The cruise ship left me?!

eazy91

Hypothetical situation:

Day 5 of 7 cruise to the western bahammas and you land in good ol Cozumel for a fun filled day in the sun. You get off of the ship and do your shopping/excursions. You return hours before the cruise ship is designated to leave to find that the cruise ship is gone.

There was a medical emergency on board the ship that caused the ship to have to depart early.

What are the next steps?

Your medical emergency scenario is just not possible (as others have explained) but yes, there have been some rare times when a ship left passengers stranded in a port. The most likely scenario would be some kind of unexpected weather event that forced a ship to pull out of a port for the safety of the vessel. In such a scenario the cruise line, working through its local Agent, would mobilize local resources to greet returning passengers (at the port) and provide appropriate guidance and help. What would ultimately happen would depend on the actual circumstances, but the stranded passengers would be accommodated and either taken to a future port (to meet the ship) or returned home (via other means such as air). In the case of a Closed Loop cruise where some stranded passengers did not have a Passport, the cruise line would work with the US Department of State to obtain the necessary waivers necessary to get the passengers back into the USA. So, at worst, the passengers would be inconvenienced, but would be ultimately returned home....safe and sound. Not to worry.

The more likely scenario is that a passenger misses their ship (due to their own fault) and gets stranded in a port. The local Agent would represent the cruise line's interests, but the stranded passenger may well be on their own (financially) to get through the hassles of catching the ship or getting home. This could be quite expensive, and, if the passenger(s) do not have a valid Passport...could involve several days of delays (while stuck in the port city) until the passengers could arrange to get emergency Passports from the nearest US Consul. This can be a real hassle which is why most experienced travelers would not dream of leaving the USA without a valid Passport.

The First Step if left stranded is to contact the cruise line's local Agent....which is info given to all passengers in their daily info or port info. That will have the name, address, and phone number of the Agent...which is something everyone should carry ashore. Otherwise, one might have to rely on the local Police, or a phone call to the cruise line's Offices in the USA, to get help.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I recall that (leaving ahead of schedule) did happen with a Princess ship, in Alaska, I believe. Weather conditions affecting the low tide time was rapidly approaching, and the Captain determined it to be necessary to get the ship out while he still could. There were pax on excursions that were not able to get back in time, so Princess arranged for hotel rooms for them and the next day flew them to the next port to rejoin the ship.

I recall reading about a ship that left a Caribbean port early because of a storm. A large number of passengers were left behind. They had to fight for compensation for expenses, but the cruise line paid out in the end

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

sloopsailor - love your reply and picture! :D

I do remember that Carnival Victory and a RC Serenade of the Seas had to leave San Juan early due to a hurricane. Their normal departure times were at night (Victory 10:00PM & Serenade of the Seas 8:30PM). San Juan was the embarkation port for both ships. I just looked it up and found that article. It was Hurricane Irene in 2011...attaching link to the article:

http://overheadbin.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/08/24/7463689-450-cruise-passengers-stranded-in-hurricane-irenes-wake

Edited by pghsteelerfan

It would be an extremely rare event if a cruise ship left the port before its scheduled departure time.

It did happen a few years, ago, when there was a fire at the port and the ship had to leave, because it was not safe to stay.

On another occasion here in New Zealand, the cruise ship left port and went out to sea during a tsunami warning. It was able to return to port later, to pick up passengers.

Just assume the worst. ALWAYS...always carry a Photocopy of your Passports and that Name/Address Ph# card for the Ship's agent for that particular country; almost nobody does, but we do. We take our Credit Card, Meds, and IPhone too.

If your ship leaves a Port early the Cruise Line...Holland America in our cases....will leave someone behind to handle the chaos. Tsunami's, Terrorist attacks, hurricanes can and DO happen. Have a wad of US $$Dollars and patience. Once, 400 of us were taken to the next country by Charter Motorcoaches.(Free Tour!!). In other case we hired a Rent-a-Car and drove to next Port on our own. In 3rd case we were stranded at end of the Cruise by a Volcano eruption...5-days on RedCross cots with no luggage; so never say never.... LocoLoco1

Hypothetical situation:

Day 5 of 7 cruise to the western bahammas and you land in good ol Cozumel for a fun filled day in the sun. You get off of the ship and do your shopping/excursions. You return hours before the cruise ship is designated to leave to find that the cruise ship is gone.

There was a medical emergency on board the ship that caused the ship to have to depart early.

What are the next steps?

Would never happen, in that you would not be left alone. IF the ship had to leave early, they would leave crew to assist all of the passengers that were left behind.

Edited by zqvol

Would never happen, in that you would not be left alone. IF the ship had to leave early, they would leave crew to assist all of the passengers that were left behind.

Not necessarily "crew", in fact it would almost certainly not be crew - lines retain port agents at all ports of call to handle miscellaneous matters - and they would be knowledgeable about the port and the general procedures for assisting stranded passengers; and any crew member sufficiently dispensable to be left behind would hardly be capable of dealing with the multiple facets involved in assisting stranded passengers.

Not necessarily "crew", in fact it would almost certainly not be crew - lines retain port agents at all ports of call to handle miscellaneous matters - and they would be knowledgeable about the port and the general procedures for assisting stranded passengers; and any crew member sufficiently dispensable to be left behind would hardly be capable of dealing with the multiple facets involved in assisting stranded passengers.

You have it about right...as I recall from our 'Early Anchor Aweigh' situations. One time, several crew members were also stranded ashore with us Pax. Local police assisted. Port Agent reps. arrived with updates for us every 1/2 hour. Local food vendors/Cantinas got cleaned out. 4/hrs later Plan 'A' was in full swing. Another instance was far more complicated, but all much ado about nothing for 99% of us; the others we ignored. LocoLoco1

The scenario posited by the OP is not a viable reason but there are others that could cause the ship's master to leave port early.

On one of my cruises the daily newspaper had a message that due to x, y, and z the ship may have to depart earlier than normal, and in that situation the ship would sound the ship's whistle with the following pattern. Passengers were warned to be wary of a possible signal for an early departure. It did not happen for us on that trip.

Also, there are some ports on islands with volcanoes and islands in areas that are subject to earthquakes/tsunamis. These are some reasons why a ship would depart earlier than planned. An event like a volcanic eruption or an earthquake at your port or near your port (which you may not feel) or a tsunami warning are all reasons to quit your current activity and quickly return to your ship in case of a change of the ship's departure time.

Thankfully, these are rare events.

Lame hypo---try another

How about that NASA has tracked that a previously unknown asteroid has been tracked heading for the earth. It's anticipated strike point is the city that the OP is going to be in. They have just enough warning so that if the ship leaves NOW, the ship might survive even if not everyone in the city survives. Does the OP get back to the ship early just in case this scenario occurs or does he stay in the city and die.

Stay tuned!!!

DON

How about that NASA has tracked that a previously unknown asteroid has been tracked heading for the earth. It's anticipated strike point is the city that the OP is going to be in. They have just enough warning so that if the ship leaves NOW, the ship might survive even if not everyone in the city survives. Does the OP get back to the ship early just in case this scenario occurs or does he stay in the city and die.

Stay tuned!!!

DON

Nah, they just call Bruce Willis. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stay tuned!!!

DON

Lets see, you proposing an extinction level event. :rolleyes:

DOES IT MATTER whether you die in port or at sea? :eek:

:cool:

Correct! The OP is proposing a scenario that would NEVER occur.

Agreed,

Although very unlikely a possible scenario is that the ship may leave early due to weather or a terrorist type event. In this case they would arrange for those left behind to catch the ship at some point or get you home.

I have one. What happens if you miss the last tender on a private island?

They will search the island and ship looking for you, as they know who got off and back on.

Checking all the bars and toilets I presume.;)

Unwise to conclude in this FORUM from arm-chair pundits to think ships leaving early or hastily is so very rare. I have yet ANOTHER personal experience. Fukushima Tsunami forced our last arrivals to board by tender AFTER the anchor was hoisted. Tsunami sirens were sounding ashore as we beat a fast retreat from the harbor. We escaped OK, but T-shirt stands ashore were wiped out within hours. T'was in many of the world's newspapers. So yes, it happens. LocoLoco1

Unwise to conclude in this FORUM from arm-chair pundits to think ships leaving early or hastily is so very rare. I have yet ANOTHER personal experience. Fukushima Tsunami forced our last arrivals to board by tender AFTER the anchor was hoisted. Tsunami sirens were sounding ashore as we beat a fast retreat from the harbor. We escaped OK, but T-shirt stands ashore were wiped out within hours. T'was in many of the world's newspapers. So yes, it happens. LocoLoco1

The question posed was about private islands. In the case of a major emergency (potential tsunami for example) any ship will clear the island and get everyone onboard in under an hour and set off to sea. Anyone who shouldn't be in board will be sorted out over the next 24 hours. In an emergency, staff would use strong tactics to clear the island quickly, instead of the typical gentle nudges.

Glad you made it okay, I would assume the last arrivals were rounded up from whatever activity they were doing, so that they could get back to the tenders and then the ship.

Hypothetical situation:

What are the next steps?

A "Western Bahamas Cruise to Cozumel ?" Never heard of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums