "elegant casual" for restaurants, performances or special events. On these occasions, suggested attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt are required in all evening venues after 6:00 PM. A tie and jacket are optional, not required.

Is this discriminatory? For ladies the attire is "suggested" while for gentlemen the attire is "required"?

There is no specific mention of jeans, one way or another, in relation to evening attire.

Confusion: In the first sentence it mentions only restaurants, performances or special events. In the second sentence it states all evening venues. What are the venues exactly? Someone earlier in this thread said something about the Atrium, but that is a huge space with several levels and one that has to be passed through often to get to various locations including the gym and spa (and my own cabin!). Is the entire Atrium an "evening venue"? What if you want to run up to Mamsen's just for a quick sweet treat? Or to the coffee bar on Deck 1?

Can someone from Viking please clarify this issue.

The Atrium is neutral territory and has no dress code unless you planning on hanging out there. Half the ship passes through it on their way to the spa dressed in robe and slippers or gym clothing so what you wear in the evening on the way to Mamsen or the coffee bar will not be an issue; it just can't be avoided. In spite of what people say on the dress code threads, I have found that most people just don't care what you are wearing as long as you aren't buck naked.

As for Viking "enforcing" rules, it seems they have decided that we are adults and don't need to be policed. They have stated their dress policy and expect that we will be respectful of others and observe it. They will enforce in extreme situations only (like a gentleman showing up to Manfredi's in a bathrobe). Thank you, Viking, for treating us like mature adults and not school children.

Edited by Peregrina651

To me "evening venues" is simply shorthand for referring to the three venues listed earlier. What you wear in the evening elsewhere on the ship is up to you including folding clothes in the laundry room. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CharTrav

• 1 month later...

I have only been on one cruise (in the 80s); we still chuckle about getting all dolled up for "fancy night" in our sparkles and heels. We queued up behind a man wearing tired grey gym sweats and a shirt more suitable for mowing the lawn.

Where my husband golfs, collared shirts are a must. It seems silly to me -- he could wear a frayed, faded collared shirt, but not his favorite slightly dressy no-collar shirt?

I am glad I read this thread -- we had no idea that even tidy jeans were now a no-no at dinner.

I would not worry about the dress code. We just got off the ship yesterday (West Indies cruise) and the dress code was very casual. One night when we were eating at Manfredi's we struck up a conversation with some people at the next table....one was a Viking employee and she was wearing a very casual outfit and tennis shoes. In the World Café people wore shorts and sandals. I don't think anyone will care what you wear. I saw dressy and very casual in all the restaurants.

I would not worry about the dress code.

Good point. I am a hobby photographer and am often grubbing around on the ground, so might wear jeans during the day, but likely wouldn't wear them at dinner anyway.

And, frankly, if folks are reasonably clean and private parts are covered, I do not care what people wear.

I just noticed this is Viking Ocean -- does anyone know if the "no jeans" policy applies to Viking River?

Taken 3 Viking river cruises. I doubt that there is a no jeans policy.

I MAY have worn decent jeans to dinner, although I doubt it as I pack 2 pair of dinner pants.

River cruises seem informal.

Only place I ever saw someone stopped was with Silverseas (Ocean) where they enforced the jacket for dinner requirement.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Viking Ocean's Star in February cruising the West Indies Explorer. The first night and subsequent nights we saw jeans ( some raggedy too) in the Dining room. After the 2nd night in the dining room I questioned it because their rules say "eloquent casual" and the Supervisor because snapped at me saying they are allowed . I have a problem with that in the Main Dining area ( The world cafe had no issues with jeans, so that is an outlet if they choose), to have everyone at our table show up and then have a guy with old blue jeans sit down with us disturbs me . Later in the week I saw Tee Shirts in the main dining. Viking should get a stronger message out with their dress code.

Although we didn't notice anyone wearing jeans at all on our cruise on Viking Sea in November, it wouldn't bother me. I prefer dressing up a bit for dinner, but if others can afford the cruise they can wear what they want to dinner. Some people dress beautifully and behave badly...that bothers me more than what they wear.

Mickey P, sorry you were disappointed that blue jeans were acceptable. I am wondering if the supervisor didn't like the" tattle tale" approach and snapped. If jeans are acceptable again then maybe it is a tiresome subject.

I just don't see how blue jeans could affect affect someones dining experience. I think meeting new friends while dining and the food itself is more important than what someone else is wearing under the table.

Edited by jiminyC_fan

Jeans imho are just not acceptable after 6.00 p.m. on a cruise. Viking have superb, elegant ships which deserve well dressed passengers. As for t shirts - pool side only and leave the baseball caps at home. The cruise line should clearly define the dress code and police it. Those who are unhappy should find a cruise line which suits them.

Jeans imho are just not acceptable after 6.00 p.m. on a cruise. Viking have superb, elegant ships which deserve well dressed passengers. As for t shirts - pool side only and leave the baseball caps at home. The cruise line should clearly define the dress code and police it. Those who are unhappy should find a cruise line which suits them.

Didn't see any Viking policy restricting T shirts from common areas to pool side only? :o

FWIW (nothing) I would not wear jeans to Restaurant unless somehow all my slacks were stolen or some disaster befell them.

Ironic last sentence above.

Didn't see any Viking policy restricting T shirts from common areas to pool side only? :o

From the FAQs, on dress code: evening dress (after 6:00 PM) is “elegant casual” such as a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for ladies; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt are required in all evening dining venues. Ties and jackets are optional.

Save

If there is a policy that blue jeans are not permitted at night time venues then people should adhere to that policy. However, I have been on other cruises where both women and men come to these venues with 50 lbs of excess fat hanging over their shorts and pants - completely disgusting. I am not picking on overweight people - I am picking on overweight people who flaunt that excess weight. Or there are others that are not wearing blue jeans but are wearing pants and shirts with food stains on them. Given the choice of sitting across from: person A who is wearing fashionable jeans and a nice pullover shirt or blouse or person B not knowing how to dress when they are very much overweight or person C with messy clothes. Alex, I'll take person A for 200!

• 2 months later...

After reading all this, I am thinking of cancelling my 2019 cruise to Alaska. I was planning on taking my neice, who will only be 21. I will be 51. We just did a Carribean cruise with Regent, and that was our main complaint. Well, that and the few snobs we encountered!

If there is a policy that blue jeans are not permitted at night time venues then people should adhere to that policy. However, I have been on other cruises where both women and men come to these venues with 50 lbs of excess fat hanging over their shorts and pants - completely disgusting. I am not picking on overweight people - I am picking on overweight people who flaunt that excess weight. Or there are others that are not wearing blue jeans but are wearing pants and shirts with food stains on them. Given the choice of sitting across from: person A who is wearing fashionable jeans and a nice pullover shirt or blouse or person B not knowing how to dress when they are very much overweight or person C with messy clothes. Alex, I'll take person A for 200!

Let me take a wild guess, I bet you're one of those who runs everyday and goes to a gym and watches those who are overweight, trying to get in shape. Ok, first, I'm 188 pounds, I can't lose weight because I injured my leg and can't walk, let alone exercise. I just started to use a walker because although my tests show tendon and muscle injury the doctors don't know why. And I'm also one if those who no matter how hard I try, I will spill, sauce, coffee, etc on my shirts. So before you judge, how about looking in the mirror

After reading all this, I am thinking of cancelling my 2019 cruise to Alaska. I was planning on taking my neice, who will only be 21. I will be 51. We just did a Carribean cruise with Regent, and that was our main complaint. Well, that and the few snobs we encountered!

Don't even think about canceling your cruise. We are also doing Alaska in 2019 and I don't let a few outspoken people ruin any of my fun. I don't wear jeans but certainly don't care if someone does, if I even notice at all. I'm too busy enjoying myself to worry about what other people are wearing (wish everyone could be like that). Go have a great cruise, do what you want, and remember, their opinions don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am not sure what you mean when you say "that was our main complaint"? Are you talking about being asked not to wear jeans in the specialty restaurants and the main dining room? The World Cafe and the Aquavit Terrace both allow casual dress. Have you asked your niece her opinion? Perhaps she might enjoy a chance to get a little bit more dressed up for something special.

The Viking standard is far from a formal/dressy requirement. We did not see men in jackets, no ties, and nary a sequin in sight. There were some women in skirts and simple dresses (myself included), but mostly women wore slacks. On the nights we didn't want to change, we ate in the World Cafe. The food there is just as good as the restaurant, with the same wonderful level of service we found throughout the ship.

I do agree that some of the posters in this thread have been more than a little heavy handed in their responses. Fortunately, we have not yet run across that type of rudeness on either of our Viking cruises.

Don't even think about canceling your cruise. We are also doing Alaska in 2019 and I don't let a few outspoken people ruin any of my fun. I don't wear jeans but certainly don't care if someone does, if I even notice at all. I'm too busy enjoying myself to worry about what other people are wearing (wish everyone could be like that). Go have a great cruise, do what you want, and remember, their opinions don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hear! Hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums