Culinary Classes

pete_coach

I see these are available on board out ship. The class times are 4:00PM to 5:30PM.

Do these classes include eating the food prepared during the classes or are they just demonstrations?

You fully participate in cooking the dishes (at your own station in a state-of-the-art lab) and eat what you cook. However, for food safety reasons, you may not take the food with you when it's done. When we do the afternoon cooking classes, we generally plan a later dinner at the Terrace Cafe.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

You fully participate in cooking the dishes (at your own station in a state-of-the-art lab) and eat what you cook. However, for food safety reasons, you may not take the food with you when it's done. When we do the afternoon cooking classes, we generally plan a later dinner at the Terrace Cafe.

Classes are 4 to 5:30 and that is already close to dinner time. If you eat what you learn to cook, is it sufficient to consider it dinner?

I've never taken one of the classes -- I reserved a few but always had to cancel.

BUT from what I have read here at CC, people do often consider their tastings of what they have prepared enough to do more than take the edge off their appetite.

Depending on how you feel, you could always go to Terrace and limit yourself to some appetizers or a salad if you feel somewhat hungry but not ready for a full dinner.

Mura

Classes are 4 to 5:30 and that is already close to dinner time. If you eat what you learn to cook, is it sufficient to consider it dinner?

The items you will prepare (three or four different ones usually) amount to sample sized portions. For some, I'd say it serves as a reasonable appetizer for dinner.

Again, best bet is to plan on Terrace Cafe for dinner or later snack.

I've had classes at lunch time on board Riviera. And the food is sufficient to be a light meal depending on the class. We made French Onion Soup and Quiche with salad in the French Cuisine class. We made pasta from scratch and a simple sauce and salad in the Pasta Class too. I took the Canyon Ranch Spa Cuisine class and make the Alpine Muesli at home all the time and I make the pasta also.

Aquidneck, what ship are you on? Culinary classes only on Riviera and Nautica. If on either of those ships, open "my account," find your cruise and click on "manage this booking," click on "other options," and the rest of the links to the cooking classes will be obvious.

You're right, LHT. For anybody like me, who sometimes has senior moments about O's ship names, the foolproof way to remember it is: O's two ~1,200 passenger ships have cooking classes, all of O's other ships (~600 passengers) don't have cooking classes.

have the classes.....AND they hold 2 a day there is a 10:30 -12 and then an afternoon. on Marina and Riveria. They are a class act with top notch instructors, not just galley staff doing a bit of teaching but professional teaching chefs....who know how to teach.

Take the morning class and skip lunch.

The quality of the classes is quite good, its a fun romp with basic food prep and the staff cleans up. If you coming to experience in depth instruction...no this is not for you.... go take a CIA course.

If your interested in cooking, and want to see others takes on culinary topics as a fun together experience then go......and have fun with other kindered peopel....

I have taken a lot of cooking classes in various countries over the years. I found the Oceania ones not great in terms of teaching but there was plenty to eat if that is what you wanted. (Personally I prefer to cook and then taste bur not to eat everything I cooked). In fact on my last TA cruise I signed up for 4 classes and then cancelled two because the teacher was really not great and did not cover the subject as specified in the description.

The facilty is really well designed. But the classes need some re-structuring...

I have taken a lot of cooking classes in various countries over the years. I found the Oceania ones not great in terms of teaching but there was plenty to eat if that is what you wanted. (Personally I prefer to cook and then taste bur not to eat everything I cooked). In fact on my last TA cruise I signed up for 4 classes and then cancelled two because the teacher was really not great and did not cover the subject as specified in the description.

The facilty is really well designed. But the classes need some re-structuring...

The classes per se are not meant to be anything more than a fun gathering of food interested people.... and go over some simple ideas. It is not to be any more than that and not meant to be any true lasting instruction as you would get in a focused culinary class/course.

They are social and fun gatherings no more no less seeking them to be more is not to be advised.....look elsewhere there are many schools and courses one can take..where it is focused on learning technique, and mastering skills and practice to achieve... These classes/training take many days to weeks of 8 hour days..... not 1.5 hours

OK - looking at it with that perspective I agree with you. But it seems like a waste of money and space to have created that excellent "lab" kitchen was a recreational tool! I did not understand that (obviously!). I thought that the classes would be as serious as the Cordon Bleu ones were on Regent. They were excellent.

OK - looking at it with that perspective I agree with you. But it seems like a waste of money and space to have created that excellent "lab" kitchen was a recreational tool! I did not understand that (obviously!). I thought that the classes would be as serious as the Cordon Bleu ones were on Regent. They were excellent.

I have yet to take a class but for the $70 fee I was not really expecting it to be Cordon Bleu or Top Chef calibre

My recollection was that the Regent classes were much more expensive (around $500 per person), and were offered as a course, not just one short class. great on a deep dive Le Cordon Bleu cruise, but probably not for the casual cook.

They are a class act with top notch instructors, not just galley staff doing a bit of teaching but professional teaching chefs....who know how to teach.

My sister and I took a class on Marina and while we had fun, we did not learn much from a "top notch instructor". We had a class with a chef promoting his latest cookbook. Not something we would do again.

I have yet to take a class but for the $70 fee I was not really expecting it to be Cordon Bleu or Top Chef calibre

Depending on the itinerary, we have taken 2-4 classes per journey. The beginning of each class is "old news" food safety (some students are not home chefs). As for the rest of the classes, my spouse could teach some of them. Nonetheless, we have come away from every class with some new knowledge or nuance or recipe for quick fixes for a party. And, yes, they are fun -particularly if you do it as a couple.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Depending on the itinerary, we have taken 2-4 classes per journey. The beginning of each class is "old news" food safety (some students are not home chefs). As for the rest of the classes, my spouse could teach some of them. Nonetheless, we have come away from every class with some new knowledge or nuance or recipe for quick fixes for a party. And, yes, they are fun -particularly if you do it as a couple.

Thanks all and I think we will sign up for a few.

I do the cooking at home, no disrespect to her and she is fully aware but my Wife's knife stills are not much more than putting them in and out of the dishwasher. :)

It sounds like a fun thing to do together. Apps at the class that we prepare and cook together and then proper dinner to discuss our accomplishments :)

Thanks all and I think we will sign up for a few.

I do the cooking at home, no disrespect to her and she is fully aware but my Wife's knife stills are not much more than putting them in and out of the dishwasher. :)

It sounds like a fun thing to do together. Apps at the class that we prepare and cook together and then proper dinner to discuss our accomplishments :)

I have never taken those classes but from reading here I would suggest that you do not book a specialty restaurant on the nights of your cooking class (unless it is in AM).

People have reported being full after the class - perhaps a lighter meal in the Terrace might be better on those days.

My sister and I took a class on Marina and while we had fun, we did not learn much from a "top notch instructor". We had a class with a chef promoting his latest cookbook. Not something we would do again.

You could have Thomas Keller or Eric Rupert teach.... but in 1.5 hours no one is going to be to teach you anything even remotely lasting... because the Key ingredient in cooking instruction & PRACTICE-PRACTICE PRACTICE,and PRACTICE AND MORE PRACTICE.

A note on "getting to cook from scratch".....That doesnt happen .... the galley preps and prepares anything that might be time consuming... In the pasta class you get a ball of pasta dough made the day before to work... There is no way in 1.5 hours you could ever make the dough correctly, let it rest and work it.... you chop a few veg and saute for a min or 2 and roll out your pre-made dough and drop it into water... that it

yES the when Regent had a relation with Cordon Bleu they ran a 4 hour a day 8 session class with a dinner and a cook book for $500. Tht was pretty good and a bargin. Good culinary instruction you should expect to pay $400 to 500 per day just for the instruction !!! $70 is cheap on O

You have not done the maths. USD 70 per lesson is cheaper than the Cordon bleu series on Regent BUT there were 5 and sometimes more classes in those series... so 350USD or 412USD of lessons... in fact i remember I paid USD 350 for the lot. And i would have paid USD280 for the 4 Oceania ones i had signed up for last year! So with 5 lessons on Oceania the cost was the same...but the Cordon Bleu was hugely better IMO. Had I not had those series probably I would have thought the Oceania ones were OK ! Perhaps...

I see these are available on board out ship. The class times are 4:00PM to 5:30PM.

Do these classes include eating the food prepared during the classes or are they just demonstrations?

I just returned from the Riviera, I was able to get into a culinary class on stand by.

It was from 4-6pm. I knew no one else I. The class so was partnered with a stranger but still had a wonderful time and learned a few valuable tips, sampled some delicious foods and got great recipes.

We had at least a sampling of everything that was cooked and when the lesson was over she gave us the opportunity to call a guest up to sample what was left. I thought the class was a blast and will definitely take another one on my next cruise.