Live from Koningsdam, Southern Caribbean Wayfarer, Nov 23-Dec 4

sppunk

I was on the Konigsdam Transatlantic Oct. 24-Nov. 9' date=' with 9 sea days in all. There was no Indonesian or Royal Dutch Tea. There were the regular teas, from 3:15-3:45pm most days in the Queen's Lounge, and there were also a few "High Teas," from 3:15-4:00pm in the Queen's Lounge, with dance music played by the Konigsdam Orchestra.[/quote']

Good to know, thank you.

So one can say the Royal Dutch and Indonesian Tea times are not directly removed, but replaced by new "high tea " events? Could you please describe a little what the high tea events were like?

Did they also have something like a large decorated buffet on the middle?

It is just interesting... another one who did a Caribbean cruise in November on Koningsdam told me Royal Dutch Tea and Indonesian Tea has been taking place... :confused:

So I would like to know how it will be on sppunk's cruise...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A few answers to questions:

- I've never had any trouble getting a table at Grand Dutch Cafe. So far I've never seen more than 4-5 people in line at once. With a Dutch contingent onboard this will vastly differ.

- No special teas at all yet and with like 6 ports in a row and only one more sea day I doubt there will be one.

- I'll scan all daily programs when i get home, too slow to upload them daily.

Ok, thank you at first for your observations. :)

But is there any regular tea time daily?

Please no stress with the daily programs, since you should enjoy your cruise.

Just curious. After your bag was found to be innocent did they deliver it for you or did you need to schlep it yourself?

Also, what are the internet plans.

Thanks

Roy

They delivers it. I actually had a message on our phone from about 2:30 pm that day asking to come down but I never saw it until after they called again later that evening.

Good to know, thank you.

So one can say the Royal Dutch and Indonesian Tea times are not directly removed, but replaced by new "high tea " events? Could you please describe a little what the high tea events were like?

Did they also have something like a large decorated buffet on the middle?

It is just interesting... another one who did a Caribbean cruise in November on Koningsdam told me Royal Dutch Tea and Indonesian Tea has been taking place... :confused:

So I would like to know how it will be on sppunk's cruise...

High teas only to date. 3-15-4 pm, in Queens lounge or Ocean Bar. No special

Tea listed except the first sea day was a a high "dance" tea.

sppunk ~ thanks for taking us along on Koningsdam with you. We are sailing on her in a few months and can't wait. We passed you on Friday as we were heading back to Ft. Lauderdale on Silhouette. We were very excited to see Koningsdam sailing past us. Knew right away what ship it was. Grabbed my camera and took the photo below (not the best quality....didn't have my right lens with me).

Hoping the rest of your cruise is fantastic and thanks again for taking the time to take us along!

IMG_6485.jpg.fc393e113a075d3a8433481c2005c361.jpg

Your live thread has inspired me to start packing. I cannot wait until next Sunday. I am so happy you are having a great time. After so many negative reviews, I was worried that this cruise may have been a mistake.

Can you tell me at what time the shows are held at the main theatre? I don't have set dining so I will have to making dining reservations around the shows as my mom will never want to miss one.

Day 5, St. Lucia

As I mentioned previously, last night was our first of two nights this trip in Tamarind. Let's be frank: Tamarind is the best thing to happen to HAL's food and beverage department in a good while.

Tamarind on Koningsdam is very relaxing and beautiful, a step up from Eurodam and NA. It is in a different location than on the Signature Class ships. Here it is on deck 10, behind the Lido pool. The location on Eurodam/NA is problematic due to vibration issues. They unfortunately didn't discover them until it was too late to modify the ships but they did so here. It works well.

My wife and I started our first two courses with four different sushi / sashimi rolls, allowing us to share and experience them all. I was pleased with them, they aren't the best sushi rolls on earth but they are tasty.

My entree was the tremendously tender and (extra) spicy Vietnamese lamb. I love this dish and it is my "must have" on my first visit to Tamarind. So, so good.

IMG_5534.jpg

My wife had the sea bass and was impressed with it as well.

For dessert she splurged and had mixed berries. I went light and had the fortune cookie. ;)

IMG_5535.jpg

If you haven't had this - get it your next trip. It's a light flaky fortunate cookie served with an almond-chocolate filing with ice cream on the side. SO GOOD!

After dinner we went to the main show - a ventriloquist named Kevin Johnson. We went solely for the purpose of being entertained by the badness and we were not disappointed. I will never understand cruise ship entertainers.

Today we are in St. Lucia. We have never been here but none of the tours or private operators appealed to me enough to a) spend money B) wake up early and c) fight crowds.

We instead oversleep breakfast, wandered off into the pier shopping area for postcards and came back onboard.

After reading a while on our balcony it was time for lunch. I took one for the team and ordered a pizza from New York Pizza & Deli. These are personal size pizzas, maybe 8" or so in diameter.

IMG_5537.jpg

I got the Finocchio. Thin crust with Italian sausage, fennel, onion, chili flakes, panna cream sauce, aged provolone, and pecorino Romano cheese.

It was exceptional. Better than Princess' pizza. Honestly. I'll get this again soon - or try another one in the name of research. :) It took about 15 minutes and was very, very busy. This is big winner onboard, as is of course Dive In.

After lunch my wife was treated to a 75 minute massage so I killed time with a iced chai latter from the Explorations Cafe, watching on-demand Parks and Recreation, walking around the ship and just doing a lot of nothing.

At 5 p.m. we sailed through Soufriere Bay - the bow was open and the location guide provided commentary.

IMG_5556.jpg

Aside from the view my personal highlight was a lady apparently upset she is on a moving ship.

"We were going for 20 miles and then the captain turned the f'n ship," she said. "I will have a few words for him."

I wish you could throw people who complain about the stupidest stuff overboard.

Tonight we are dining at Sel de Mer and I'll provide a full, detailed report tomorrow. I'm excited to try it out.

Tomorrow we are in Barbados and guess what? We have a tour scheduled!

More on Sel de Mer and Barbados tomorrow.

If there is anything anyone wants to know that I've yet to provide just shout, I'll do my best to answer.

Roy, Internet plans are the standard HAL ones. $55 for 100 minutes, $100 for 250 minutes, etc. It's no better/faster than any other HAL ship internet. Not horrible but not really any better.

I have no idea why HAL put a new ship in the water with ancient Internet technology for guests. They clearly have the backend to support better options - every waiter and bar steward uses a tablet for ordering (in fact for drinks they swipe your card on the tablet, place the order and then get a notification when it is ready for delivery, pretty snazzy). It's bizarre.

First, thanks so much for your great review. Since we are boarding next Sunday we are especially interested.

Last year our ship spent an hour or so in Soufriere Bay and we loved the views from the ship. We had a group of about 40 roll call people on the verandah of a large aft-wrap cabin and it was alot of fun as well. Something we will never forget.

Thx Sppunk for the great review so far.

Have you had the chance to enjoy an evening movie (with popcorn or nachos) on the big screen in the Lido pool area? Does this work for the ship? I have heard comments that when the roof is closed, it can be noisy and hard to watch the movie. What movies are playing?

dave

Day 5, St. Lucia

IMG_5537.jpg

I got the Finocchio. Thin crust with Italian sausage, fennel, onion, chili flakes, panna cream sauce, aged provolone, and pecorino Romano cheese.

It was exceptional. Better than Princess' pizza. Honestly. I'll get this again soon - or try another one in the name of research. :) It took about 15 minutes and was very, very busy. This is big winner onboard, as is of course Dive In.

Tonight we are dining at Sel de Mer and I'll provide a full, detailed report tomorrow. I'm excited to try it out. /QUOTE]

That pizza really is amazing. Only one I got to try on my short time onboard but WOW it was good! Definitely better than Princess!

Sel de Mer is truly a special experience. Unless specifically opposed to either hopefully you got to try the steak tartare and/or foie grois. Really really good.

And the Dutch Cafe. The one thing that needs to be adjusted so it can be fit into all ships in the fleet YESTERDAY. The Dutch pea soup and bitterballen are incredible.

Glad you're having a wonderful time. She really is a fab ship!

Your live thread has inspired me to start packing. I cannot wait until next Sunday. I am so happy you are having a great time. After so many negative reviews, I was worried that this cruise may have been a mistake.

Can you tell me at what time the shows are held at the main theatre? I don't have set dining so I will have to making dining reservations around the shows as my mom will never want to miss one.

Showtimes for this cruise (I imagine this is standard):

Main show (World Stage):

7:15 p.m.

8:30 p.m.

10 p.m.

BB King's All Stars (Queens Lounge):

9:15 p.m.

10:15 p.m.

11:15 p.m.

Billboard Onboard:

9:15 p.m.

10:30 p.m.

11:45 p.m.

Lincoln Center Stage:

6 p.m.

7:15 p.m.

8:30 p.m.

Thank you so much for the show times. I would think that the 10:00 pm shows would be the least crowded and we don't have to be rushed after a leisurely dinner. Thank you for your great posts. I can't wait until Sunday.

Thank you so much for the fantastic reporting!

I haven't seen if you've ordered room service breakfast, so guessing you haven't? I'm wondering if it's possible to ask for things not on the new menu. We will be on the Koningsdam in early January -- so I'm very interested. :p

There was a release that came out, already discussed on another thread where it is confirmed this is possible.

Thanks. I thought I'd read everything Koningsdam. Will have to look (unless you have a link?) :) I've seen conflicting reports but nothing definite. :confused:

Never mind, if you meant the sticky, I found it. The experience of a HAL executive. I'd like to hear from recent cruisers that this does actually work. ;)

Edited by Cruising-along