A STRANGE medallion request

AV8rix

I just recently received my 100-days medallion. I was disappointed to see that they’ve already been minted with the new logo. It is apparently just the bronze ones. I noticed at the ceremony that the silver, gold and perhaps platinum (none awarded on that cruise so I’m not sure about that) still have the old logo. I’m assuming that’s because they award LOTS of the bronzes and fewer of the others, so there are many of the higher levels left over with the old logo.

I immediately disliked the new logo when it was first revealed in January. So far nobody has been able to explain to me why they found the ghost of the Halve Maen so shameful or damaging to the brand that it was deemed necessary to remove it from the logo.

Anyway, if any of the higher-level folks is willing to part with his/her old bronze medallion I’d be glad to pay for it. Or I’ll swap you my “new” one, though I don’t know why anyone would want the silly thing.

Contact me at junque_5 at outlook dot com. Thanks in advance.

Susan, I don't know if you're going on another cruise in the near future, but if you are check with the office, they may have not received the new metals yet. When I received the 700 day one, the ship I was on did not have any lapel pins but on my next cruise, they did. They just didn't award that many 700 day metals so the supply did not run out. I was a happy camper to receive what I wanted.

Just curious.....does any one actually wear the medal after they receive it, or does it just go in the souvenir box?

My medallion lives in my carry-on suitcase so I always have it with me for the Mariner Reception. I wear it every time.

Sadly, not as many people seem to be wearing them to the reception as in the past, but there are still a few of us who are thrilled to have been able to cruise so many days, to so many places, on HAL ships.

I would not t give up any of my Medallions, b ut I have to think a whether I would part with my late fDH'S c opper. i WOULD NOT EVER, NOT EVER, give up his. Platinum.

Edited by sail7seas

Sorry.. I jus read some of your posts. My DH loved hal AND the people of H AL. Some of ther implicagions I grasped from some of those posts sould not have been some tro his liking.. Thus, I cannot pass long his Medallion. HAL and HAL ships gave us great pleasure that remains very important to me. I respectt my D's thoughts and feellings and will honor him always.

My medallion lives in my carry-on suitcase so I always have it with me for the Mariner Reception. I wear it every time.

Sadly, not as many people seem to be wearing them to the reception as in the past, but there are still a few of us who are thrilled to have been able to cruise so many days, to so many places, on HAL ships.

I, too, wear my Plattinum Medallion at Mariners' Receptions. It lives in my carry on,. :)

I love my medallion and wear it proudly. Sorry, but I would never trade or swap it because it means too much to me. I sailed those days and are proud of it and no one else in my family has one. It is so special that I keep it next to my passport.

Edited by Sharon in AZ

I also am not embarrassed to wear my medallion. Whenever anyone comments on it, I explain it is the "most expensive piece of jewelry that I own.

It happens often in industry: there is a new president, CEO or whatever so they feel they need to make changes to long standing 'things'. Do know the expense of changing a logo - it is HUGE and also agree it seems pointless. But then, as much as I like sailing HAL, tradition seems to becoming a thing of the past on all cruises, including the Grands, I am sorry to say.

They periodically come up on eBay. A few weeks ago there was one.at the moment there are 2 of the copper pins.

Thanks for the suggestion. But ever since I received the medallion I’ve been watching eBay. No luck. That’s why I finally posted here. I’ve seen those pins that you mentioned but I was really wanting to replace my medallion with the same medallion but with the old logo.

It happens often in industry: there is a new president, CEO or whatever so they feel they need to make changes to long standing 'things'. Do know the expense of changing a logo - it is HUGE and also agree it seems pointless. But then, as much as I like sailing HAL, tradition seems to becoming a thing of the past on all cruises, including the Grands, I am sorry to say.

Wow! I hadn’t even considered the cost of the (as you so aptly expressed it) pointless change. Eventually EVERYTHING emblazoned with the old logo will have to be redone....from the swizzle sticks to the ships’ funnels. And for no discernible purpose – except for disrespecting the Dutch sailing heritage (yeah, I know Henry Hudson was British – but he was sailing for the Dutch East India Company when he skippered the Halve Maen :)).

Anyway, this thread is now closed…at least as far as I’m concerned. Nice folks sent me emails, either offering their medallions or just expressing their understanding of why I made my request. I gratefully accepted the offer from a kind couple who had somehow received duplicates, so they’re not actually losing anything by graciously gifting me with one of theirs. Aren’t the folks on CC great?

i;m sory to have to mention but only a CC Host closes a thread. Posters here c lose b y no longer adding any posts. It then dies an automatic 'natural death. No poster declares a thread closed.. If Host Walt wants it closed, he will do so.

Edited by sail7seas

Avi8trix said

Nice folks sent me emails, either offering their medallions or just expressing their understanding of why I made my request. I gratefully accepted the offer from a kind couple

Yay, I'm happy to hear you got an offer you were comfortable with. I was late to this, or I'd have offered to trade with you :)

Yay, I'm happy to hear you got an offer you were comfortable with. I was late to this, or I'd have offered to trade with you :)

Trade? The one that I wanted is on the way to me now so no need to give up yours. But if you really want the one with the new logo please contact me via email and I'll be happy to send it to you.

If you go to Holland America.com you are suree to see their new/current logo. design.

I visit there all the time and didn't notice the change. I guess to my eyes it wasn't that horrible. From this thread I thought it must be something awful.

I thought the new medal was something different than that. Hence my request for a picture.