Souvenirs?

Cruznjuly

First time to Alaska...

Friends are telling us that everything is super expensive and to not count on those cheap

Souvenir shops that seem to be at every port. Is this true?

All I really want is a hoodie that says ALASKA, and I suppose I can order from Amazon. LOL

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've read on CC that Tongass Trading in Ketchikan has some of the best prices... (There are multiple theories on this subject regarding which town has the best prices... Since I may not choose to shop in each port, so I take that information with a grain of salt.)

I have to admit that I'm not super price conscious with hoodies & the like. I'm willing to pay more for the one that I like instead of trying to find the cheapest one possible.;) &&&& If the vendor with whom I am taking an excursion is selling shirts, I am more inclined to purchase that shirt over those in the shops. But that is me.

Don't worry. There's plenty of cheap, made in China souvenirs to be found, if you want that kind of stuff. If you want unique, locally made/designed souvenirs, you should expect to pay more.

Oh we Love all of that stuff too… Have a case full of tchotchkes from different places.

I was specifically asking about a Hoodie, but thanks.

Oh we Love all of that stuff too… Have a case full of tchotchkes from different places.

Tongass is cheap and has a lot of t-shirts, jackets and sweatshirts. I didn't buy a hoodie but most likely. They are in Ketchikan.

There are T-shirt shops in Juneau and Skagway that are also very cheap.

Look for the official made in Alaska logos, there are 2. One looks black bear, other is black hand. They are well advertised in ship information sessions/sheets.

The ulu knife and chopping boards are in my mind the best purchase, something made there and useful everyday. Got one on first cruise many years ago and use often, great for arthritic hands.

Last cruise I bought a musk ox nachiq/smokering in Anchorage, although expensive, is from a cooperative supporting native knitters. Again an useful wearable souvenir bought as a retirement gift from my coworkers and supports a community.

Juneau, buy smoked salmon, nice reminder of Alaska to enjoy once at home.Alaskan Tshirt company has all the usual stuff but also has ball caps with logos, some very cheap.

Ketchikan definitely Tongass Trading for hoodies, shirts and collectibles. Also have Alaska logo jackets that come in very handy it weather is cooler or damp.They give out huge shopping bags. If this port is early in cruise, shop here and get that task over with.

Totem poles are everywhere but a great number are from overseas, so be selective.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At places like the Alaska Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bear at Sitka are gift shop areas with not overly expensive items. I saw hoodies at both places that will have unique designs on them that you won't see elsewhere - something you won't see on other people. Watch for places like that. Here are some examples:

Paw+Print+Hoody.jpg?format=500w

Adult+CB+Hoodies.jpg?format=500w

Adult-Block-Eagle-Hoodie-Cherry-28.99-510x600.jpg

At places like the Alaska Raptor Center and Fortress of the Bear at Sitka are gift shop areas with not overly expensive items. I saw hoodies at both places that will have unique designs on them that you won't see elsewhere - something you won't see on other people. Watch for places like that. Here are some examples:

Paw+Print+Hoody.jpg?format=500w

Adult+CB+Hoodies.jpg?format=500w

Adult-Block-Eagle-Hoodie-Cherry-28.99-510x600.jpg

[emoji7] OK wow!! Now THIS is what I'm talking about. Thanks!

We bought souvenirs at places that supported like the local Native Americans or the nature centre. We didn't mind paying more and supporting better good causes. Of course they were more though

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is an excellent point. I'll remember that. Thank you!

Look for the official made in Alaska logos, there are 2. One looks black bear, other is black hand. They are well advertised in ship information sessions/sheets.

The ulu knife and chopping boards are in my mind the best purchase, something made there and useful everyday. Got one on first cruise many years ago and use often, great for arthritic hands.

Last cruise I bought a musk ox nachiq/smokering in Anchorage, although expensive, is from a cooperative supporting native knitters. Again an useful wearable souvenir bought as a retirement gift from my coworkers and supports a community.

Juneau, buy smoked salmon, nice reminder of Alaska to enjoy once at home.Alaskan Tshirt company has all the usual stuff but also has ball caps with logos, some very cheap.

Ketchikan definitely Tongass Trading for hoodies, shirts and collectibles. Also have Alaska logo jackets that come in very handy it weather is cooler or damp.They give out huge shopping bags. If this port is early in cruise, shop here and get that task over with.

Totem poles are everywhere but a great number are from overseas, so be selective.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wrote down all your suggestions in my notebook. Thank you so much.

The same answer applies for t-shirts, hoodies, etc. There is plenty of cheap stuff, styles that could be found anywhere but just happen to say Alaska on them. Local styles like Ray Troll and others mentioned in this thread are more expensive, but worth it.

Is this what you’re looking for https://tongasstrading.com/category/6/21/Sweatshirts-%26-Hoodies/?subcategory=Women%2527s The Tongass Trading Company is open year around, it’s not one those tourist stores that is open only during cruise season. My niece and her husband shop there a lot, they live at Metakatla on Annette Island. The locals shop upstairs at the Tongass Trading company.

I've read on CC that Tongass Trading in Ketchikan has some of the best prices... (There are multiple theories on this subject regarding which town has the best prices... Since I may not choose to shop in each port, so I take that information with a grain of salt.)

I have to admit that I'm not super price conscious with hoodies & the like. I'm willing to pay more for the one that I like instead of trying to find the cheapest one possible.;) &&&& If the vendor with whom I am taking an excursion is selling shirts, I am more inclined to purchase that shirt over those in the shops. But that is me.

I agree that Tongass Trading in Ketchikan has a big selection and good prices. When you get off your ship walk to the left and you can't miss it. They also have multi-coloured muskoka chairs outside that you can sit it. Off topic - there are also some excursion tour booths on shore and we picked up a great two hour bus tour that took us out of Ketchikan to areas one does not normally see. I think we paid $35each.

I agree that Tongass Trading in Ketchikan has a big selection and good prices. When you get off your ship walk to the left and you can't miss it. They also have multi-coloured muskoka chairs outside that you can sit it. Off topic - there are also some excursion tour booths on shore and we picked up a great two hour bus tour that took us out of Ketchikan to areas one does not normally see. I think we paid $35each.

That depends on what dock you are at!