wanting to try Celebrity 2018

jenniferop

Hello All,

Hubby and I are avid cruisers - but we are running out of Caribbean islands to visit...so we are looking at our first European cruise for 2018, also traveling with our (will be by then) 23 DS and my DM. And we are really looking at Celebrity (especially since the Good, Better, Best sale is going on right now) ? I think that's the promo name.

So my question to all you seasoned Celebrity cruisers is ,what ship? Pricing is all about the same for the Concierge Class - so it's all about the ship and ITN.

Choices are:

Reflection - 10night - Italy and Greece

Reflection - 11night - Italy, France, Spain

Constellation - 10night - Italy, France and Spain

Eclipse - 12night - Spain, France and Italy

thoughts? suggestions?

We did our first Celebrity Europe cruise this past August. Had the best time and can't wait to go again. We did an 8 night started in Barcelona and ended in Venice. We were on the Constellation. Loved the ship,it was just one sea day so it's really about what country's and cities you want to see. I wanted to see as many country's I could in the short time. We are booking a 2018 cruise on on the Reflection now going to Italy, Malta and Greece and it's 10 nights. What ever cruise you choose you will love it, we can't wait to go again!!

Choices are:

thoughts? suggestions?

As a Brit, I've been to France many times, and also Spain. So for me, Greece and to a lesser extent Italy would be my first choice. Eastern Med is IMHO more "different" than the West. If you've never been to Europe, then any of the above would be be good.

Stuart

We did our first Celebrity Europe cruise this past August. Had the best time and can't wait to go again. We did an 8 night started in Barcelona and ended in Venice. We were on the Constellation. Loved the ship,it was just one sea day so it's really about what country's and cities you want to see. I wanted to see as many country's I could in the short time. We are booking a 2018 cruise on on the Reflection now going to Italy, Malta and Greece and it's 10 nights. What ever cruise you choose you will love it, we can't wait to go again!!

thanks - yes that is the Reflection cruise I was referring to - left off Malta:) We were originally looking at Oct 2018 but looks like to get the deal(s) you have to sale by end of Sept...

Just can't decide between the ships - I like Reflection the best - but since we may not get back to Europe anytime soon - I also like the idea of 12 days over 10 (not that 2 days makes a huge difference).

thanks for your opinion - glad you had a great time - any cruise is my idea of a great vaca!!

As a Brit, I've been to France many times, and also Spain. So for me, Greece and to a lesser extent Italy would be my first choice. Eastern Med is IMHO more "different" than the West. If you've never been to Europe, then any of the above would be be good.

Stuart

Thanks, yes, I have been to Europe (land vaca with my best friend in 2012) and DH has been to Greece with the Navy but 20+ years ago. But Son and my Mother have not nor will my Mother probably get another chance - she has family in Rome so that is a Priority. I do think we are leaning towards the Reflection 10 Italy and Greece - just wanted opinions of all that have been there done that:)

Do to our jobs we can only go in July and August so I know we will pay more but i'm Ok with that if I can get some perks. We and classic bev package and tips package. It was so nice to never worry about how many drinks i ordered. We booked our August cruise 7 months out and thought we got a good deal so i'm starting early for our 2018 Europe cruise looking for the best deal. We are sailing on the Equinox to the Caribbean this July and may book the 2018 Europe cruise then if I can get a better deal.You can always book and cancel if something better come along.

All the cruises you mentioned would be good. I can assume what ports are offered, since I am familiar with the usual ports in those countries. We have done four cruises that included the Med as well as living in Germany four years and doing much land travel there.

I am an ancient history buff and love Italy and Greece the most for the Med. Spain and France are fine, but for history Italy and then Greece are awesome. Also, as Stuart pointed out the Eastern Med is different from the rest of Europe.

Not sure if one of your cruises includes Venice, but that is a great city to visit on a cruise. For Greece, Santorini and Mykonos are awesome.

Going to the Med in the Summer it will be very hot. Temps in the 90s and humid. You will wear a shirt for one day and that is it, you will need to wash it. If you can go in May or September, that would be better.

We never pick a cruise based on the ship. We go for the itinerary. Most of our cruises have been on the M class (Constellation) not the S class (larger more modern). We like both and love Celebrity, especially the dining.

Don't waste your money on a Concierge cabin, the cabins are the same on the S class and only slightly larger on the M. I do recommend a balcony. Look for private, money saving tours on your roll call here on cc for tours to join.

Look at some of the reviews on cc from others for ideas.

Here are some of my reviews for Europe.

Black Sea and E. Med

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=228545

Spain, Canary Islands and Morocco

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80907

E. Med and Adriatic, NCL Gem

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=70129

W. Med *NCL Epic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103808

British Isles

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221137

All the cruises you mentioned would be good. I can assume what ports are offered, since I am familiar with the usual ports in those countries. We have done four cruises that included the Med as well as living in Germany four years and doing much land travel there.

I am an ancient history buff and love Italy and Greece the most for the Med. Spain and France are fine, but for history Italy and then Greece are awesome. Also, as Stuart pointed out the Eastern Med is different from the rest of Europe.

Not sure if one of your cruises includes Venice, but that is a great city to visit on a cruise. For Greece, Santorini and Mykonos are awesome.

Going to the Med in the Summer it will be very hot. Temps in the 90s and humid. You will wear a shirt for one day and that is it, you will need to wash it. If you can go in May or September, that would be better.

We never pick a cruise based on the ship. We go for the itinerary. Most of our cruises have been on the M class (Constellation) not the S class (larger more modern). We like both and love Celebrity, especially the dining.

Don't waste your money on a Concierge cabin, the cabins are the same on the S class and only slightly larger on the M. I do recommend a balcony. Look for private, money saving tours on your roll call here on cc for tours to join.

Look at some of the reviews on cc from others for ideas.

Here are some of my reviews for Europe.

Black Sea and E. Med

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=228545

Spain, Canary Islands and Morocco

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80907

E. Med and Adriatic, NCL Gem

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=70129

W. Med *NCL Epic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103808

British Isles

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=221137

Perfect response - thank you! Unfortunately the ITN with Venice didn't have many ports Hubby was interested in...but good info about the Concierge class - the perks go all the way down to Ocean view but for 10 nights a balcony will be a must, I'll look at the veranda class - hopefully finding 2 cabins next to each other so we can open the divider.

My favorite cruise area is Eastern Med. And I like the Reflection very much. I would pick Reflection - 10night - Italy and Greece.

Next month I'm planning to book a Sky Suite for a cruise on Reflection August 31, 2018 Eastern Med. I'm thinking it will be our 4 time cruising the Eastern Med.

Naples is great for seeing Pompeii. Santorini to get your feet cleaned by fish. Athens to see the Acropolis.

We are going to do the July 20 2018 on the Reflection, same itinerary Veranda class. Just waiting for the best deal to come along. We really want to see Pompeii, last August we went to Capri and loved it but some friends we met on the ship said Pompeii is a must see.

The Eastern Med on Reflection would be my favorite. For an extensive review click on the link in my signature.

As to the ship: while we also like the smaller Constellation (M-Class) we prefer the more modern Reflection (S-Class). But you can't go wrong with both of them.

Enjoy!

We did the Reflection Italy and Greek Isles ten day cruise you referred to. We flew into Rome three days early to make it a full fortnight.

We loved the cruise. The ship blew us away, being able to see places like the Coliseum in Rome, the Acropolis in Athens, the utterly gorgeous Santorini and other beautiful Greek Islands as part of the itinerary was great. Sailing through the Messina straits was gorgeous.

The ship itself blew us away. Gorgeous public areas, such a feeling of space, immaculately clean. With the drinks package it was the cherry on top.

I've got a YouTube video of our trip if you want to see it let me know and I'll put up the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just can't decide between the ships - I like Reflection the best - but since we may not get back to Europe anytime soon - I also like the idea of 12 days over 10 (not that 2 days makes a huge difference). ...

We did a Mediterranean cruise and I think how many days you cruise is a big component of the decision. I would take the longest cruise you can. To me, two more days is a big deal.

The Med is a 'once in a lifetime' trip for some; and like someone else said, the flights to get there are long!

So the Eclipse 12 night cruise is my recommendation.

Save

We did the Reflection Italy and Greek Isles ten day cruise you referred to. We flew into Rome three days early to make it a full fortnight.

We loved the cruise. The ship blew us away, being able to see places like the Coliseum in Rome, the Acropolis in Athens, the utterly gorgeous Santorini and other beautiful Greek Islands as part of the itinerary was great. Sailing through the Messina straits was gorgeous.

The ship itself blew us away. Gorgeous public areas, such a feeling of space, immaculately clean. With the drinks package it was the cherry on top.

I've got a YouTube video of our trip if you want to see it let me know and I'll put up the link.

I second claudiniusmaximus. We sailed on the Solstice for a 10-day Eastern Mediterranean but spent a few days in Rome before the sailing. It was great, spending consecutive days on land exploring Rome and then sailing on a wonderful cruise with fabulous ports. Best of both worlds. Whatever you choose, it will be fabulous!

Hello All,

Hubby and I are avid cruisers - but we are running out of Caribbean islands to visit...so we are looking at our first European cruise for 2018, also traveling with our (will be by then) 23 DS and my DM. And we are really looking at Celebrity (especially since the Good, Better, Best sale is going on right now) ? I think that's the promo name.

So my question to all you seasoned Celebrity cruisers is ,what ship? Pricing is all about the same for the Concierge Class - so it's all about the ship and ITN.

Choices are:

thoughts? suggestions?

I'd go with the Eclipse 12 day cruise. You are going to 3 quite different countries, each of which will have very different sites to see & very varied cuisine. Which ever one you choose, have a blast.

We have done the eastern med before and it was fantastic; so much so, that we are doing it once again in 2018. You will fall in love with Italy...Capri, Amalfi, Positano, Sorrento and Ravello...Sicily is also wonderful too. The little town of Taormina is just a short ride from Messina and such a wonderful visit. You just have to see Greece too! So many of the islands are drop dead gorgeous... Having said that, I loved the Adriatic, Baltic etc...but I always love returning to Italy...it is like going back home again. If the ten day cruise seems too short for you, just add on some land days. Rome is so steeped in history that it never loses its charm. My DH could not believe how much he loved Rome! Don't say that you will never go back..once you go you will return...:) The final decision is yours, but do a few days on land too; you won't be sorry!

Make sure to let us know your final choice!

Edited by Lastdance

For me, I would choose the longest cruise. The flight to Europe is long and tiring. Thus, when I go I try to take B2B cruises so I am in Europe longer. Just another consideration.

Carolyn

we would love to do a B2B - but unfortunately price and limited vaca days make that a dream for now - maybe one day.

yes, please - (I may have already viewed) DH and I were looking at a few while trying to decide.

We did Celebrity's Western Med cruise ex UK on the Eclipse. In 2018 it will be on the Silhouette in early September so avoids the peak period. Itinerary has improved I think in 2018

14 nights with 6 sea days - Gibraltar - Nice - Rome - Florence - Corsica - Barcelona - Lisbon

Some European cruises are subject to extra tax on board (about 20%) this is something we would try to avoid, particularly if we didn't have a drinks package.

Looks like you are zeroing in on Italy, France and Spain, so I would chose one of the S class ships, in particular Reflection. As others have said, add to the cruise with a day or two before it starts or ends. Getting to the embarkation port early eliminates any travel problems you might have with delays etc and you board the ship rested instead of jet-lagged. Any of the cruises you have listed would be great so I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Europe is amazing.

Hello All,

Choices are:

thoughts? suggestions?

Have you looked at the 12 night Scandinavia & Russia Cruise on the Eclipse which leaves from Amsterdam - we are doing this as we specifically want to see St Petersberg. We are doing a land tour beforehand of Spain, Portugal & Morocco and feel we will probably need a rest afterwards!

We are going to do the July 20 2018 on the Reflection, same itinerary Veranda class. Just waiting for the best deal to come along. We really want to see Pompeii, last August we went to Capri and loved it but some friends we met on the ship said Pompeii is a must see.

Don't wait too long - you may miss the "Best deal"! You know what they say about birds in the hand.

Good luck