whats with the new assigned check in times

morganboys

When I was going through the online check in, it asks for a specific check in time. What is the deal with that? Is carnival really assigning check in times? Are they turning people away if you show up prior to your time? Also how does this work if you have faster to the fun? We like to show up and board early. Not sure I would like it if we end up with a afternoon time to board the ship.

Edited by morganboys

When I was going through the online check in, it asks for a specific check in time. What is the deal with that? Is carnival really assigning check in times? Are they turning people away if you show up prior to your time? Also how does this work if you have faster to the fun? We like to show up and board early. Not sure I would like it if we end up with a afternoon time to board the ship.

Yes, they are turning people away if you are not within your time frame. So as the other poster said, if boarding early is important, get FTTF and then there is no need to worry about the time.

Yes, they will turn you away if you show up earlier than your check in time. Choose the earliest time you can if you want to arrive early but it doesn't necessarily mean you will get onboard any earlier than usual. We had assigned check in last July in NOLA and it worked well. Kept everyone from showing up at the same time. Our next 2 cruises also have assigned check in time.

The check in times started last summer and they have been gradually adding ports. It really does make for less congestion and has gotten mostly favorable reviews. You can show up anytime after your chosen time, but not before. You still have to choose a check in time with FTTF, but you can show up whenever you want.

Started in November in Galveston. I really as worked well. Pick your check in time and show up at that time. As others have said Diamond, Plat, FTTF and suites can check in at their will.

Yes you will not be allowed to enter the terminal until your check in time.

Go into your booking and click on "check in". You don't have to complete all the check in info but you will see times for check in and then you can pick one.

You can do the rest of the check in with putting in your ID info and travel info later.

Go into your booking and click on "check in". You don't have to complete all the check in info but you will see times for check in and then you can pick one.

You can do the rest of the check in with putting in your ID info and travel info later.

Thank you so much! I was able to get in and select an early embarkation time!

Yes. The earliest time available is 12:00-12:30. There's at least one thread specific to Long Beach if you search for it.

That's how it's supposed to work.

In reality they are same as before with the admonishment to pax to follow their chosen time the next time.

This is current as of October 30.

Edited by SadieN

Even if you have FTTF or Priority status, you still need to choose a time. You can just enter the terminal before your selected time (Carnival isn't assigning times). The other option to enter before your selected check in time is to use Carnival transfers. You need to show your transfer paperwork to enter.

Thank you so much! I was able to get in and select an early embarkation time![/quote

It's not embarkation time you are picking , It is Check In time ,The time they allow you into the terminal ,,, You will still wait for a boarding group

Thanks, I was about to clarify as well. Folks these are not BOARDING TIMES! These are times you can enter the cruise terminal. Once inside the cruise terminal you proceed to check in at where ever you are suppose to go, Diamond, Platinum, FTTF, just regular cruisers. After check in, where you get you S&S card, etc. If Diamond, Platinum you will be amongst the first to board (wedding parties might get a jump-and Diamonds don't necessarily go before Platinums). FTTF next, or at the same time. Then regular cruisers, Zones 1 through whatever. If you're Diamond, Platinum, FTTF and you arrive after your "check in" time, you just head straight to your assigned guest check in counter or kiosk. Then head on board.

If you arrive before your check in time, regardless of status, they won't let you in the terminal until your check in time. So pick a check in time!

If you arrive before your check in time, regardless of status, they won't let you in the terminal until your check in time. So pick a check in time!

This is not correct. If you are Diamond/Platinum/FTTF or have a Suite you still need to pick a time but can arrive as early as the first check in group regardless of your time slot.

Edited by firemanbobswife

This is not correct. If you are Diamond/Platinum/FTTF or have a Suite you still need to pick a time but can arrive as early as the first check in group regardless of your time slot.

Firemanmobswife is right. You have to pick a time but you still can go on before if you have one of the VIP statuses. I think they make you still select a time to have an idea how crowded the port will be at certain times and what time slots to close out.

That's how it's supposed to work.

In reality they are same as before with the admonishment to pax to follow their chosen time the next time.

This is current as of October 30.

We sailed from Galveston on September 19. They were definitely enforcing the times. There were lines of people outside the terminal waiting for their time so they could enter the terminal. As we went in the door a woman was cursing at one of the employees. It was 11am and she had a 2pm time. The employee held her ground and the last thing I saw was one of the Port Police officers moving toward them.

Also pax using Carnival transportation from the airport.

We cruise out of Galveston TX. Who polices this? We normally get there around 12:30 or so and we had a 1:00 - 1:30 "Check-In" time. By the time I dropped bags, parked and got back to the terminal, it had to be after 1:00. There was one line outside and everybody had to go through it. It was humid and no wind blowing. I noticed others in front of me with "Check-In" times of 2:00 and 3:00. This was the longest wait we ever had for boarding. It was after 3:00 before we got on board. So much for choosing a time. This cruise was on the Liberty and at the smaller pier just south of the main pier. Did I get in the wrong line? This was a bit chaotic. Our cruise was a blast and made up for the delay but I mentioned it on my survey.