Building the World's Most Luxurious Cruise Ship

beaujolais

No sure of the legalities of posting this but here's the link http://hola.org/ - good luck;). It's free and works in Australia and the US for this domain but it doesn't work (say) for viewing the Regent web site from different countries to see what's on sale elsewhere in the world, so some sites have VPN proof blockers. I understand some of the VPNs you can pay for may be more effective for that sort of activity.

Just finished watching the programme here in the UK.

I hope all our our overseas CC followers who are travelling on this new ship manage to view this programme because it is very interesting viewing. The first episode has focussed very much on the engineering challenges facing the construction team.

My view is that the challenges faced are the same for any cruise ship construction but it is very interesting viewing anyway.

Neil

Totally agree with your comments. Very interesting viewing all about the building and construction of the ship. Will look on her with different eyes when I cruise on her. Looking forward to part 2.

Wow! I just downloaded VPN Hola and was able to watch the show here in the US. Thanks for the heads up!

Z and TB

Zqueeze, I'm glad it worked - Catpow, thanks for sharing your experience.

OK, I've got Hola VPN installed in Chrome and go to https://www.my5.tv/ where I have an account set up with a London postcode. I choose "Browse from the United Kingdom" and can get to the point where it is offering the first episode with a play icon. Clicking the icon, I get the message "Whoops! The programme you are trying to watch isn't currently available. Please try again later. CA-UNKOWN." Elsewhere on the site it says this episode is available from 2-9 December.

I've cleared the browser cache to ensure there aren't any old cookies from previous visits to the site, without a change. Get the same message for other shows, as well, so it isn't unique to the Explorer documentary. Clearly seems to still be a VPN issue. Can anyone who had success with this route see what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Edited by Portolan

OK, I just went through the process again just to make sure they weren't a wake up to this and it still worked.

1. I didn't register with Channel 5; I also use Chrome.

2. On opening the link https://www.my5.tv/ the Hola VPN pops up and asks whether the browsing from the UK worked or not. If this didn't happen you'll have to try again. Now you say this happened and I presumed you then clicked the 'thumbs up' device, as did I.

3. I then searched for the program and after some time to buffer it allowed me to view.

So basically the only thing you did that I didn't was register. Why that would make any difference I don't know - I am a rank amateur at this sort of thing. But it's worth another try.

Good luck!

I am quite sure that all of us who plan to watch this 2 part program are looking forward to viewing the planning and concept of the ship.

Having watched the second part on Friday night I found it disappointing compared to the first part especially as the deadline Maiden Cruise, that they were said to be working to, actually turned out to be the Christening Cruise :confused::confused:

So, all the remarks by FDR about lost revenue if they didn't meet the deadline for this cruise were false as no-one paid a dime for the Christening Cruise !!!!!!

Edited by Notts Outlaw

Unfortunately we had to cancel our Explorer cruise for medical reasons. Hoped the TV programmes would give some compensation. The second one did. Too much bling, so we might not rebook on Explorer but go for the new Seabourn Encore

Didn't anybody watch the second part of this ?

There were 54 posts after the first programme was shown but only 2 posts following the second :confused:

Hi Notts Outlaw I watched it, and for some reason I did try to post here but had trouble with the connection. Anyway I felt the second episode was more of a publicity show? They didn't really market to most potential customers. They were very keen to promote the £8000 a nite Regent Suite but there was no reference to the more affordable suites or even to show the choice available. It was nice to see a few familiar faces among the staff that were visible. Mybe it was just me but I didn't think they did themselves justice in marketing to all future Regent customers? Jean.

I found it disappointing too.

The sea trials were only briefly covered with a bit of (possibly manufactured) drama as an engine appeared to overheat - which turned out to be only a faulty sensor.

The rest of the time seemed to be spent suggesting a 'more money than taste' approach to the Regent Suite and general decor. No real attempt was made to review the Explorer in terms of its facilities for those of us further down the food chain - in fact, I cannot recall seeing inside any other suite and only a few brief glimpses of the restaurants!

Edited by rarin2go
too much haste

So, all the remarks by FDR about lost revenue if they didn't meet the deadline for this cruise were false as no-one paid a dime for the Christening Cruise !!!!!!

I knew that some certainly had not paid for the Christening Cruise, but had not realised it was everyone! Is that really the case? Does that show perhaps a lack of faith in the readiness of the ship and desire to get onlypositive comments from the passengers?

The second episode was definitely a let down. Publicity stunt and not really showing why most of us enjoy our cruises on Regent . It would not encourage new potential cruisers at all would it?. Pity after the first episode showed the engineering side and planning side of the build.

I knew that some certainly had not paid for the Christening Cruise, but had not realised it was everyone! Is that really the case? Does that show perhaps a lack of faith in the readiness of the ship and desire to get onlypositive comments from the passengers?

There are still "free" sailings going on ........ a two nighter in Miami and another one in Los Angeles. This is how cruise lines "sell" their ships to TA's and investors (remember that another Explorer class ship is due out in 2020) . These cruises create revenue and are important.

Note: The Explorer definitely did not get "only positive" comments from the media and TA's onboard the christening cruise. Having to sail a ship that was delivered late and was not quite ready was risky. However, IMO, the two cruises before the maiden voyage were necessary - not only to sell the ship but to work out any issues before paying customers boarded the ship.

Edited by Travelcat2

There are still "free" sailings going on ........ a two nighter in Miami and another one in Los Angeles. This is how cruise lines "sell" their ships to TA's and investors (remember that another Explorer class ship is due out in 2020) . These cruises create revenue and are important.

Note: The Explorer definitely did not get "only positive" comments from the media and TA's onboard the christening cruise. Having to sail a ship that was delivered late and was not quite ready was risky. However, IMO, the two cruises before the maiden voyage were necessary - not only to sell the ship but to work out any issues before paying customers boarded the ship.

Well after the program the reviews from viewers am sure will be very mixed!

Well after the program the reviews from viewers am sure will be very mixed!

You are no doubt correct. Even though I haven't seen the program, photos and videos that I've seen of the ship do not do it justice. IMO, it is different in person that on camera. Also until you stay in one of the suites (F1, F2 and concierge in particular), one does not know how comfortable and well designed it is.

Note: Using colors because the quotes are not coming out right and I'm trying to differentiate my response to the quote. Quotes work better if you just press the "quote" button and type your response beneath the quote.

Edited by Travelcat2

You seem to be very well informed about future "free" sailings !

In what capacity do you get this information ?

Travelcat2 has answered your similar questions before on this board.

(And to forestall the likely next suspicious question, I do not know Travelcat2 other than through Cruise Critic...)

Edited by JPR

You seem to be very well informed about future "free" sailings !

In what capacity do you get this information ?

I think what is communicated in the U.K. is different than what is communicated in the U.S. I have heard of special events/visits/bargains available in the U.K. (after the fact) that those of us in the U.S. did not know about. The two travel agent/investor sailings is fairly common knowledge and has been discussed on Cruise Critic by someone that had to get off of the Explorer for two nights because of the TA cruise. They had to stay in a hotel for two nights before they could continue their cruise. Also, my TA called and talked me about the 2 nights spent on the Explorer - the meetings that took place, etc.

Anyway, no special "capacity" - I just read a lot, have a good TA and spend time online.

P.S. JPR - we posted at the same time:-) You're right - I am asked the same questions repeatedly. On another note, only a few days before you board the Explorer --I know this because I'm psychic (just kidding - someone is liable to take me seriously). Have a wonderful time and please post if you have any free time!

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat2 has answered your similar questions before on this board.

JPR; please check your facts before posting - you can easily look through ALL my previous posts.:mad:

Travelcat; thank you for your reply. I do wish Regent wouldn't differentiate so much between guests from either side of the Atlantic. Also, although we have a UK Office their reply to a query is too often 'We will have to check with Miami.:confused:

Edited by Notts Outlaw

JPR; please check your facts before posting - you can easily look through ALL my previous posts.:mad:

Travelcat; thank you for your reply. I do wish Regent wouldn't differentiate so much between guests from either side of the Atlantic. Also, although we have a UK Office their reply to a query is too often 'We will have to check with Miami.:confused:

I can understand that this may be a bit frustrating but Regent is a U.S. company that is strictly supervised by the Board of Directors and Officers of Regent. IMO, this is one reason that Regent is so successful. Offices in the U.K. and Australia (at least I think they have a rather new office in Australia) are regional offices that report directly to Miami.

Actually, IMO, it seems that if someone started a U.K. luxury cruise line, they would be quite successful (assuming that they would achieve the success that Hapag-Lloyd has achieved with German passengers).

Actually, IMO, it seems that if someone started a U.K. luxury cruise line, they would be quite successful.

We did have one called CUNARD but it was taken over by an American company who thought they could do better :confused:

Similarly Regent is now part of a Norwegian company :eek:

There is a little luxury boutique ship called the Hebridean Princess here in Scotland, UK. It is classed as luxury by Douglas Ward and also listed here on CC.

It predominantly sails around Scotland and the Islands and also around parts of the UK. Of note this little shop was chartered in 2006 by HM the Queen for a private family celebration on her 80th birthday.

We did have one called CUNARD but it was taken over by an American company who thought they could do better :confused:

Similarly Regent is now part of a Norwegian company :eek:

Actually, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings has nothing to do with Norway and I think it never did.

Actually, Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings has nothing to do with Norway and I think it never did.

And Regent while headquarters are in Miami is a Panamanian company incorporated in Panama. Seems most, if not all cruise lines while having their headquarters in the US are actually incorporated in other countries making them actually foreign companies, mainly Panama much like their ships are almost completely flagged in countries other than the US. Even Carnival which another poster stated was a US company is also incorporated in Panama. By incorporating outside the US, these cruise lines avoid paying much if any US taxes while also helping to avoid some of the laws which affect companies incorporated in the US.

Edited by rallydave

Good catch (and of course you are correct).

In terms of Cunard (sorry if that is suppose to be in all caps), I have never thought of it as a luxury cruise line (nor does my DH who came to the U.S. from England on Cunard in "steerage" but snuck up to the other classes). Only part of the ship is considered luxury. I know that this has been a debate for along time but, IMO, a cruise line with an area that is luxury doesn't qualify it as a "luxury cruise line".

Yes, as we know, U.S. based cruise companies have an advantage by incorporating in Panama and registering its cruise ships in third world countries like Panama and the Bahamas to avoid taxes (and wage and safety laws). However, virtually every aspect of the cruise experience is regulated as per this article:

http://www.cruiseforward.org/accountability/regulation/regulation-faqs

I do refer to NCL and Carnival as U.S. based companies as their headquarters are in the U.S.

Interesting information about Hebridean Princess. While I typically disagree with Douglas Ward, I generally agree with Cruise Critic (a U.S. based company). Their review of the ship is very positive. http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=401