A bottle on scotch at embarkation

nbsjcruiser

Depends on the embarkation port. Some are strict others not so much.

From our experience.........

When boarding (embarkation port) there are no Ship security at the initial check.

Pier security will probably not take it or let you take it on.

They could care less what you want to do and will most likely dispose of it.

There instructions are wine only and NO ALCOHOL.

If its a port stop then thats a different story.

OP you may trying to put it in your luggage and write a note on the bottle letting them know your intentions.

It is very true that it varies by embarkation port, and probably by cruise for that matter. When we embarked on the Ruby in September in Vancouver there was a NCL ship going out at the same time.

They were running one security line for both ships and everyone was being told that all liquids including bottled water had to be dumped because they were not allowed past security and on board. I was super glad that we were not carrying anything on because there were a couple of very upset Princess pax trying to explain that the rules were not the same for NCL and Princess and it seemed like the port security did not care.

Yep, I'm with Pablo222 - drink said whiskey and make some new friends while you're at it!

One bottle of wine per adult passenger can be brought onto the ship at embarkation without paying a corkage fee. If you bring it to a dining room, you will be charged a corkage fee then. No corkage fee if you drink it in your cabin.

Additional bottles of wine may be brought on board at embarkation with the payment of the corkage fee before you board the ship (may be charged to your on board account). You may consume those in the dining room without an additional corkage fee.

Yet had a friend that brought a CASE of wine aboard for a 30 day cruise expecting to pay the $15 corkage fee but was not charged...

So...I was trying to be a good "hostess" to a bunch of friends I organized a cruise for. I made 4 welcome aboard packages. Each contained a small bottle of cognac. From Princess' Elite Bars over a period of cruises. I was made to pull them from my carry on by a security screener. Mind you...these are the same bottles I took off the ship from the Elite bar. I could not bring them back on the ship for a different cruise.

So...I was trying to be a good "hostess" to a bunch of friends I organized a cruise for. I made 4 welcome aboard packages. Each contained a small bottle of cognac. From Princess' Elite Bars over a period of cruises. I was made to pull them from my carry on by a security screener. Mind you...these are the same bottles I took off the ship from the Elite bar. I could not bring them back on the ship for a different cruise.

Sounds like you had an overzealous checker. Next time carry the small bottles in your pocket instead of checked luggage or put them in your checked luggage. They have so many bags to check, small bottles are often overlooked.

One bottle of wine per adult passenger can be brought onto the ship at embarkation without paying a corkage fee. If you bring it to a dining room, you will be charged a corkage fee then. No corkage fee if you drink it in your cabin.

Additional bottles of wine may be brought on board at embarkation with the payment of the corkage fee before you board the ship (may be charged to your on board account). You may consume those in the dining room without an additional corkage fee.

Thanks now I need a store to buy these at San Pedro. Don't want to carry bottles in checked bags.

Sounds like you had an overzealous checker. Next time carry the small bottles in your pocket instead of checked luggage or put them in your checked luggage. They have so many bags to check, small bottles are often overlooked.

Lots of maybe the next time. Thanks...I had thought about adding the cognac after I got on board, but wanted to have the welcome gifts before luggage arrived. Oh, well. No loss...Hope the checker enjoyed the bottles.

FYI - they took the bottle and disposed of it. I was 100% honest up front, showed them I had the bottle and asked that they put it aside and return it to me at the end of the cruise. They wouldn't play ball though and the bottle is likely sitting in someone's liquor cabinet today.

Not a huge deal to me to be honest. I'll know better next time.

FYI - they took the bottle and disposed of it. I was 100% honest up front, showed them I had the bottle and asked that they put it aside and return it to me at the end of the cruise. They wouldn't play ball though and the bottle is likely sitting in someone's liquor cabinet today.

Not a huge deal to me to be honest. I'll know better next time.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what happened. Facts are always great.

I personally doubt the bottle is in someone's liquor cabinet. If that were discovered and subsequently proven, it would be a public relations nightmare for Princess. I suppose you could have asked to witness the disposal process...

Not to condone breaking the rules... but there was probably a 50/50 shot of getting it on-board just tucking it in your checked bag and not saying anything about it. Worse case scenario, they find it and call you to the naughty room to dispose of it. Best case, it sits in your cabin until you disembark.

Sorry they weren't cool about it and locked it up for you for the week. Would have really been a shame if it was something special.

Not to condone breaking the rules... but there was probably a 50/50 shot of getting it on-board just tucking it in your checked bag and not saying anything about it. Worse case scenario, they find it and call you to the naughty room to dispose of it. Best case, it sits in your cabin until you disembark.

True. Some are just lucky in taking chances as long as they don't lie when asked. No regrets when discarded. Better to just bring the allowed wine.

Edited by easyboy

I would never do that either. ;) But, a very bad boy might pour the scotch into in a wine bottle and recork it.

Your learning. :D

You're also in tune.

Unfortunately, however, if enough people get caught doing that, then the various lines just get tired of catching them and outlaw the bringing of any drinks, whether water, soda, wine or anything else drinkable on board!

Tom

Bingo.

Unfortunately, however, if enough people get caught doing that, then the various lines just get tired of catching them and outlaw the bringing of any drinks, whether water, soda, wine or anything else drinkable on board!

But, how would they catch people?

Tom

Yeah but its my cruise......remember? :rolleyes:

Tom

What will be, will be and they'll still be forced to check every piece of luggage.

But, how would they catch people?

How? There could be any number of ways.

1. Hear a conversation where one person is saying "Yeah, I just snuck a bottle of bourbon/rum/whatever on board in my luggage."

2. Find an empty bottle in the trashcan in a room (or in a trashcan somewhere on the ship.)

3. See a bottle of booze somewhere in a stateroom when an occupant forgot to stash it away in the morning.

4. Catch someone sneaking a bottle into someplace on the ship.

5. Find bottles in checked-in luggage coming on the ship.

Of course, the last one is pretty much always going to get caught (unless it's pretty cleverly disguised) going through the scanners when it's checked in. But regardless of how or how often they're caught, if it happens often enough, at some point somebody is probably going to say "Okay, let's eliminate this problem once and for all and do away with any and all alcohol (or bottled water or soda or whatever is being discussed) coming on board." I would suspect, and it's just a suspicion as I have absolutely no knowledge of the reason(s) behind it, that something similar is the reason behind some cruse lines not allowing any bottled water being brought on their ships. I don't know whether any lines ban any sodas or not but I know that at least one does, or did last year anyway, ban the bringing on of bottled water.

Oh, one interesting thing I saw happen once was a couple were told that they couldn't bring on a bottle of some alcohol of some sort so they say out in front of the terminal building and drank as much of the bottle that they had as they could, threw the rest away and then staggered in to process onto the ship! Funny! :D

Tom

I know this is too late to help the OP but we had a similar situation last year.

We did semi B2B cruises (2 different ships, 2 different itineraries) and the first cruise went to St. Maarten, the second didn't.

Our daughter loves Guavaberry liquer so we bought her a bottle (on the first cruise). (St. Maarten is the only place you can buy it)

I boarded the second cruise with the bottle in my hands and walked directly over to the "wine" table. The young man there said the usual "can't bring liquor" - and I said I didn't want to drink it , just wanted the ship to take it and store it as they would if I had purchased it in a port.

He kept saying he couldn't and I kept saying I didn't want to drink it - just wanted to take it home. He finally called over someone older (or with more authority) and they just told me to get on board with it.

It was a fancy bottle and maybe obviously a gift so I don't know if the OP's scotch would be as obviously a gift but it can be done and done totally above board.