Building the World's Most Luxurious Cruise Ship

beaujolais

A comment such as this is completely subjective..........much like food.

Agree that food is subjective. However, if the food on Regent was like the predictions/misinformation from the media, we would be eating bean tacos. Just my opinion.

Agree that food is subjective. However, if the food on Regent was like the predictions/misinformation from the media, we would be eating bean tacos. Just my opinion.

I was referring to the comment about news reporting in the United States, but I think you know that. No doubt that if regent was serving bean tacos, they would be the absolute best bean tacos made with the most luxurious ingredients and made by the best chefs.

The first of a two-part documentary following engineers and designers as they construct the liner Seven Seas Explorer. The aim of cruise boss Frank Del Rio is to make it the most luxurious ship of its type, designed to convey 750 passengers when others of its size would hold 5,000. Building the £360million vessel is a race against time for Italian shipbuilders Fincantieri, as tickets for the maiden voyage go on sale long before it is finished. The most expensive suite boasts a grand piano, a butler and its own spa, and costs £8,000 per night, while the owner is spending £5 million on art works to furnish the rooms.

They must have just finished the documentary because there was a camera crew on the ship from Haifa - Rome filming the finished product.

gnomie :)

From the synopsis quoted above, it seems clear that the documentary will be mainly descriptive of the design/engineering process and, as such, it is difficult to see why one should approach it with any wholesale scepticism derived presumably from the US media. It may well be that the makers seek to criticise or disparage the design decisions on grounds of taste, of course, but why not? They are entitled to their opinions as are we.

The second post quoted suggests (it might not be the same documentary crew but it would certainly make sense if it were) that there will be coverage of the 'finished article' - again this may be critical as well as descriptive in content but, again, why not?

I look forward to viewing it with an open mind - almost as much as I look forward to stepping on board next June! :)

Just received this from Regent UK! Interesting that it being televised in the U.K. Rather than the US....

Explorer features in very own documentary

View as web page

Regent Seven Seas Cruises[emoji768]

THE MOST INCLUSIVE LUXURY EXPERIENCE[emoji769]

Graham's Pick of the Week

Explorer at sea

Exciting news for you. This Friday night (2 December) Channel 5 will be showing the first episode of a two-part documentary on our very own Seven Seas Explorer and what it takes to build the world's most luxurious ship. It will be a really interesting insight into the vision, challenges, and delivery of this amazing ship. Please tune in, or if you are busy, don't forget to set your recorder.

The first episode, which is at 9pm on Friday, begins with CEO Frank Del Rio outlining his vision for the ship and joins him in a personal quest to acquire £5 milion worth of art, fit to adorn the floating palace of luxury. The episode goes on to illustrate the meticulous planning taken by the ship's interior designers as they try to balance unparalleled opulence with the engineering practicalities of a 6-star floating hotel.

With the steel structure assembled, the second episode, which airs 9pm Friday 9 December, picks up the story eight months before the ship's maiden voyage. To minimise vibrations on board, specially designed propellers are delicately installed and then it's a race against time for the 1500 workers to ensure that all the luxury fixtures and fittings are up to standard, ready to welcome the first guests on board - a challenge that could have cost the company $25 million in reputation if not met. This episode also charts Seven Seas Explorer's essential seafaring milestones and requirements, such as her first nail-biting manoeuvre afloat, and the ship's sea trials, which, among other rigorous assessments, include the testing of the anchor and launching of life boats.

For those of you who have been fortunate enough to cruise on Explorer, it will be a nice look back to the very beginning of her life and for those who haven't, well I am sure this will tempt you to pick up the phone and make sure you are booked - Explorer is rapidly becoming the 'must do' product in travel.

Look out on Saturday morning as I have a special Pick of the Week for you featuring Seven Seas Explorer.

Edited by englandsrose

This is not a news type film where people's views are sort. It is a DOCUMENTARY. Which basically is fact. Channel 5 are very good and very experienced in documentaries.

Edited by DreamflightPat

Has anyone been able to figure out how to stream this from the US?

For our UK friends, when you go to the links posted earlier for Channel 5, is there an option to stream the video? If so, a hyperlink to the exact location would be helpful. Then I can play the VPN game.

As an engineer, I'd really like to see this documentary...it might help to was our nearly 4 months before we'll be on board Explorer!

englandsrose would have had difficulty posting the email from Regent earlier, since it was only sent today, I assume, to all Regent clients in the UK? (We each received a copy) I'm pleased it was posted here, if only to draw a line under one particular thread to this conversation.

Portolan, I posted a couple of weblinks earlier in the thread which might/might not work outside the UK. I know of several people who manage to watch UK television overseas by masking their location by means of a VPN, but have no personal experience of such things. Channel 5 has a YouTube channel which shows some of their shows, but I have no idea how those are selected or how recent they are. If I come across a means of sharing, I will....

Portolan, I posted a couple of weblinks earlier in the thread which might/might not work outside the UK. I know of several people who manage to watch UK television overseas by masking their location by means of a VPN, but have no personal experience of such things. Channel 5 has a YouTube channel which shows some of their shows, but I have no idea how those are selected or how recent they are. If I come across a means of sharing, I will....

The links work and describe the episodes, but there is no indication at those sites that the programs are streamable. That's why I asked what you in the UK get at those links. Can you click on an episode and get a stream? No use pursuing the VPN approach if they aren't streaming the program within the UK. It looks to be just references to broadcast times.

Normally they won't be added to the streaming channel until they have been broadcast. If you can access anything currently on the streaming channel then it's safe to assume you will be able to see the documentary once it's on there, so it's worth testing out on one of the shows already showing if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There has been various questions in this thread regarding the live or 'catch up' streaming of this programme, which is being shown on Channel 5 in the UK this evening.

Several of us have posted links for streaming however there are a few issues to know about.

1. The programme, whilst being shown on Channel 5, has been made by what appears to be a respected documentary maker named Windfall Films. The link to their website is http://www.windfallfilms.com/index.aspx

2. Individuals can make their own assumptions on the involvement of the cruise line in the documentary.

3. Channel 5 do not appear to broadcast their programmes live on their website. This appears in their Q&A - Unfortunately we are unable to live stream Channel 5, 5 USA, 5 Star or Spike on our website.

4. The 'catch up' streaming service referred to by serval posters on here - My5 - is not available outside of the UK and requires registration to watch, including a UK postcode.

5. Channel 5 have stated on their website - Unfortunately, we only buy the rights for transmission of programmes in the United Kingdom and the terms of our broadcast licence do not permit us to transmit outside of the UK, this includes our Demand 5/My5 services and any Channel 5 apps.

6. A bit more about the programme is shown on what appears to be a trade website - http://www.traveldailymedia.com/244421/seven-seas-explorer-documentary-building-the-worlds-most-luxurious-cruise-ship-on-channel-5/

So it appears that those outside of the UK are out of luck but if you know your way around the above - good luck !

machotspur:

Thanks for the additional information. The content is, in fact, geo-blocked so one would have to resort to some trickery to defeat that (in violation of the terms of use).

I guess we'll have to see if it shows up on YouTube or elsewhere.

Just finished watching the programme here in the UK.

I hope all our our overseas CC followers who are travelling on this new ship manage to view this programme because it is very interesting viewing. The first episode has focussed very much on the engineering challenges facing the construction team.

My view is that the challenges faced are the same for any cruise ship construction but it is very interesting viewing anyway.

Neil

I just watched it here in Australia and found it very interesting. It is a serious documentary and not an advertorial for RSSC so regardless of whether you've ever sailed on a cruise ship of whatever line, it will be of informative.

And yes I used VPN Hola to view the programme - I'm certainly not endorsing this or any other VPN, but it worked for me. I suspect it will turn up on the Discovery channel (or similar) at some point. It had that kind of 'feel'.

And watch out for a couple of epic (and tragic) 'heroic failures' I was unaware of used to illustrate the rationale behind modern shipbuilding techniques.

Thanks for the confirmation that a VPN works Catpow! I have friends who watch uk tv in the USA by means of one but without first hand, direct experience, I felt unable to reiterate that advice.

I agree, it was a fascinating programme that highlighted all manner of engineering challenges that I would never think of. The geographical separation of the various shipyards/foundries was fascinating, especially when the whole thing came together. My favourite part was the launch of part of the hull which at that moment was a short, stubby bit of ship without the sleek lines of the finished bow. This little ugly duckling still warranted the prayers and champagne ceremony and I think I breathed an audible sigh of relief when all went according to plan (even though I knew that it would...We know how the story ends, don't we?)

I agree that it was a well made and interesting programme - don't understand why it was not shown in the US, but no doubt it will be. This first programme of two was a revelation to me (not engineering minded!) of how a ship like this is constructed nowadays, and what was shown would apply to most new ships. The new Seabourn ships are also built at Fincantieri. The second one will doubtless be more applicable just to the Explorer, as it will show the furnishings etc.

Did they mention how overweight the Explorer was becoming at one point? From what I have heard and read, the Explorer has more granite, marble and glass than other ships (and don't forget the giant prayer wheel outside of Pacific Rim -- wish I could remember how much it weighs but it is definitely over the top in terms of weight).

Did they mention how overweight the Explorer was becoming at one point? From what I have heard and read, the Explorer has more granite, marble and glass than other ships (and don't forget the giant prayer wheel outside of Pacific Rim -- wish I could remember how much it weighs but it is definitely over the top in terms of weight).

Yes they did. They touched on the design issues with this extra weight (I suspect they will address it in more detail next week when the fitting out is shown). They did show a lightweight honeycomb thingy which they mounted the (presumably thinner) pieces of marble on. Interesting programme.

Very good viewing - the issues re: stability & layout were intriguing. The whole concept of the build, transport & assembly of the various sections and the use of some old/traditional techniques was really illuminating.

Great stuff. Looking forward to part two.