The cruise ship left me?!

eazy91

Hypothetical situation:

Day 5 of 7 cruise to the western bahammas and you land in good ol Cozumel for a fun filled day in the sun. You get off of the ship and do your shopping/excursions. You return hours before the cruise ship is designated to leave to find that the cruise ship is gone.

There was a medical emergency on board the ship that caused the ship to have to depart early.

What are the next steps?

Hypothetical situation:

Day 5 of 7 cruise to the western bahammas and you land in good ol Cozumel for a fun filled day in the sun. You get off of the ship and do your shopping/excursions. You return hours before the cruise ship is designated to leave to find that the cruise ship is gone.

There was a medical emergency on board the ship that caused the ship to have to depart early.

What are the next steps?

If there were a medical emergency and the ship is in a port the person would be taken by ambulance to the nearest hospital.

If you are left in port after departure time contact the port agent. The phone number and address is always in that day's ship newsletter so take the info with you.

If there were a medical emergency and the ship is in a port the person would be taken by ambulance to the nearest hospital.

If you are left in port after departure time contact the port agent. The phone number and address is always in that day's ship newsletter so take the info with you.

Great point.

Lets say for any reason, the cruise ship leaves BEFORE the time it is supposed to (not sure this as ever happened)..what would someone do?

Great point.

Lets say for any reason, the cruise ship leaves BEFORE the time it is supposed to (not sure this as ever happened)..what would someone do?

As said above, contact the lines agent.

Who, if the ship leaves early I suspect will be there waiting for you anyway.

Hypothetical situation:

What are the next steps?

This scenario would never happen. The medical emergency would be taken to a hospital in the port and air lifted to another medical facility if the one in port couldn't handle the issue.

This scenario would never happen. The medical emergency would be taken to a hospital in the port and air lifted to another medical facility if the one in port couldn't handle the issue.

Correct! The OP is proposing a scenario that would NEVER occur.

The ship would never leave early because they would be liable for every passenger left behind. It would cost them more money then you paid for the cruise so they wouldn't do this. For some reason if there is a medical emergency and hospital is not available then the patient would be airlifted from the ship.

Now if you miss the ship by even one minute then you're on your own. Use you credit card or call family to western union money so you can get to the next port. This scenario is if you miss the ship because you booked your own excursion, were out shopping or any other reason.

If you miss the ship because you were late from a excursion you purchased directly from the cruise than you are safe once again. This doesn't mean that the excursion is over and you went shopping and missed because then you're on your own again. You are only covered if the excursion is late but most of the time the ship will wait and not leave simply because they are on the hook for your flight, hotel, transportation and meals.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ONLY way a cruise ship would leave port early would be due to a SEVERE weather emergency, such as a hurricane requiring them to get to sea to ride it out. But in this case they would most likely never enter port if there was any chance of this. So it's not a realistic question.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Cmdr Cody

Great point.

I suggest that you take a cruise to familiarize yourself with how things work in the world of cruising rather than spinning an impossible scenario.

As for the ship leaving early for a good reason...not out of the realm of possibility.

Several years ago a hurricane was headed for San Juan. Carnival was boarding for a late afternoon sailing. The port authority told them to sail as the port would be closing and would be closed by their advertised sailing time.

Carnival sailed immediately. There were a lot of passengers who had not even landed in San Juan. Carnival offered to fly them to the next port to meet the ship....and they did....everyone that had a passport. You cannot fly internationally without a passport, but you could sail from San Juan with a BC and photo ID. Those who made the sailing were fine. Those with passports flew and met the ship at the next port. Those without passports went home.

In reality, that would rarely happen. If there's a storm coming, the captain will usually know there's a possibility before getting to the port. the only time in all the years that I've been on CC (and even before that) that I've ever heard of a situation close to that while in a port, was once in a tender port when a storm was brewing and it caused tendering to become unsafe.

I just wouldn't worry about being left behind unless you fail to get back in time. I always bring the ship's newsletter with me when going off the ship. It has the port agent info on it. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

This HAS happened at a port call! It happened in Portland, ME on a fall foliage cruise to Canada when the tide was unexpectedly low and the port master ordered the ship to sea a couple hours early. Hundreds or more passengers were left behind. They were put up for the night, fed, and bussed to the next port the next day. There were some very, very unhappy passengers. I don't recall what line it was, but almost sure it was either CCL, RCCL, NCL, or HAL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I recall reading about a ship that left a Caribbean port early because of a storm. A large number of passengers were left behind. They had to fight for compensation for expenses, but the cruise line paid out in the end

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The scenario described would never occur: medical emergencies are met by getting the passenger (or crew member) off the ship and to octal medical facilities. If the ship did leave early, two things would happen: an agent would remain at the pier/tender landing until scheduled departure time to advise/assist passengers.

I was Norwegian Sea, alongside Hamilton, Bermuda in summer 2003 we were scheduled to move to Dockyard that day, and then head back to New York the following day. Because of an approaching hurricane, plan was changed - we left Hamilton as scheduled in late morning but instead of mooring at Dockyard, we moored in the lee off the north shore and sent tenders to Dockyardand and Hamilton to wait and bring returning passengers back to the ship. By 10:00 PM all passengers had been located/brought on board, and the ship sailed off to the northeast to make a leisurely end run around the storm, while heading back to New York.

I am sure ships always have contingency plans to cover reasonably contemplated itinerary changes.

This HAS happened at a port call! It happened in Portland, ME on a fall foliage cruise to Canada when the tide was unexpectedly low and the port master ordered the ship to sea a couple hours early. Hundreds or more passengers were left behind. They were put up for the night, fed, and bussed to the next port the next day. There were some very, very unhappy passengers. I don't recall what line it was, but almost sure it was either CCL, RCCL, NCL, or HAL.

Hmmmm, you sure about that, ducklite?

Are you not thinking of an instance just a few years back when, for fear of grounding during an usually low tide, a cruise captain pulled away from the berth during the day & moored off-shore. I believe it was the ship's first visit to that port & the captain was being particularly cautious.

Ship's tenders were lowered and returning passengers tendered to the ship as at a tender port.

A heart-stopper for passengers who saw from afar, but no dramas & no-one left behind. :)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Hmmmm, you sure about that, ducklite?

Are you not thinking of an instance just a few years back when, for fear of grounding during an usually low tide, a cruise captain pulled away from the berth during the day & moored off-shore. I believe it was the ship's first visit to that port & the captain was being particularly cautious.

Ship's tenders were lowered and returning passengers tendered to the ship in the usual way.

A heart-stopper for passengers who saw from afar, but no dramas & no-one left behind. :)

Yes, I am sure that a number of people could not get to the ship that evening and were put up in hotels and bussed to the next port. Perhaps we are thinking of different situations. The one I am thinking of happened at least six and perhaps as many as 10 years ago. It was definitely a situation where the port told them to,leave, not the captains choice.

Edited by ducklite

Yes, I am sure that a number of people could not get to the ship that evening and were put up in hotels and bussed to the next port. Perhaps we are thinking of different situations.

I don't recall the port in question but I think it was in the Caribbean rather than Portland.

So yes, mebbe a different situation.

Great point.

This did happen on the cruise before ours. February 2007 Pride of America Hawaii. Big quick storm blasted into Kona with huge waves, ship left the harbor 4 hours early stranding over 700 passengers. Ncl put everyone up in hotels for the night, gave vouchers for a meal and returned at 6 am the next day.. happy cruising

Your "Hypothetical Situation" is just that and not going to happen.

Agree! The op shouldn't worry about unlikely situations if the op wants to enjoy their cruise. Now, worrying about giant squids catching the ship and devouring all the passengers in balcony cabins, THAT is something to be worrying about.

Squid.jpg

Edited by sloopsailor

I totally agree. It seems to be just a hypothetical situation that will never happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Awww, you guys shot down his "medical emergency" scenario before I had a chance to. ;)

I will just add that evacuating a medical emergency by cruise ship would be just about the LAST choice of medical personnel. Slow, light on emergency equipment and supplies (at least compared to a land-based hospital or clinic), and I can tell you from working on an ambulance that it is very difficult to perform delicate procedures in any kind of moving vehicle. And that was without the added complication of riding on the waves!

Medical helicopters carry specially-trained personnel as well as a surprising amount of emergency equipment.

No - "this" (the scenario described by OP) "HAS" not happened; and virtually certainly could never happen.

Of course, there can be other reasons - many of which have probably occurred.