[LIVE] From the Serenade of the Seas 2-12 December 2016

If RCI and Park West were not making money, I am sure there would be no art auctions on board.

I do enjoy looking at the art on display even though there is nothing that I like.

However, on many of the paintings the skill level of the artist is truly spectacular!

DSCN0553_zpsp6d2phhr.jpg

DSCN0549_zpsadju62a1.jpg

DSCN0552_zpsimrl1e3g.jpg

DSCN0551_zps30mpgpff.jpg

We booked two (2) new cruises a few days ago.

Serenade of the Seas, 5 Feb 2018, 11 night Deluxe Southern Caribbean, sailing from Fort Lauderdale.

Rhapsody of the Seas, 29 April 2018, 7 night Western Caribbean, sailing from Tampa.

- We booked the second one on the Rhapsody to get the on board credit and low down payment but when the same cruise becomes available in the fall of2018 we will switch it.

- Both cruises have ports that we have not been to yet.

If RCI and Park West were not making money, I am sure there would be no art auctions on board.

I do enjoy looking at the art on display even though there is nothing that I like.

However, on many of the paintings the skill level of the artist is truly spectacular!

DSCN0549_zpsadju62a1.jpg

This is a Cheval by Michael Cheval specializes in Absurdist Paintings. We have this one and one he did with John Lennon in the scene.

We like his art as well as Scott Jacobs.

We booked two (2) new cruises a few days ago.[/b}

- We booked the second one on the Rhapsody to get the on board credit and low down payment but when the same cruise becomes available in the fall of2018 we will switch it.

- Both cruises have ports that we have not been to yet.

Are you going to switch Rhapsody to another ship? Tell us what new ports are included.

We've cruised a couple of times in early December and that seems to be about the level of the decorations. I don't expect or need any more. Don't want the ship to look like a Christmas shop!!

Jim, it has been such fun to travel with you again, even though this one is on-line. And your timing couldn't have been better. I will be on this same ship and itinerary the end of Feb. It has been a while since I have been on this class of ship and your review has helped me make some dining decisions. I love the specialty restaurants but if Chops is that bad (it was GREAT on the Independence a few weeks ago) I may be eating in the WJ a few times. Jon passed away a couple of years ago so I now cruise solo and they usually put me at a table by myself for MTD - even if I say I would sit with a group. So it is more enjoyable and the service is better in other locations.

Glad you and Judith are having such a great cruise and your Live From report has been wonderful. Thank you!

Today is a Windjammer Day!

My Breakfast while Judith slept

DSCN0556_zpsy1ug9o50.jpg

We both had lunch

Judith

DSCN0561_zpsa1fz8wyy.jpg

Me

DSCN0562_zpsunqywceo.jpg

This is the first time I had burgers, hot dogs, or pizza on this cruise and I was impressed!

The burgers are bigger, maybe 1/3 pound, and taste better. The hot dogs are all beef and taste great! They were toasting both the hamburger and,hot dog buns!

The Pizza did not taste like cardboard as so many people like to say. It was way better than school cafeteria and US Army Mess Hall pizza but not as good as a high end pizza restaurant.

Are you going to switch Rhapsody to another ship? Tell us what new ports are included.

We've cruised a couple of times in early December and that seems to be about the level of the decorations. I don't expect or need any more. Don't want the ship to look like a Christmas shop!!

I agree, same as past years and they also have the big Christmas tree in the Dining Room Was surprised Santa was here this morning giving presents and taking pictures which I though a little early. Only about 20-25 kids on board. No Xmas music yet which is fine by me, we'll see next week.

A few days ago we were in the RCI shops and I noticed a little kid, maybe 2 years old, grab a stuffed animal from a bottom shelf and hold it up to his dad and give him the "buy me this" look.

The Dad shook his head "no" and pointed to the shelf while giving the "put it back" look to the kid.

The cute little kid started to pout, but the stuffed animal back, and immediately ran ahead of his dad a few feet and then dropped to the floor. He assumed the "bad puppy" position with his knees on the floor, his fore arms on the floor, and lowered his forehead to the floor.

The dad walked by, bent over and reached under the kid and swooped him up and carried him out of the store.

The entire episode didn't last more than 20 seconds and I never had a chance to grab my camera. Neither the Dad nor the kid made a sound.

I had never seen this happen before although several women told me it is a common pouting position for many little kids.

I thought is was both funny and cute and wish I had had my camera ready to go for a photo.

Yesterday Jack & Kathie went ashore to Kay's Fine Jewelry to get ear rings to match Kathie's gold necklace with the C&A Emblem.

Jack got a nifty free hat!

DSCN0545_zpscdmbkbai.jpg

DSCN0544_zps2buypyhy.jpg

I got one of their shirts in Aruba, I was thinking of wearing it to dinner as it was a collared shirt until SO saw the same stuff on the back of the shirt. Too funny.

We talked with the Assistant Engineer this morning and he said this occurs when they change throttle settings on the engines. They commonly do this to make sure the two propellers are driving the ship in a straight line without having to turn the rudders a bit to keep going straight,

If they are only adjusting one engine than the "shudder" will seem to come from that side of the ship.

If they are adjusting both engines than the "shudder" will be felt equally on both sides of the ship.

Now we all know! :)

We always say the ship went over a whale!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for a great review. We were on Serenade last December and dressed up as Santa and 5 elves. Seems like RC liked our idea since RC has Santa on ships this year.

We will be on Serenade in Feb. can you tell me what the charge is for Rita's? We are thinking of trying it, especially after your good review.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked another cruise on the Navigator which will replace the one on the Serenade in 2018.

9 nights on the Navigator sailing on 16 Feb 2018

DSCN0567_zpsdegspffa.jpg

This Navigator cruise is the same one we are doing Feb. 17, 2017 .. missed being on a cruise with you by one year ☹️

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was nice chatting with you and your lovely Judith in the Windjammer today. After reading your interesting blogs for years, it's great to finally meet you two.

We are enjoying this Serenade cruise as well. Loved the Christmas carols sung tonite in the Centrum with 'snow' falling from above.

This Navigator cruise is the same one we are doing Feb. 17, 2017 .. missed being on a cruise with you by one year ☹️

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, but you will get to see some of the Carnival festivities on your sailing in 2017. We are on Feb 3., and I just recently realized that we will miss them.